Dr Eisman holds a patent in relation to VDR and osteoporosis. All other authors have no conflict of interest.
Meta-Analysis of Molecular Association Studies: Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphisms and BMD as a Case Study†
Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 419–428, March 2004
How to Cite
Thakkinstian, A., D'Este, C., Eisman, J., Nguyen, T. and Attia, J. (2004), Meta-Analysis of Molecular Association Studies: Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphisms and BMD as a Case Study. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 419–428. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.0301265
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 17 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2003
- 1Anonymous 1998 Osteoporosis: Review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and cost-effectiveness analysis. Executive summary. Osteoporos Int 8(Suppl 4):S3–S80.
- 22000 Molecular epidemiology of vitamin D receptor gene variants. Epidemiol Rev 22:203–217., ,
- 31997 The genetic of osteoporosis. QJM 90:247–251.
- 41999 Genetics of osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 20:788–804.
- 51987 Genetic determinants of bone mass in adults: A twin study. J Clin Invest 80:706–710., , , , ,
- 61997 Genetic markers of bone metabolism and bone disease. Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl 227:114–121.
- 71994 Prediction of bone density from vitamin D receptor alleles. Nature 367:284–287., , , , , , ,
- 81977 Basic and clinical concepts related to vitamin D metabolism (first of two parts). N Engl J Med 297:974–983.,
- 92001 Pharmacogenetics of the vitamin D receptor and osteoporosis. Drug Metab Dispos 29:505–512.
- 101994 Meta-Analysis, decision Analysis and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis: Methods for Quantitative Synthesis in Medicine. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA.
- 112001 Systematic Reviews in Health Care: Meta-Analysis in Context, 2nd ed. BMJ Books, London, UK., ,
- 122001 Case-control association studies in pharmacogenetics. Pharmacogenomics J 1:157–158., ,
- 132000 Case-control association studies for the genetics of complex respiratory diseases. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 22:645–648.,
- 142001 Association studies in asthma genetics. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:2014–2015.
- 152003 Systematic review of meta-analyses of molecular association studies: Methodologic lesson for genetic epidemiology. J Clin Epidemiol 56:297–303., ,
- 162001 Current methods of the US Preventive Services Task Force: A review of the process. Am J Prev Med 20(Suppl 3):21–35., , , , , ,
- 172001 Hormone replacement therapy and cognition: Systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 285:1489–1499., , ,
- 181997 Spinal radiographic findings and nonspecific low back pain. A systematic review of observational studies. Spine 22:427–434., , ,
- 192003 A meta-analysis of the effect of dietary and supplementary calcium on bone health in women; too little, too late? Br J Nutr (in press), , ,
- 202002 A method for meta-analysis of molecular association studies. in press, , , ,
- 211998 Statistics in Human Genetics. Arnold, London, UK.
- 221998 Metan-an alternative meta-analysis command. Stata Tech Bull 44:4–15., ,
- 231994 Why sources of heterogeneity in meta-analysis should be investigated. BMJ 309:1351–1355.
- 241997 Investigating underlying risk as a source of heterogeneity in meta-analysis. Stat Med 16:2741–2758., ,
- 251999 Explaining heterogeneity in meta-analysis: A comparison of methods. Stat Med 18:2693–2708.,
- 261998 Tests for publication bias in meta-analysis. Stata Tech Bull 44:3–4., ,
- 271997 Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ 315:629–634., , ,
- 28StataCorp 2001 Stata Statistical Software: Release 7.0. Stata Corporation, Collage Station, TX, USA.
- 291994 Vitamin D receptor genotypes in osteoporosis. Lancet 344:949–950., , , , ,
- 301994 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism and bone mineral density in healthy Japanese women. Lancet 344:1027., , , , , ,
- 311995 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism, bone mass, body size, and vitamin D receptor density. Calcif Tissue Int 57:161–162., , , , ,
- 321995 The Bsm I vitamin D receptor restriction fragment length polymorphism (BB) predicts low bone density in premenopausal Black and White women. J Bone Miner Res 10:985–990., , ,
- 331995 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms do not predict bone turnover and bone mass in healthy premenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 10:1283–1288., , ,
- 341995 Genetic influences on bone density: Physiological correlates of vitamin D receptor gene alleles in premenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:2800–2805., , , , , ,
- 351995 Vitamin D receptor genotypes and bone mineral density. Lancet 345:1238., , , , ,
- 361995 The contribution of vitamin D receptor gene alleles to the determination of bone mineral density in normal and osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 10:991–996., , , , , , , , ,
- 371996 Fracture rate, pre-and postmenopausal bone mass and early and late postmenopausal bone loss are not associated with vitamin D receptor genotype in a high-endemic area of osteoporosis. Eur J Endocrinol 135:96–100., ,
- 381996 Genotypes of the vitamin-D-receptor gene and bone mineral density in Caucasoid postmenopausal females. Maturitas 24:91–96., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 391996 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms are not related to bone turnover, rate of bone loss, and bone mass in postmenopausal women: The OFELY study. J Bone Miner Res 11:827–834., , , ,
- 401996 Vitamin D receptor polymorphism, bone mineral density, and osteoporotic vertebral fracture: Studies in a UK population. Bone 18:249–252., , ,
- 411996 Relation of common allelic variation at vitamin D receptor locus to bone mineral density and postmenopausal bone loss: Cross sectional and longitudinal population study. BMJ 313:586–590., , , , ,
- 421996 The association between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and bone mineral density at the spine, hip and whole-body in premenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 6:63–68., , , , , , , ,
- 431996 Vitamin D receptor alleles, bone mineral density and turnover in premenopausal Japanese women. J Bone Miner Res 11:1003–1009., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 441996 A large-scale population-based study of association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms with bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 11:1241–1248., , , , , , , ,
- 451997 Vitamin D receptor alleles do not correlate with bone mineral density in premenopausal Caucasian women from the southeastern United States. Metabolism 46:224–226., ,
- 461997 Vitamin D receptor genotypes and intestinal calcium absorption in postmenopausal women. Calcif Tissue Int 61:460–463., , , , , , ,
- 471997 The effect of vitamin D supplementation on the bone mineral density of femoral neck is associated with vitamin D receptor genotype. J Bone Miner Res 12:1241–1245., , , , ,
- 481997 Polymorphisms of vitamin D receptor gene and its association with bone mineral density and osteocalcin in Chinese. Chin Med J (Engl) 110:366–371., , , , , ,
- 491997 The BsmI vitamin D receptor restriction fracment length polymorphism (bb) influences the effect of calcium intake on bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 12:1049–1057., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 501997 Vitamin D receptor polymorphisms, bone mineral density, and bone metabolism in postmenopausal Mexican-American women. J Bone Miner Res 12:234–240., , , , , , , , ,
- 511997 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism is associated with urinary calcium excretion but not with bone mineral density in postmenopausal women. J Endocrinol Invest 20:592–596., , , , , , , ,
- 521997 Influence of vitamin D receptor gene alleles on bone mineral density in postmenopausal and osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 12:241–247., , , ,
- 531997 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms, bone turnover, and rates of bone loss in older African-American women. J Bone Miner Res 12:1446–1452., , , ,
- 541998 Vitamin D and estrogen receptor allelic variants in Italian postmenopausal women: Evidence of multiple gene contribution to bone mineral density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:939–944., , , , , , , , , ,
- 551998 Vitamin D receptor alleles do not predict bone mineral density or bone loss in Danish perimenopausal women. Bone 22:571–575., , , , , ,
- 561998 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism: Correlation with bone mineral density in a Brazilian population with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Osteoporos Int 8:204–210., , , , , , , , , ,
- 571998 Does vitamin D receptor polymorphism influence the response of bone to brisk walking in postmenopausal women? Horm Res 50:315–319., , , , ,
- 581998 Bone mineral density and its change in white women: Estrogen and vitamin D receptor genotypes and their interaction. J Bone Miner Res 13:695–705., , , , , , , ,
- 591999 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms, bone mass, bone loss and prevalence of vertebral fracture: Differences in postmenopausal women and men. Osteoporos Int 10:175–182., , , , , , ,
- 601999 Early and late postmenopausal bone loss is associated with BsmI vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism in Japanese women. Calcif Tissue Int 64:102–106., , , ,
- 611999 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and bone mineral density in elderly Chinese men and women in Hong Kong. Osteoporos Int 10:226–230., , , , , , , ,
- 621999 Lack of association between body weight, bone mineral density and vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism in normal and osteoporotic women. Dis Markers 15:221–227., , , , , ,
- 631999 Determinants of peak bone mass: Clinical and genetic analyses in a young female Canadian cohort. J Bone Miner Res 14:633–643., , , , ,
- 641999 Lack of association between estrogen receptor genotypes and bone mineral density, fracture history, or muscle strength in elderly women. J Bone Miner Res 14:1576–1582., , , , , , , , ,
- 652000 Vitamin D and estrogen receptor polymorphisms and bone mineral changes in postpartum women. Calcif Tissue Int 66:184–189., , ,
- 662000 Polymorphisms in vitamin D receptor gene and bone mass, bone turnover and osteoporotic fractures. Eur J Clin Invest 30:608–617., , ,
- 672000 Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism with bone mineral density in Slovenian postmenopausal women. Gynecol Endocrinol 14:60–64., , ,
- 682001 Interaction between the vitamin D receptor gene and collagen type Ialpha1 gene in susceptibility for fracture. J Bone Miner Res 16:379–385., , , , , , ,
- 691995 Vitamin-D-receptor-gene polymorphisms and change in lumbar-spine bone mineral density. Lancet 345:423–424., , , , ,
- 702000 Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism is associated with birth height, growth to aldolescence, and adult stature in healthy caucasian men: A cross-sectional and longitudinal study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:1666–1671., ,
- 711996 Are vitamin D receptor polymorphisms associated with bone mineral density? A meta-analysis. J Bone Miner Res 11:1841–1849.,
- 721999 The association of bone mineral density with vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms. Osteoporos Int 9:55–64., , , , , ,
- 731990 A controlled trial of the effect of calcium supplementation on bone density in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 323:878–883., , , , ,
- 741990 Dietary modification with dairy products for preventing vertebral bone loss in premenopausal women: A three-year prospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 70:268–270., , , , , ,
- 751997 Variation in baseline risk as an explanation of heterogeneity in meta-analysis. Stat Med 16:2883–2900.