Dr Rubin served as a consultant for Exogen, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Smith & Nephew Orthopaedics Inc., and is an inventor of the technology. All other authors have no conflict of interest.
Low Magnitude Mechanical Loading Is Osteogenic in Children With Disabling Conditions†
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 360–369, March 2004
How to Cite
Ward, K., Alsop, C., Caulton, J., Rubin, C., Adams, J. and Mughal, Z. (2004), Low Magnitude Mechanical Loading Is Osteogenic in Children With Disabling Conditions. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 360–369. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.040129
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 16 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAY 2003
- 11892 The Law of Bone Remodelling. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- 21987 Bone “mass” and the “mechanostat:“ A proposal. Anat Rec 219:1–9.
- 31977 Humeral hypertrophy in response to exercise. J Bone J Surg Am 59:204–208., , , ,
- 41992 Fractures caused by falling from a wheelchair in patients with neuromuscular disease. Dev Med Child Neurol 34:589–592.
- 51987 Trabecular bone density and loading history: Regulation of connective tissue biology by mechanical energy. J Biomech 20:785–794., ,
- 62001 Low mechanical signals strengthen long bones. Nature 412:603–604., , , ,
- 72002 Quantity and quality of trabecular bone in the femur are enhanced by a strongly anabolic, non invasive mechanical intervention. J Bone Miner Res 17:349–357., , , , , ,
- 82001 The anabolic activity of bone tissue, suppressed by disuse, is normalized by brief exposure to extremely low magnitude mechanical stimuli. FASEB J 15:2225–2229., ,
- 91999 Changes in postural muscle dynamics as a function of age. J Gerentol A Biol Sci Med Sci 54:B353–B357., ,
- 102000 Quantifying the strain history of bone: Spatial uniformity and self similarity of low magnitude strains. J Biomech 33:317–325., ,
- 111997 Testing the daily stress stimulus theory of bone adaptation with natural and experimentally controlled strain histories. J Biomech 30:671–678., , , , ,
- 121994 Spontaneous fractures in children and adolescents with cerebral palsy. BMJ 309:265.,
- 131994 Osteopenia in cerebral palsy. Arch Dis Child 71:235–238., , ,
- 141995 Bone mineral density in children and adolescents who have spastic cerebral palsy. J Bone J Surg Am 77:1671–1681., ,
- 151996 Osteopenia in children: CT assessment. Radiology 198:781–784., , , , ,
- 161997 Bone density and other possible predictors of fracture risk in children and adolescents with spastic quadriplegia. Dev Med Child Neurol 39:224–227.
- 172000 Early identification of children predisposed to low peak bone mass and osteoporosis later in life. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3908–3918., , , , ,
- 182001 Bone mineral density in children with cerebral palsy. Pediatr Int 43:157–160., , , , ,
- 191996 Mobility status and bone density in cerebral palsy. Arch Dis Child 75:164–165., , , ,
- 201962 Growth at Adolescence, 2nd ed. Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
- 211988 Vertebral bone density in children: Effect of puberty. Radiology 166:847–850., , , , , , , , ,
- 221997 Whole-body vibration in the skeleton: Development of a resonance-based testing device. Ann Biomed Eng 25:831–839., , ,
- 231980 Precision measurement of vertebral mineral content using computed tomography. J Comput Assist Tomogr 4:493–500.,
- 241987 Quantitative CT applications: Comparison of current scanners. Radiology 162:257–261.
- 251998 Radiation dose for CT scans. Personal communication, October 20, 1998.
- 261995 Accurate assessment of precision errors: How to measure the reproducibility of bone densitometry techniques. Osteoporos Int 5:262–270., , , , ,
- 272003 A randomised controlled pilot trial of standing programme on bone mineral density in non-ambulant children with cerebral palsy. Arch Dis Child. (in press), , , , ,
- 281999 Precision of Mindways Software. Personal communication, February 1999.
- 291999 Assessment of vertebral bone mineral density using volumetric quantitative CT. J Comput Assist Tomogr 23:130–137., , ,
- 301984 Dynamic strain similarity in vertebrates; an alternative to allometric limb bone scaling. J Theor Biol 107:321–327.,
- 311998 Strain amplification in the bone mechanosensory system. Am J Med Sci 316:184–188.,
- 321997 Bone microdamage and skeletal fragility in osteoporotic and stress fractures. J Bone Miner Res 12:6–15., , , , ,
- 331984 Regulation of bone formation by applied dynamic loads. J Bone J Surg Am 66:397–402.,
- 342003 Transmissibility of 15-hertz to 35-hertz vibrations to the human hip and lumbar spine: Determining the physiologic feasibility of delivering low-level anabolic mechanical stimulus to skeletal regions at greatest risk of fracture because of osteoporosis. Spine 28:2621–2627., , , , ,
- 352002 Genetic predisposition to low bone mass is paralleled by an enhanced sensitivity to signals anabolic to the skeleton. FASEB J 16:1280–1282., ,
- 362001 Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344:1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 371998 Nonlinear dependence of loading intensity and cycle number in the maintenance of bone mass and morphology. J Orthop Res 16:482–489., ,
- 381992 The effect of low-frequency electrical fields on osteogenesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 74:920–929.,
- 392003 Fluid pressure gradients, arising from oscillations in intramedullary pressure are correlated with the formation of bone and inhibition of intracortical porosity. J Biomech 36:1427–1437., , ,
- 402001 A model for strain amplification in the actin cytoskeleton of osteocytes due to fluid drag on pericellular matrix. J Biomech 34:1375–1386., , ,
- 412002 The pathway of bone fluid flow as defined by in vivo intramedullary pressure and streaming potential measurements. Ann Biomed Eng 30:693–702., ,
- 422002 Noise-enhanced balance control in older adults. Neuroreport 13:1853–1856., , , , , ,
- 431995 Mechanically induced periosteal bone formation is paralleled by the upregulation of collagen type one mRNA in osteocytes as measured by in situ reverse transcript-polymerase chain reaction. Calcif Tissue Int 57:456–462., ,
- 441985 Regulation of bone mass by mechanical strain magnitude. Calcif Tiss Int 37:411–417.,
- 451996 In vivo measurement of human tibial strains during vigorous activity. Bone 18:405–410., , , , , , , ,
- 461994 Promotion of bony ingrowth by frequency-specific, low-amplitude mechanical strain. Clin Orthop 298:165–174.,
- 472003 Adaptations of trabecular bone to low magnitude vibrations result in more uniform stress and strain under load. Ann Biomed Eng 31:12–20., , , , , ,
- 481995 Stochastic resonance without tuning. Nature 376:236–238., ,
- 491998 Stochastic modulation of cell shape by low-level mechanical loading. Am J Med Sci 316:176–183., ,
- 502001 Vibrotactile adaptation impairs discrimination of fine, but not coarse, textures. Somatosens Mot Res 18:253–262., ,
- 511998 Skeletal cell stresses and bone adaptation. Am J Med Sci 316:176–183., , ,
- 522002 Longitudinal pattern of basilar membrane vibration in the sensitive cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:17101–17106.
- 531998 Exercise before puberty may confer residual benefits in bone density in adulthood: Studies in active prepubertal and retired female gymnasts. J Bone Miner Res 13:500–507., , , , , ,
- 542000 High-impact exercise and bones of growing girls: A 9-month controlled trial. Osteoporos Int 11:1010–1017., , , , ,
- 552003 Bisphosphonate-induced osteopetrosis. N Engl J Med 349:457–463., , , ,
- 562004 Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss by a low magnitude, high frequency stimuli: A clinical trial assessing compliance, efficacy and safety. J Bone Miner Res 19:343–351., , , , ,
- 571996 Bone remodeling abnormalities in osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press Inc., San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 703–713.
- 582002 Mechanical strain, induced noninvasively in the high-frequency domain, is anabolic to cancellous bone, but not cortical bone. Bone 30:445–452., , , , ,
- 591992 New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. J Bone Miner Res 7:137–145., ,
- 602001 Analysis of cancellous bone turnover by multiple slice analysis at distal radius: A study using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. J Clin Densitom 4:257–262., , , , , , ,
- 611999 Assessment of bone mass development during childhood and adolescence by quantitative imaging techniques. In: BonjourJ, TsangR (eds.) Nutrition and Bone Development, Vol. 41. Vevey/Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 147–164.
- 622002 Radiation Exposure of the UK Population From Medical and Dental X-Ray Examinations. National Radiological Protection Board, Oxon, UK.,