This work was presented in part as an abstract at the 25th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, September 18-23, 2003.
Isosorbide Mononitrate Increases Bone Formation and Decreases Bone Resorption in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Trial†
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 9, pages 1512–1517, September 2004
How to Cite
Jamal, S. A., Cummings, S. R. and Hawker, G. A. (2004), Isosorbide Mononitrate Increases Bone Formation and Decreases Bone Resorption in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Trial. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 1512–1517. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.040716
The authors have no conflict of interest
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 1 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2003
- 11995 Bidirectional regulation of osteoclast function by nitric oxide synthase isoforms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 2954–2958., , , , , , ,
- 21994 Potentiation of osteoclast bone-resorption activity by inhibition of nitric oxide synthase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 3569–3573., , , , , , , ,
- 31998 Role of nitric oxide and prostaglandins in mechanically induced bone formation. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1039–1044., , ,
- 41997 Cytokine-induced nitric oxide inhibits bone resorption by inducing apoptosis of osteoclast progenitors and suppressing osteoclast activity. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1797–1804.,
- 51996 Nitric oxide donor alleviates ovariectomy-induced bone loss. Bone 18: 301–304., , ,
- 61997 Prevention of corticosteroid-induced bone loss with nitric oxide donor nitroglycerin in male rats. Bone 21: 275–280., , , ,
- 71995 Circulating nitric oxide (nitrite/nitrate) levels in postmenopausal women substituted with 17B-estradiol and norethisterone acetate. Hypertension 25: 848–853., , , ,
- 81997 Differential effects of hormone replacement therapy on endogenous nitric oxide (nitrite/nitrate) levels in postmenopausal women substituted with 17 β-estradiol valerate and cyproterone acetate or medroxyprogesterone acetate. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 388–394., , , ,
- 91995 The effect of exogenous estrogen on nitric oxide production in women: A placebo controlled crossover study. Br J Obstet Gyneacol 102: 417–419., , ,
- 102001 Nitric oxide as a second messenger in parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling. J Endocrinol 170: 433–440., ,
- 111993 Biotransformation to nitric oxide of organic nitrates in comparison to other nitrovasodilators. Eur Heart J 14: 123–132.
- 121997 Nitrate tolerance, rebound, and their clinical relevance in stable angina pectoris, unstable angina, and heart failure. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 10: 734–742.
- 131998 Intermittent use of nitrates increases bone mineral density: The study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1755–1759., , ,
- 142000 Nitroglycerin therapy is as efficacious as standard estrogen replacement therapy (Premarin) in prevention of oophorectomy-induced bone loss: A human pilot clinical study. J Bone Miner Res 15: 2240–2244.
- 15Anonymous 2002 Osteomark NTx Urine Product Description. Ostex International, Seattle, WA, USA, pp. 1–3.
- 161992 A specific immunoassay for monitoring bone resorption: Quantitation of type 1 collagen cross-linked N-telopeptides in urine. J Bone Miner Res 7: 1251–1258., , , , ,
- 17Anonymous 2002 Metra BAP EIA kit. Quidel Corp., San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 1–6.
- 181995 Monoclonal antibody assay for measuring bone-specific alkaline phosphatase activity in serum. Clin Chem 41: 1560–1566., , , , , ,
- 192002 Changes in bone density and turnover explain the reductions in incidence of nonvertebral fractures that occur during treatment with antiresorptive agents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 1586–1592., , , , ,
- 202000 Clinical use of biochemical markers of bone remodeling: Current status and future directions. Osteoporos Int 11: 467–480., , , , , , , ,
- 212002 Markers of bone turnover and laboratory evaluation of secondary osteoporosis. In: CummingsSR, CosmanF, JamalSA (eds.) Osteoporosis: An Evidenced-Based Guide to Prevention and Management. American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 59–82.,
- 222002 Strontium ranelate: Dose-dependent effects in established postmenopausal vertebral osteoporosis—a 2-year randomized placebo controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 2060–2066., , , , , , , , , ,
- 231994 Comparison of new biochemical markers of bone turnover in late postmenopausal osteoporotic women in response to alendronate treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79: 1693–1700., , , ,
- 242000 Markers of bone turnover for the prediction of fracture risk. Osteoporos Int 11 (Suppl 6): S55–S65.
- 251998 Choosing the most appropriate treatment for stable angina. Safety considerations. Drug Saf 19: 23–44., ,