The author has no conflict of interest.
Intermittent Ibandronate Preserves Bone Quality and Bone Strength in the Lumbar Spine After 16 Months of Treatment in the Ovariectomized Cynomolgus Monkey†
Article first published online: 16 AUG 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 11, pages 1787–1796, November 2004
How to Cite
Müller, R., Hannan, M., Smith, S. Y. and Bauss, F. (2004), Intermittent Ibandronate Preserves Bone Quality and Bone Strength in the Lumbar Spine After 16 Months of Treatment in the Ovariectomized Cynomolgus Monkey. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 1787–1796. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.040809
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 16 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 19 NOV 2003
- 11993 The effects of 2-year treatment with the aminobisphosphonate alendronate on bone metabolism, bone histomorphometry, and bone strength in ovariectomized nonhuman primates. J Clin Invest 92: 2577–2586., , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 21998 Zoledronate prevents the development of absolute osteopenia following ovariectomy in adult rhesus monkeys. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1775–1782., , , , , , ,
- 31991 BM 21.0955, a potent new bisphosphonate to inhibit bone resorption. J Bone Miner Res 6: 1003–1011., , , , , ,
- 41998 Lifelong administration of high doses of ibandronate increases bone mass and maintains bone quality of lumbar vertebrae in rats. Osteoporos Int 8: 97–103., , , ,
- 52002 Total administered dose of ibandronate determines its effects on bone mass and architecture in ovariectomized aged rats. J Rheumatol 29: 990–998., ,
- 62002 Effects of treatment with ibandronate on bone mass, architecture, biomechanical properties, and bone concentration of ibandronate in ovariectomized aged rats. J Rheumatol 29: 2200–2208., , ,
- 71993 A new bisphosphonate, BM 21.0955, prevents bone loss associated with cessation of ovarian function in experimental dogs. J Bone Miner Res 8: 1345–1355., , ,
- 81999 Intermittent and continuous administration of the bisphosphonate ibandronate in ovariohysterectomized beagle dogs: Effects on bone morphometry and mineral properties. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1768–1778., , , , , , ,
- 92003 Intermittent intravenous administration of the bisphosphonate ibandronate prevents bone loss and maintains bone strength and quality in ovariectomized cynomolgus monkeys. Bone 32: 45–55., , , ,
- 102004 Ibandronate in osteoporosis: Preclinical data and rationale for intermittent dosing. Osteoporos Int 15: 423–433.,
- 111994 Alendronate increases skeletal mass of growing rats during unloading by inhibiting resorption of calcified cartilage. J Bone Miner Res 9: 1777–1787., , , , ,
- 121993 Continuous alendronate treatment throughout growth, maturation, and aging in the rat results in increases in bone mass and mechanical properties. Calcif Tissue Int 53: 283–288., , , ,
- 131998 Effects of continuous alendronate treatment on bone mass and mechanical properties in ovariectomized rats: Comparison with pamidronate and etidronate in growing rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 286: 128–135., , , , ,
- 142003 Ibandronate: A potent new bisphosphonate in the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Int J Clin Pract 57: 417–422.
- 152003 Ibandronate: New options in the treatment of osteoporosis. Drugs Today (Barc) 39: 877–886.,
- 162003 Effect of daily and intermittent use of ibandronate on bone mass and bone turnover in postmenopausal osteoporosis: A review of three phase II studies. Clin Ther 25: 19–34.,
- 172004 Effects of oral ibandronate administered daily or intermittently on fracture risk in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 19: 1241–1249., , , , , , , , , ,
- 182004 Daily and intermittent oral ibandronate normalize bone turnover and provide significant reduction in vertebral fracture risk: Results from the BONE study. Osteoporos Int 15: 792–798., , , , , , , ,
- 191997 Three monthly intravenous injections of ibandronate in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Am J Med 103: 298–307., , , , , ,
- 202003 Intravenous ibandronate injections given every three months: A new treatment option to prevent bone loss in postmenopausal women. Ann Rheum Dis 62: 969–975., , , , , , , ,
- 212004 Efficacy and safety of ibandronate given by intravenous injection once every 3 months. Bone 34: 881–889., , , , , , , ,
- 221997 Bisphosphonates: Preclinical aspects and use in osteoporosis. Ann Med 29: 55–62.
- 231995 Animal models of cortical porosity. Bone 17 (Suppl 4): 297S–305S.
- 241999 Importance of preclinical studies in the development of drugs for treatment of osteoporosis: A review related to the 1998 WHO guidelines. Osteoporos Int 9: 379–393., ,
- 251998 Guidelines for Preclinical Evaluation and Clinical Trials in Osteoporosis. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 26Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products 2001 Note for Guidance on “Postmenopausal Osteoporosis in Women” CPMP/EWP/552/95. The European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products: Human Medicines Evaluation Unit, London, UK.
- 27Food and Drug Administration 1994 Guidelines for Preclinical and Clinical Evaluation of Agents Used in the Prevention of Treatment of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis. FDA Division of Metabolism and Endocrine Products, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD USA.
- 281993 The long-term effect of ovariectomy on the quality and quantity of cortical bone in the young cynomolgus monkey: A comparison of density fractionation and histomorphometric techniques. Bone 14: 389–395.,
- 291996 A microtomographic system for the nondestructive evaluation of bone architecture. Calcif Tissue Int 58: 24–29., ,
- 301997 Micro-tomographic imaging for the nondestructive evaluation of trabecular bone architecture. Stud Health Tech Inform 40: 61–79.,
- 311994 Non-invasive bone biopsy: A new method to analyse and display the three-dimensional structure of trabecular bone. Phys Med Biol 39: 145–164., ,
- 321999 Direct three-dimensional morphometric analysis of human cancellous bone: Microstructural data from spine, femur, iliac crest, and calcaneus. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1167–1174., , , ,
- 331984 Characterization of microstructural anisotropy in orthotropic materials using a second rank tensor. J Mater Sci 19: 761–767.,
- 341994 The relationship between the structural and orthogonal compressive properties of trabecular bone. J Biomech 27: 375–389., , , , ,
- 351992 Trabecular bone pattern factor—a new parameter for simple quantification of bone microarchitecture. Bone 13: 327–330., , ,
- 361997 Quantification of bone microarchitecture with the structure model index. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 1: 15–23.,
- 372002 Risedronate preserves trabecular architecture and increases bone strength in vertebra of ovariectomized minipigs as measured by three-dimensional microcomputed tomography. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1139–1147., , , , ,
- 38Consensus Development Conference 2000 Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. NIH Consens State Sci Statements 17: 1–45.
- 391992 The prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 327: 620–627.,