The authors have no conflict of interest.
Mineral Acquisition Rates in Developing Enamel on Maxillary and Mandibular Incisors of Rats and Mice: Implications to Extracellular Acid Loading as Apatite Crystals Mature†
Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 240–249, February 2005
How to Cite
Smith, C. E., Chong, D. L., Bartlett, J. D. and Margolis, H. C. (2005), Mineral Acquisition Rates in Developing Enamel on Maxillary and Mandibular Incisors of Rats and Mice: Implications to Extracellular Acid Loading as Apatite Crystals Mature. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 240–249. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041002
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 1 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2003
- 12003 Ten Cate's Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function, 6th ed., Mosby, St Louis, MO, USA.
- 21999 The structural biology of the developing dental enamel matrix. J Struct Biol 126: 270–299., ,
- 32001 Amelogenins: Assembly, processing and control of crystal morphology. Matrix Biol 20: 293–305.
- 41998 Cellular and chemical events during enamel maturation. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 9: 128–161.
- 51996 Crystal growth in dental enamel: The role of amelogenins and albumin. Adv Dent Res 10: 173–180., , , ,
- 61999 Proteinases in developing dental enamel. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 10: 425–441.,
- 72002 Enamelysin and kallikrein-4 mRNA expression in developing mouse molars. Eur J Oral Sci 110: 307–315., , , , ,
- 81975 Variations in the composition of developing rat incisor enamel. Calcif Tissue Res 18: 1–12., ,
- 91975 Cellular renewal in the enamel organ and the odontoblast layer of the rat incisor as followed by radioautography using 3H-thymidine. Anat Rec 183: 523–562.,
- 101994 Structure and Chemistry of the Apatites and Other Calcium Orthophosphates. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 111995 Molecular mechanisms of dental enamel formation. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 6: 84–108.,
- 121992 Changes in the solubility of enamel mineral at various stages of porcine amelogenesis. Calcif Tissue Int 50: 266–272.,
- 131991 Changes in acid-phosphate content in enamel mineral during porcine amelogenesis. J Dent Res 70: 1516–1523., ,
- 141992 Procedure for the study of acidic calcium phosphate precursor phases in enamel mineral formation. Calcif Tissue Int 50: 144–148., , ,
- 152001 Formation of octacalcium phosphate in vitro. In: EanesED, ChowLC (eds.) Octacalclium Phosphate. Karger, Basel, Switzerland, pp. 17–49.
- 162001 Role of OCP in biological processes. In: EanesED, ChowLC (eds.) Octacalcium Phosphate. Karger, Basel, Switzerland, pp. 50–75.,
- 171994 Modulation of crystal formation by bone phosphoproteins: Structural specificity of the osteopontin-mediated inhibition of hydroxyapatite formation. Biochem J 300: 723–728., ,
- 181987 The enamel fluid in the early secretory stage of porcine amelogenesis: Chemical composition and saturation with respect to enamel mineral. Calcif Tissue Int 41: 86–94.,
- 191995 Enamel mineralization and the role of ameloblasts in calcium transport. Connect Tissue Res 33: 127–137.
- 202000 Calcium transport across the dental enamel epithelium. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 11: 437–466.
- 211996 Morphological characteristics of mouse incisor enamel. J Anat 189: 325–333., ,
- 222001 Amelogenin-deficient mice display an amelogenesis imperfecta phenotype. J Biol Chem 276: 31871–31875., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 232002 Enamelysin (matrix metalloproteinase 20)-deficient mice display an amelogenesis imperfecta phenotype. J Biol Chem 277: 49598–49604., , , , , ,
- 241993 Crystal chemistry of secretory stage in developing enamel. Jpn J Oral Biol 35: 338–348., , ,
- 252003 Bone mineral change during experimental heating: An X-ray scattering investigation. Biomaterials 24: 5091–5097., , , ,
- 261989 A method for sampling the stages of amelogenesis on mandibular rat incisors using the molars as a reference for dissection. Anat Rec 225: 257–266.,
- 271988 Composition of human plaque fluid. J Dent Res 67: 1181–1189.,
- 281998 Biochemical characterization of recombinant mouse amelogenins: Protein quantitation, proton absorption, and relative affinity for enamel crystals. Connect Tissue Res 39: 207–214., ,
- 291996 Full-length sequence, localization, and chromosomal mapping of ameloblastin - A novel tooth-specific gene. J Biol Chem 271: 4431–4435., , , , ,
- 301998 Murine enamelin: CDNA and derived protein sequences. Connect Tissue Res 39: 351–365., , , , , , , , ,
- 312000 Mass spectrometry of native rat amelogenins: Primary transcripts, secretory isoforms, and C-terminal degradation. J Dent Res 79: 840–849., , ,
- 321996 Comparative mass spectrometric analyses of enamel matrix proteins from five species suggest a common pathway of post-secretory proteolytic processing. Connect Tissue Res 34–5: 205–210.,
- 331987 Cyclic induction and rapid movement of sequential waves of new smooth-ended ameloblast modulation bands in rat incisors as visualized by polychrome fluorescent labeling and GBHA-staining of maturing enamel. Adv Dent Res 1: 162–175., ,
- 342000 X-ray microtomographic study of mineral distribution in enamel of mandibular rat incisors. J Anat 196: 405–413., , ,
- 351974 Mineral content of developing rat incisor enamel. Scand J Dent Res 82: 40–46.,
- 361984 A radioautographic study of the incorporation of iron 55 by the ameloblasts in the zone of maturation of rat incisors. Am J Anat 169: 327–335.,
- 372003 CO2/H+ sensing: Peripheral and central chemoreception. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 35: 1413–1435.,
- 382002 Bicarbonate transport proteins. Biochem Cell Biol 80: 483–497.,
- 392004 The ABCs of solute carriers: Physiological, pathological and therapeutic implications of human membrane transport proteins. Pflugers Arch 447: 465–468., , , , ,
- 402000 Introduction to the carbonic anhydrases. In: ChegwiddenWR, CarterND, EdwardsYH (eds.) The Carbonic Anhydrases. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, Switzerland, pp. 13–28.,
- 411999 Carbonic anhydrase in human pancreas: Hypotheses for the pathophysiological roles of CA isozymes. Ann NY Acad Sci 880: 5–16., , ,
- 421988 Histochemical demonstration of carbonic anhydrase activity in the odontogenic cells of the rat incisor. J Dent Res 67: 1271–1274., , , , ,
- 431994 Localization of H+-ATPase and carbonic anhydrase II in ameloblasts at maturation. Calcif Tissue Int 55: 38–45., , ,
- 441996 Immunohistochemical localization of carbonic anhydrase isozyme II in rat incisor epithelial cells at various stages of amelogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 285: 217–225., , ,
- 452003 Altered pH regulation during enamel development in the cystic fibrosis mouse incisor. J Dent Res 82: 388–392., ,
- 461984 Lanthanum tracer study on permeability of ameloblast junctional complexes in maturation zone of rat incisor enamel organ. In: FearnheadRW, SugaS (eds.) Tooth Enamel IV. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 251–255.
- 471997 Pathway and speed of calcium movement from blood to mineralizing enamel. J Histochem Cytochem 45: 213–230.,
- 481996 Developmental changes in the pH of enamel fluid and its effects on matrix-resident proteinases. Adv Dent Res 10: 159–169., , ,
- 491991 Cyclical changes in pH in bovine developing enamel as sequential bands. Arch Oral Biol 36: 227–231., ,
- 501977 Quantitative analysis of cell turnover in the enamel organ of the rat incisor, evidence for ameloblast death immediately after enamel matrix secretion. Anat Rec 187: 63–98.,
- 511998 Cytochrome oxidase activity in the enamel organ during amelogenesis in rat incisors. Anat Rec 252: 519–531., ,
- 521965 Autoradiographic analysis of labeling indices and migration rates of cellular component of mouse incisors using tritiated thymidine (H3TDR). J Dent Res 44: 42–53.,