The authors have no conflict of interest.
Males Have Larger Skeletal Size and Bone Mass Than Females, Despite Comparable Body Size†
Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 529–535, March 2005
How to Cite
Nieves, J. W., Formica, C., Ruffing, J., Zion, M., Garrett, P., Lindsay, R. and Cosman, F. (2005), Males Have Larger Skeletal Size and Bone Mass Than Females, Despite Comparable Body Size. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 529–535. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041005
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 26 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2004
- 12002 Prevention of lower extremity stress fractures in athletes and soldiers: A systematic review. Epidemiol Rev 24: 228–247., , , ,
- 21996 Secular trends in hip fracture occurrence and survival: Age and sex differences. J Aging Health 8: 538–553.
- 31996 The prevalence of vertebral deformity in European men and women: The European Vertebral Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1010–1018., , , , ,
- 41996 The epidemiology of osteoporosis. Br J Clin Pract 50: 33–36.,
- 51990 Incidence of fractures in a geographically defined population. J Epidemol Commun Health 44: 241–245., ,
- 61979 Limb fractures in a defined population. I. Frequency and distribution. Mayo Clin Proc 54: 701–707., , ,
- 71995 Epidemiology of fractures. In: RiggsBL, MeltonLJ (eds.) Osteoporosis Etiology, Diagnosis and Management, 2nd ed. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 225–248.
- 81999 Osteoporosis in Men. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA.
- 91997 Bone density variation and its effects of risk of vertebral deformity in men and women studied in thirteen European centers. The EVOS Study. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1883–1894., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 101998 Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of U.S. adults. Osteoporos Int 8: 468–489., , , , , , ,
- 111994 Gender differences in bone density, skeletal geometry, and fracture biomechanics. Radiology 190: 636–640., ,
- 122003 The structural and biochemical basis of the gain and loss of bone strength in women and men. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 32: 25–38.
- 132001 Sexual dimorphism in skeletal size, density and strength. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86: 4576–4584.
- 142000 Structural and cellular changes during bone growth in healthy children. Bone 27: 487–494., , ,
- 152003 Periosteal bone formation a neglected determinant of bone strength. N Engl J Med 349: 327–334.
- 161996 The role of sex steroids in bone growth and development: Evolving new concepts. Endocrinologist 6: 362–368.,
- 171997 Differential effect of gender on the sizes of the bones in the axial and appendicular skeletons. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 1603–1607., , , , ,
- 181970 The Earlier Gain and Later Loss of Cortical Bone. Nutritional Perspectives. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, IL, USA.
- 191998 Determinants of femoral geometry and structure during adolescent growth. J Orthop Res 14: 22–29., , , ,
- 202002 Gender specific pubertal changes in volumetric cortical bone mineral density at the proximal radius. Bone 31: 110–113., , ,
- 212001 The developing bone: Slave or master of its cells and molecules? Pediatr Res 50: 309–314.,
- 222003 Bone mass, bone strength, muscle-bone interactions, osteopenias and osteoporosis. Mech Ageing Dev 124: 269–279., , ,
- 232002 An exercise in geometry. J Bone Miner Res 17: 373.
- 241999 Age and gender related differences in vertebral bone mass, density and strength. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1394., , , ,
- 252000 Determinants of bone mass and bone geometry in adolescent and young adult women. Calcif Tiss Int 66: 81–89., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 262003 Gender differences in volumetric bone density: A study of opposite-sex twins. Osteoporos Int 14: 565–569.,
- 271998 Differential effect of race on the axial and appendicular skeletons of children. J Clin Endocrinal Metab 83: 5., , , , , ,
- 281994 Gender differences in vertebral sizes in adults: Biomechanical implications. Radiology 190: 673–677., , , , ,
- 291997 Biomechanics of osteoporosis and vertebral fracture. Spine 22: 25S–31S.,
- 301990 Sex differences in age-related changes in vertebral body size, density and biomechanical competence in normal individuals. Bone 11: 67–73.,
- 311995 Vertebral size in elderly women with osteoporosis. Mechanical implications and relationship to fractures. J Clin Invest 95: 2332–2337., , , , ,
- 322001 Does body size account for gender differences in femur bone density and geometry. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1291–1299., ,
- 331995 Comparison of areal and estimated volumetric bone mineral density values between older men and women. Osteoporos Int 5: 271–275., , , , , , ,
- 341992 Bone mineral density measured by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry in normal men. Eur J Clin Invest 22: 454–460.,
- 351990 Sex differences in peak adult bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1169–1175., , ,
- 361998 Measured and predicted bone mineral content in healthy boys and girls aged 6–18 years: Adjustment for body size and puberty. Acta Paediatr 87: 244–249., , , , ,
- 371996 Do genetic factors contribute to associations between muscle strength, fat-free mass and bone density. A twin study. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 33: 320–327., , , , ,
- 381994 Geometric structure of the femoral neck measured using dual-energy X-ray absorptionmetry. J Bone Miner Res 9: 1053–1064., , , , , , ,
- 392003 Aging bone in men and women: Beyond changes in bone mineral density. Osteoporos Int 14: 531–538., , , , , , , ,
- 402001 Sexual dimorphism in vertebral fragility is more the result of gender differences in age related bone gain than bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 16: 2267–2275., , ,
- 412003 Bone remodeling at the endocortical surface of the human femoral neck: A mechanism for regional cortical thinning in cases of hip fracture. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1775–1780., , , , ,
- 422003 Effects of gender, anthropometric variables, and aging on the evolution of hip strength in men and women aged over 65. Bone 32: 561–570., , , , ,
- 432001 Intracapsular hip fracture and the region-specific loss of cortical bone: Analysis by peripheral quantitative computed tomography. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1318–1328., , , , , , ,
- 441993 Cortical aging differences and fracture implications for the human femoral neck. Bone 14: 769–778.,
- 452000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of NHANES III DXA data. J Bone Miner Res 15: 2297–2304., , , ,
- 461996 Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry derived structural geometry for stress fracture prediction in male U.S. Marine Corps recruits. J Bone Miner Res 11: 645–653., , , , , , ,
- 471994 Relative contribution of vertebral body and posterior arch in female and male lumbar spine peak bone mass. Osteoporos Int 4: 264–272., , , ,
- 481995 Equivalent deficits in bone mass of the vertebral body and posterior processes in women with vertebral fractures: Implications regarding the pathogenesis of spinal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 10: 2005–2010., ,
- 491992 Bone mass and body composition in normal women. J Bone Miner Res 7: 55–63., , ,
- 502001 Changes in body composition as determinants of longitudinal changes in bone mineral measures in 8 to 26 year old female twins. Osteoporos Int 12: 506–515., , , , ,
- 512002 Association of lean tissue and fat mass with bone mineral content in children and adolescents. Obes Res 10: 56–60., , , , ,
- 522002 Difference in the effects of body composition on bone mineral density between pre- and postmenopausal women. Maturitas 43: 239–244., , , , ,
- 532002 Relationships among body mass, its components, and bone. Bone 31: 547–555.
- 541996 Relationship between body composition and bone mass in women. J Bone Miner Res 11: 857–863., , ,
- 552003 Strength indices of the proximal femur and shaft in prepubertal female gymnasts. Med Sci Sports Exerc 35: 513–518., , , , ,
- 561998 Moderate exercise during growth in perpubertal boys: changes in bone mass, size, volumetric density and bone strength: A controlled perspective study. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1814–1821., , , , , , ,
- 572001 Predictors of bone mass by peripheral quantitative computed tomography in early adolescent girls. J Clin Densitom 4: 313–323., , , , ,
- 581994 Structural response of growing bone to exercise and disuse. J Appl Physiol 76: 946–955.,
- 591989 Effect of denervation on limb growth. J Orthop Res 7: 292–303.
- 601990 Paralysis and growth of the musculoskeletal system in the embryonic chick. J Morphol 206: 45–56.,
- 611988 Changes in the long bones due to fetal immobility caused by neuromuscular disease. A radiographic and histological study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 70: 1052–1060., , ,
- 621995 Hind limb suspension diminishes femoral cross-sectional growth in the rat. J Orthop Res 13: 700–707., ,
- 631993 Neuromuscular atrophy alters collagen gene expression, pattern formation, and mechanical integrity of the chick embryo long bone. Prog Clin Biol Res 383B: 587–597., , ,
- 642003 Randomized trial of physical activity and calcium supplementation on bone mineral content in 3- to 5-year-old children. J Bone Miner Res 18: 885–892.,
- 652002 Associations of calcium intake and physical activity with bone density and size in premenopausal and postmenopausal women: A peripheral quantitative computed tomography study. J Bone Miner Res 17: 544–552., , , ,
- 662001 High-impact exercise and tibial polar moment of inertia in pre-and early pubertal girls: A quantitative MRI study. J Bone Miner Res 16: S482., , , , ,
- 671999 The differing tempo of growth in bone size, mass, and density in girls is region-specific. J Clin Invest 104: 795–804., , , , ,
- 682003 Effects of physical training on cortical bone at midtibia assessed by peripheral QCT. J Appl Physiol 95: 219–224., , , , , , , , ,
- 692001 Exercise and milk intake are determinants of bone mass in elite military cadets. In: BurckhardtP, Dawson-HughesB, HeaneyRP (eds.) Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 125–129., , , ,
- 702002 A randomized school-based jumping intervention confers site and maturity-specific benefits on bone structural properties in girls: A hip structural analysis study. J Bone Miner Res 17: 363–372., , , , ,
- 712001 Effects of lifetime volleyball exercise on bone mineral densities in lumbar spine, calcaneus and tibia for pre-, peri- and postmenopausal Women. Osteoporos Int 12: 104–111., , , , , ,