The authors have no conflict of interest.
Immortalization of Cementoblast Progenitor Cells With Bmi-1 and TERT†
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 50–57, January 2005
How to Cite
Saito, M., Handa, K., Kiyono, T., Hattori, S., Yokoi, T., Tsubakimoto, T., Harada, H., Noguchi, T., Toyoda, M., Sato, S. and Teranaka, T. (2005), Immortalization of Cementoblast Progenitor Cells With Bmi-1 and TERT. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 50–57. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041006
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 3 FEB 2004
- 11994 Oral Histology, Development, Structure, and Function, 4th ed. Mosby, St Louis, MO, USA.
- 22000 Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679., , , , , , , ,
- 31996 Cementogenesis reviewed: A comparison between human premolars and rodent molars. Anat Rec 245: 267–292.,
- 42001 Neural crest and tooth morphogenesis. Adv Dent Res 15: 4–7.
- 51996 Enamel biology logodaedaly: Getting to the root of the problem, or who's on first. J Bone Miner Res 11: 899–904.
- 61996 Origins of cementum. Oral Dis 2: 63–69., ,
- 72001 The effect of enamel matrix protein derivative on follicle cells in vitro. J Periodontol 72: 679–687., ,
- 81999 Response of dental follicular cells to the exposure of denuded enamel matrix in rat molars. Eur J Oral Sci 107: 360–367.,
- 92002 Bone morphogenetic protein 2 induces dental follicle cells to differentiate toward a cementoblast/osteoblast phenotype. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1441–1451., , , , ,
- 102002 Cementum matrix formation in vivo by cultured dental follicle cells. Bone 31: 606–611., , , , , ,
- 112001 Expression of cementum-derived attachment protein in bovine tooth germ during cementogenesis. Bone 29: 242–248., , , , , , , , , ,
- 122001 Cellular senescence as a tumor-suppressor mechanism. Trends Cell Biol 11: S27–S31.
- 132000 Cellular senescence: Mitotic clock or culture shock. Cell 102: 407–410.,
- 142001 Putative telomere-independent mechanisms of replicative aging reflect inadequate growth conditions. Genes Dev 15: 398–403., , , , , ,
- 151998 Both Rb/p16INK4a inactivation and telomerase activity are required to immortalize human epithelial cells. Nature 396: 84–88., , , , ,
- 161999 The oncogene and Polycomb-group gene bmi-1 regulates cell proliferation and senescence through the ink4a locus. Nature 397: 164–168., , , ,
- 172003 Bmi-1 determines the proliferative capacity of normal and leukaemic stem cells. Nature 423: 255–260.,
- 182002 Clonal heterogeneity in differentiation potential of immortalized human mesenchymal stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295: 354–361., , , , , , , ,
- 191995 A biomarker that identifies senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 9363–9367., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 202003 Control of the replicative life span of human fibroblasts by p16 and the polycomb protein Bmi-1. Mol Cell Biol 23: 389–401., , , , , , , , ,
- 211997 RB kinases and RB-binding proteins: New points of view. Trends Biochem Sci 22: 14–17.
- 221994 Immunolocalization of osteopontin, osteocalcin, and dentin sialoprotein during dental root formation and early cementogenesis in the rat. J Bone Miner Res 9: 833–841., , ,
- 231998 Developmental appearance and distribution of bone sialoprotein and osteopontin in human and rat cementum. Anat Rec 250: 13–33., , ,
- 241999 Immortalized cementoblasts and periodontal ligament cells in culture. Bone 25: 39–47., , , , , , , ,
- 251998 Extension of life-span by introduction of telomerase into normal human cells. Science 279: 349–352., , , , , , , , ,
- 261992 The two-stage mechanism controlling cellular senescence and immortalization. Exp Gerontol 27: 383–389.,
- 271996 Human papillomavirus type 16 E7 alleviates a proliferation block in early passage human mammary epithelial cells. Oncogene 12: 1773–1779.,
- 281998 Inactivation of p16 in human mammary epithelial cells by CpG island methylation. Mol Cell Biol 18: 1793–1801., , ,
- 291995 Evidence for a critical telomere length in senescent human fibroblasts. Exp Cell Res 219: 130–136.,
- 301996 Telomerase activation by the E6 gene product of human papillomavirus type 16. Nature 380: 79–82., ,
- 312002 The Bmi-1 oncogene induces telomerase activity and immortalizes human mammary epithelial cells. Cancer Res 62: 4736–4745., , , , , , , ,
- 321991 Identification of cooperating oncogenes in E mu-myc transgenic mice by provirus tagging. Cell 65: 737–752., , , , ,
- 331998 Polycombing the genome: PcG, trxG, and chromatin silencing. Cell 93: 333–336.
- 342003 Bmi-1 is required for maintenance of adult self-renewing haematopoietic stem cells. Nature 423: 302–305., , , , , , ,
- 351989 HPV16 E6 and E7 proteins cooperate to immortalize human foreskin keratinocytes. EMBO J 8: 3905–3910., , , ,
- 361994 Targeted expression of the E6 and E7 oncogenes of human papillomavirus type 16 in the epidermis of transgenic mice elicits generalized epidermal hyperplasia involving autocrine factors. Mol Cell Biol 14: 8250–8258., ,
- 372002 Isolation, immortalization, and characterization of a human breast epithelial cell line with stem cell properties. Genes Dev 16: 693–706., , , , ,
- 382000 Cementum-forming cells are phenotypically distinct from bone-forming cells. J Bone Miner Res 15: 52–59., , , , , , ,
- 391996 Amelin: An enamel-related protein, transcribed in the cells of epithelial root sheath. J Bone Miner Res 11: 892–898., ,
- 401992 Immunohistological localization of cell adhesion proteins and integrins in the periodontium. J Periodontol 63: 584–592., , , , , , , ,
- 412002 Cementum and periodontal wound healing and regeneration. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13: 474–484.,
- 422002 Integrins in development: Moving on, responding to, and sticking to the extracellular matrix. Dev Cell 3: 311–321.,