The authors have no conflict of interest.
Drugs Used to Treat Osteoporosis: The Critical Need for a Uniform Nomenclature Based on Their Action on Bone Remodeling†
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 177–184, February 2005
How to Cite
Riggs, B. L. and Parfitt, A. M. (2005), Drugs Used to Treat Osteoporosis: The Critical Need for a Uniform Nomenclature Based on Their Action on Bone Remodeling. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 177–184. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041114
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 13 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 1 JUL 2004
- 11990 Effect of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 322: 802–809., , , , , , ,
- 21996 Bisphosphonates: Mechanisms of action. J Clin Invest 97: 2692–2696.,
- 32002 Targeted and nontargeted bone remodeling: Relationship to basic multicellular unit origination and progression. Bone 30: 5–7.
- 42002 The physiologic and pathogenetic significance of bone histomorphometric data. In: CoeFL, FavusMJ (eds.) Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 2nd ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 469–485.
- 52001 Biomechanics of age-related fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis, 2nd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 509–531.
- 61987 Biomechanical competence of vertebral trabecular bone in relation to ash density and age in normal individuals. Bone 8: 79–85.,
- 72000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of the third national health and nutrition examination survey dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry data. J Bone Miner Res 15: 2297–2304., , , ,
- 81967 Variations in strength of vertebrae with age and their relation to osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Res 1: 75–86., ,
- 91983 Relationships between surface, volume, and thickness of iliac trabecular bone in aging and in osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 72: 1396–1409., , , , ,
- 101999 Hormone replacement therapy prevents osteoclastic hyperactivity: A histomorphometric study in early postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1217–1221., , , ,
- 111997 Effects of raloxifene on bone mineral density, serum cholesterol concentrations, and uterine endometrium in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 337: 1641–1647., , , , , , ,
- 122000 A randomized trial of nasal spray salmon calcitonin in postmenopausal women with established osteoporosis: The prevent recurrence of osteoporotic fractures study. Am J Med 109: 267–276., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 132002 Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 23: 495–578.,
- 142000 Monitoring individual response to hormone replacement therapy with bone markers. Bone 26: 553–560., , ,
- 151995 Alendronate treatment of the postmenopausal osteoporotic woman: Effect of multiple dosages on bone mass and bone remodeling. Am J Med 99: 144–152., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 162003 Relationship of early changes in bone resorption to the reduction in fracture risk with risedronate. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1051–1056., , , , ,
- 172002 Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: Principal results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288: 321–333., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 181997 Histomorphometric assessment of the long-term effects of alendronate on bone quality and remodeling in patients with osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 100: 1475–1480., , , , ,
- 191999 Bone remodeling and structure in postmenopausal women treated with long-term, high-dose estrogen therapy. Osteoporos Int 10: 52–58., , , , ,
- 201992 Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with transdermal estrogen. Ann Intern Med 117: 1–9., , , , , , , ,
- 211996 A new model for the regulation of bone resorption, with particular reference to the effects of bisphosphonates. J Bone Miner Res 11: 150–159., , , ,
- 222002 Promotion of osteoclast survival and antagonism of bisphosphonate-induced osteoclast apoptosis by glucocorticoids. J Clin Invest 109: 1041–1048., , , , , , , ,
- 232000 Birth and death of bone cells: Basic regulatory mechanisms and implications for the pathogenesis and treatment of osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 21: 115–137.
- 241996 Estrogen promotes apoptosis of murine osteoclasts mediated by TGF-beta. Nat Med 2: 1132–1136., , , , ,
- 251999 Prevention of osteocyte and osteoblast apoptosis by bisphosphonates and calcitonin. J Clin Invest 104: 1363–1374., , , , ,
- 262000 Relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in regulating bone resorption and formation in normal elderly men. J Clin Invest 106: 1553–1560., , , , ,
- 272001 Effects of transdermal testosterone on bone and muscle in older men with low bioavailable testosterone levels. J Gerontol 56A: M266–M272., , , ,
- 282002 Tibolone for postmenopausal women: Systematic review of randomized trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 16–23.,
- 292004 The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fractue in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 350: 459–468., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 301980 Morphologic basis of bone mineral measurements: Transient and steady state effects of treatment in osteoporosis. Miner Electrolyte Metab 4: 273–287.
- 311993 Pathophysiology of bone fragility. In: ChristiansenC, RiisB (eds.) Osteoporosis. Handelstrukkeriet Aalborg ApS, Aalborg, Denmark, pp. 164–166.
- 321993 Toward optimal therapy of established osteoporosis: Evidence that antiresorptive and formation-stimulating regimens reduce vertebral fractures by independent mechanisms Fourth International Symposium on Osteoporosis and Consensus Development Conference, Hong Kong, March 27-April 2, 1993, pp. 13–15.
- 331996 Drug therapy for vertebral fractures in osteoporosis: Evidence that decreases in bone turnover and increases in bone mass both determine antifracture efficacy. Bone 18(Suppl): 197S–201S., ,
- 342001 Bone turnover matters: The raloxifene treatment paradox of dramatic decreases in vertebral fractures without commensurate increases in bone density. J Bone Miner Res 17: 11–14.,
- 352004 Relationship between changes in biochemical markers of bone turnover and BMD to predict vertebral fracture risk. J Bone Miner Res 19: 394–401., , , , ,
- 362000 Biochemical markers of bone turnover, endogenous hormones and the risk of fractures in postmenopausal women: The OFELY study. J Bone Miner Res 15: 1526–1536., , ,
- 372002 Relationships between bone mineral density and incident vertebral fracture risk with raloxifene therapy. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1–10., , , , ,
- 382002 Antifracture efficacy of risedronate: Prediction by change in bone resorption markers. IOF World Congress on Osteoporosis, Lisbon, Portugal, May 10–14, 2002., , , , , ,
- 392002 Reduction in bone turnover predicts hip, non-spine, and vertebral fracture in alendronate treated women: The fracture intervention trial. IOF World Congress on Osteoporosis, Lisbon, Portugal, May 10–14, 2002., , , , , , , , ,
- 402001 Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344: 1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 412000 Enhancement of bone mass in osteoporotic women with parathyroid hormone followed by alendronate. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 2129–2134., , , , , ,
- 421997 Randomised controlled study of effect of parathyroid hormone on vertebral-bone mass and fracture incidence among postmenopausal women on oestrogen with osteoporosis. Lancet 350: 550–555., , , , , ,
- 431998 Parathyroid hormone treatment can reverse corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 102: 1627–1633., , , , ,
- 442003 Efficacy and safety of human parathyroid hormone-(1–84) in increasing bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 5212–5220., , , , , ,
- 451993 Early histomorphometric changes in response to parathyroid hormone therapy in osteoporosis: Evidence for de novo bone formation on quiescent cancellous surfaces. Bone 14: 523–527.,
- 462001 PTH treatment directly stimulates bone formation in cancellous and cortical bone in humans. J Bone Miner Res 16: S1; S179., , , , , , , ,
- 471999 Stemming bone loss by suppressing apoptosis. J Clin Invest 104: 371–373.
- 481999 Increased bone formation by prevention of osteoblast apoptosis with parathyroid hormone. J Clin Invest 104: 439–446., , , , ,
- 492003 Short term response to parathyroid hormone (1–34hPTH) in human iliac crest bone using a unique quadruple (double double) tetracycline labeling regimen and single biopsy. J Bone Miner Res 18: S1–S54., , , , , ,
- 502002 Recent contributions of iliac bone histomorphometry to understanding the anabolic effect of parathyroid hormone. Available online at http://www.bonekey-ibms.org/cgi/content/full/ibmske; 2002017v1. Accessed June 15, 2004.
- 511992 Bone resorption and formation on the periosteal envelope of the ilium: A histomorphometric study in healthy women. J Bone Miner Res 7: 1475–1482., ,
- 521995 Evidence that intermittent treatment with parathyroid hormone increases bone formation in adult rats by activation of bone lining cells. Endocrinology 136: 3632–3638.,
- 532001 Effects of daily treatment with parathyroid hormone on bone microarchitecture and turnover in patients with osteoporosis: A paired biopsy study. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1846–1853., , , , , , , , , ,
- 542003 Recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–34) [teriparatide] improves both cortical and cancellous bone structure. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1932–1941., , , , ,
- 552002 Teriparatide (rhPTH(1–34) improves the structural geometry of the hip. J Bone Miner Res 17: S1; S208., , , , ,
- 562003 Daily treatment with parathyroid hormone is associated with an increase in vertebral cross-sectional area in postmenopausal women with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 14: 77–81., , , ,
- 572003 Growth hormone rising: Did we quit too quickly. J Bone Miner Res 18: 406–409.,
- 581992 Bone hypertrophy and trabecular generation in Paget's disease and in fluoride-treated osteoporosis. Bone Miner 17: 399–413., ,
- 592001 Treatment with human parathyroid hormone (1–34) for 18 months increases cancellous bone volume and improves trabecular architecture in ovariectomized cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis). Bone 28: 150–159., , , ,
- 601986 Medical progress series: Involutional osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 314: 1676–1686.,
- 611994 Markers of bone turnover in hyperthyroidism and the effects of treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78: 955–959., , , ,
- 621998 From Wolff's law to the mechanostat: A new “face” of physiology. J Orthop Sci 3: 282–286.
- 632002 Reversal of bone loss in mice by nongenotropic signaling of sex steroids. Science 298: 843–846., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,