The authors have no conflict of interest.
L-Arginine, the Natural Precursor of NO, Is Not Effective for Preventing Bone Loss in Postmenopausal Women†
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 471–479, March 2005
How to Cite
Baecker, N., Boese, A., Schoenau, E., Gerzer, R. and Heer, M. (2005), L-Arginine, the Natural Precursor of NO, Is Not Effective for Preventing Bone Loss in Postmenopausal Women. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 471–479. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041121
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2004
- 12001 Nitric oxide and bone. Immunology 103: 255–261.,
- 21997 Nitric oxide acts in conjunction with proinflammatory cytokines to promote cell death in osteoblasts. J Bone Miner Res 12: 412–422.,
- 32000 Nitroglycerin therapy is as efficacious as standard estrogen replacement therapy (Premarin) in prevention of oophorectomy-induced bone loss: A human pilot clinical study. J Bone Miner Res 15: 2240–2244.
- 41997 Expression of nitric oxide synthase isoforms in bone and bone cell cultures. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1108–1115., , , , ,
- 51998 Nitric oxide synthase expression in bone cells. Bone 23: 1–6.,
- 61995 Bidirectional regulation of osteoclast function by nitric oxide synthase isoforms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 2954–2958., , , , , , ,
- 72003 Effect of nitric oxide donor nitroglycerin on bone mineral density in a rat model of estrogen deficiency-induced osteopenia. Bone 32: 142–149., , , , , , ,
- 82000 Restoration of ovariectomy-induced osteopenia by nitroglycerin. Calcif Tissue Int 66: 56–60.
- 92000 Frequency-dependent effect of nitric oxide donor nitroglycerin on bone. J Bone Miner Res 15: 1119–1125., , , ,
- 101996 Nitric oxide donor alleviates ovariectomy-induced bone loss. Bone 18: 301–304., , ,
- 111997 Prevention of corticosteroid-induced bone loss with nitric oxide donor nitroglycerin in male rats. Bone 21: 275–280., , , ,
- 121993 Nitrates and angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol 72: 3C–6C.
- 132001 Nitric oxide in primary headaches. Curr Opin Neurol 14: 315–321.,
- 141999 The effect of arginine or glycine supplementation on gastrointestinal function, muscle injury, serum amino acid concentrations and performance during a marathon run. Int J Sports Med 20: 315–321., , , , , ,
- 151995 Metabolic effects of arginine in a healthy elderly population. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 19: 227–230., , , ,
- 161993 Arginine stimulates wound healing and immune function in elderly human beings. Surgery 114: 155–159., , , , ,
- 171998 Effects of long-term oral L-arginine on esophageal motility and gallbladder dynamics in healthy humans. Am J Physiol 274: G984–G991., , , , ,
- 182004 The influence of two different doses of L-arginine oral supplementation on nitric oxide (NO) concentration and total antioxidant status (TAS) in atherosclerotic patients. Med Sci Monit 10: CR29–CR32., , , ,
- 191996 Relationship between baseline insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and femoral bone density in women aged over 70 years: Potential implications for the prevention of age-related bone loss. J Am Geriatr Soc 44: 1301–1306., , , , , ,
- 201998 Association between insulin-like growth factor I and bone mineral density in older women and men: The Framingham Heart Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83: 4257–4262., , , , , ,
- 211999 Circulating IGF-I: New perspectives for a new century. Trends Endocrinol Metab 10: 136–141.,
- 221999 Effect of recombinant human growth hormone in elderly osteoporotic women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 51: 715–724., , , , ,
- 231997 Skeletal effects of growth hormone and IGF-I in adults. Horm Res 48 (Suppl 5): 60–64.
- 241995 Insulin-like growth factors I and II in healthy women with and without established osteoporosis. Eur J Endocrinol 132: 313–319., , ,
- 251996 L-arginine induces nitric oxide-dependent vasodilation in patients with critical limb ischemia. A randomized, controlled study. Circulation 93: 85–90., , , , , , ,
- 261997 Effect of long-term oral L-arginine on the nitric oxide synthase pathway in the urine from patients with interstitial cystitis. J Urol 158: 2045–2050., , , ,
- 271986 Arginine needs, physiological state and usual diets. A reevaluation. J Nutr 116: 36–46.
- 282003 Bone's mechanostat: A 2003 update. Anat Rec 275A: 1081–1101.
- 291996 Nitric oxide inhibitor L-NAME suppresses mechanically induced bone formation in rats. Am J Physiol 270: E634–E639., , ,
- 301995 Kurzmethoden zur Charakterisierung des Ernährungsmusters: Einsatz und Auswertung eines Food-Frequency-Fragebogens. Ernährungs-Umschau 42: 289–291.
- 311999 EBIS Pro für Windows 95/98 und NT. Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany.
- 322001 Bone densities and bone size at the distal radius in healthy children and adolescents: A study using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Bone 28: 227–232., , , ,
- 332003 Aging bone in men and women: Beyond changes in bone mineral density. Osteoporos Int 14: 531–538., , , , , , , ,
- 342000 Bone-muscle strength indices for the human lower leg. Bone 27: 319–326., , , , , , , , , ,
- 352000 Endocrine and lipid effects of oral L-arginine treatment in healthy postmenopausal women. J Lab Clin Med 135: 231–237., , , ,
- 361996 Effect of aging on trabecular and compact bone components of proximal and ultradistal radius. Osteoporos Int 6: 355–360., , , , ,
- 372000 Early response in biochemical markers predicts long-term response in bone mass during hormone replacement therapy in early postmenopausal women. Bone 26: 561–569.,
- 382000 Markers of bone turnover for monitoring treatment of osteoporosis with antiresorptive drugs. Osteoporos Int 11 (Suppl 6): S66–S76.
- 391992 Differential effects of arginine on growth hormone releasing hormone and insulin induced growth hormone secretion. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 36: 487–490., , , , ,
- 401993 Short-term effects of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I on bone turnover in normal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 77: 1384–1387., , , ,
- 411997 Bone biomarkers as tools in osteoporosis management. Spine 22: 17S–24S.
- 422000 Biochemical markers of bone formation. Clin Lab Med 20: 489–501.
- 432003 Bone resorption is induced on the second day of bedrest: Results of a controlled crossover trial. J Appl Physiol 95: 977–982., , , , , ,
- 441997 Hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women: Urinary N- telopeptide of type I collagen monitors therapeutic effect and predicts response of bone mineral density. Am J Med 102: 29–37., , , , , , , , , ,
- 451994 Comparison of new biochemical markers of bone turnover in late postmenopausal osteoporotic women in response to alendronate treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79: 1693–1700., , , ,
- 461998 Intermittent use of nitrates increases bone mineral density: The study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1755–1759., , ,
- 472003 Effect of long-term impact-loading on mass, size, and estimated strength of humorus and radius of female racquet-sports players: A peripheral quantitative computed tomography study between young and old starters and controls. J Bone Miner Res 6: 173–177., , , ,
- 482001 Modeling of cross-sectional bone size, mass and geometry at the proximal radius: A study of normal bone development using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Osteoporos Int 12: 538–547., , ,
- 491992 Errors due to non-uniform distribution of fat in dual X-ray absorptiometry of the lumbar spine. Br J Radiol 65: 807–813.,
- 502004 Forearm bone mineral densitometry cannot be used to monitor improvements in hip and spine bone density after 2.5 years of alendronate therapy. J Bone Miner Res 23: S312., ,
- 511998 Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 338: 736–746.
- 521998 Evidence that increased calcium intake does not prevent early postmenopausal bone loss. Clin Ther 20: 933–944., , , , , , , , ,
- 531999 Alendronate increases bone density and bone strength at the distal radius in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1387–1393., , , , , ,
- 541998 L-arginine-induced vasodilation in healthy humans: Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic relationship. Br J Clin Pharmacol 46: 489–497., , , ,
- 551997 Insulin and the arginine paradox. J Clin Invest 99: 369–370.,
- 561993 Splanchnic metabolism of dietary arginine in relation to nitric oxide synthesis in normal adult man. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 193–197., , , , , ,
- 571995 The L-arginine: nitric oxide pathway is the major source of plasma nitrite in fasted humans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 209: 590–596., , , , ,
- 581986 Arginine: Biochemistry, physiology, and therapeutic implications. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 10: 227–238.
- 591998 Arginine increases insulin-like growth factor-I production and collagen synthesis in osteoblast-like cells. Bone 23: 103–109., , , ,
- 602001 Role of soy diet and L-arginine in cyclosporin-A-induced osteopenia in rats. Pharmacol Toxicol 88: 16–19., , , , , , , ,
- 612000 L-arginine prevents bone loss and bone collagen breakdown in cyclosporin A-treated rats. Eur J Pharmacol 408: 323–326., , , , ,