The authors have no conflict of interest.
Impaired Marrow Osteogenesis Is Associated With Reduced Endocortical Bone Formation but Does Not Impair Periosteal Bone Formation in Long Bones of SAMP6 Mice†
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 419–427, March 2005
How to Cite
Silva, M. J., Brodt, M. D., Ko, M. and Abu-Amer, Y. (2005), Impaired Marrow Osteogenesis Is Associated With Reduced Endocortical Bone Formation but Does Not Impair Periosteal Bone Formation in Long Bones of SAMP6 Mice. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 419–427. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041128
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 10 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUN 2004
- 11986 Involutional osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 314: 1676–1686.,
- 21996 The type I/type II model for involutional osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 691–702., ,
- 31979 Quantum concept of bone remodeling and turnover: Implications for the pathogenesis of osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Int 28: 1–5.
- 41983 Evidence for two distinct syndromes of involutional osteoporosis. Am J Med 75: 899–901.,
- 51999 Cell number versus cell vigor—what really matters to a regenerating skeleton? Endocrinology 140: 4377–4381.
- 61978 Mean wall thickness of trabecular bone packets in the human iliac crest: Changes with age. Calcif Tissue Res 26: 13–17., ,
- 71981 Mean wall thickness and formation periods of trabecular bone packets in idiopathic osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Int 33: 199–204.,
- 81995 Relations between histologic indices of bone formation: Implications for the pathogenesis of spinal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 10: 466–473., , ,
- 91988 Static and tetracycline-based bone histomorphometric data from 34 normal postmenopausal females. J Bone Miner Res 3: 133–144., , , , ,
- 101996 Changes in quantitative bone histomorphometry in aging healthy men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81: 2264–2270., , , , , ,
- 111976 Precursor cells of mechanocytes. Int Rev Cytol 47: 327–359.
- 121989 Osteogenic stem cells and the stromal system of bone and marrow. Clin Ortho Rel Res 240: 270–280.
- 131995 Bone marrow, cytokines, and bone remodeling: Emerging insights into the pathophysiology of osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 332: 305–311.,
- 141999 A quadripotential mesenchymal progenitor cell isolated from the marrow of an adult mouse. J Bone Miner Res 14: 700–709., , , , ,
- 151999 Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 284: 143–147., , , , , , , , ,
- 162001 Number and proliferative capacity of osteogenic stem cells are maintained during aging and in patients with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1120–1129., , , ,
- 172002 Maintenance of osteoblastic and adipocytic differentiation potential with age and osteoporosis in human marrow stromal cell cultures. Calcif Tissue Int 71: 36–44., , ,
- 182003 Osteoblast recruitment from stem cells does not decrease by age at late adulthood. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311: 1008–1013., , , , ,
- 191996 The function of adipocytes in the bone marrow stroma: An update. Bone 19: 421–428., , ,
- 201996 Age-related changes in osteogenic stem cells in mice. J Bone Miner Res 11: 568–577., , , , ,
- 211995 Age-related bone loss: A hypothesis and initial assessment in mice. Clin Orthop Rel Res 313: 69–75., , ,
- 221999 Age-related osteogenic potential of mesenchymal stromal stem cells from human vertebral bone marrow. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1115–1122., , , ,
- 232001 Age-related decline in the osteogenic potential of human bone marrow cells cultured in three-dimensional collagen sponges. J Cell Biochem 82: 583–590.,
- 242003 Aging is associated with decreased maximal life span and accelerated senescence of bone marrow stromal cells. Bone 33: 919–926., , ,
- 251996 Biomechanics of age-related fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 373–393., ,
- 261996 Bone remodeling abnormalities in osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 703–713.
- 271977 Age and sex-related changes in the structure and strength of the human femoral shaft. J Biomech 10: 223–231.,
- 281988 Sex differences in age-related remodeling of the femur and tibia. J Orthop Res 6: 886–896.,
- 291994 Age-related differences in cross-sectional geometry of the forearm bones in healthy women. Calcif Tissue Int 54: 113–118., , , ,
- 302003 Bone loss and bone size after menopause. N Engl J Med 349: 327–334., , , ,
- 311997 Senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM): A novel murine model of senescence. Exp Gerontol 32: 105–109., ,
- 321986 Age-related changes in bone mass in the senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM). SAM-R/3 and SAM-P/6 as new murine models for senile osteoporosis. Am J Pathol 125: 276–283., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 331996 Linkage of decreased bone mass with impaired osteoblastogenesis in a murine model of accelerated senescence. J Clin Invest 97: 1732–1740., , , ,
- 341994 Osteoporotic bone changes in SAMP6 are due to a decrease in osteoblast progenitor cells. In: TakedaT (ed.) The SAM Model of Senescence: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Senescence, the SAM Model. Elsevier Science, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 47–52., , , , ,
- 352002 Long bones from the senescence accelerated mouse SAMP6 have increased size but reduced whole-bone strength and resistance to fracture. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1597–1603., ,
- 361998 Alkaline phosphatase levels and osteoprogenitor cell numbers suggest bone formation may contribute to peak bone density differences between two inbred strains of mice. Bone 22: 211–216., , , , , , ,
- 371999 Osteoprogenitor cell frequency in rat bone marrow stromal populations: Role for heterotypic cell-cell interactions in osteoblast differentiation. J Cell Biochem 72: 396–410.
- 381987 Bone histomorphometry: Standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. J Bone Miner Res 2: 595–610., , , , , , ,
- 392003 Bone development and age-related bone loss in male C57BL/6J mice. Bone 33: 387–398., , ,
- 401997 Pathobiology of the senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM). Exp Gerontol 32: 117–127., , , , ,
- 411998 Reduced expression of interleukin-11 in bone marrow stromal cells of senescence-accelerated mice (SAMP6): Relationship to osteopenia with enhanced adipogenesis. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1370–1377., , , , , , , ,