The authors have no conflict of interest.
Development and Initial Validation of a Risk Score for Predicting In-Hospital and 1-Year Mortality in Patients With Hip Fractures†
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 494–500, March 2005
How to Cite
Jiang, H. X., Majumdar, S. R., Dick, D. A., Moreau, M., Raso, J., Otto, D. D. and Johnston, D. W. C. (2005), Development and Initial Validation of a Risk Score for Predicting In-Hospital and 1-Year Mortality in Patients With Hip Fractures. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 494–500. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.041133
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUL 2004
- 11996 Hip fracture. N Engl J Med 334: 1519–1525.
- 21997 Clinical outcomes and treatment of hip fractures. Am J Med 103: 51S–64S.
- 32003 State of the science review: Continuum of care and integration of services for treatment of elderly patients with hip fracture. Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research and Alberta Ministry of Health and Wellness Technical Report. Available online at http://www. ahfmr.ab.ca/grants/state_of_science_final_reports. Accessed on June 12, 2004., , , , ,
- 42004 Association of timing of surgery for hip fracture and patient outcomes. JAMA 291: 1738–1743., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 51984 Hip fracture mortality: Relation to age, treatment, pre-operative illness, time of surgery, and complications. Clin Orthop 186: 45–56., , ,
- 62001 Mortality and locomotion 6 months after hospitalization for hip fracture: Risk factors and risk-adjusted hospital outcomes. JAMA 285: 2736–2742., , , , , , , , , ,
- 71991 Hip fractures among the elderly: Factors associated with in-hospital mortality. Am J Epidemiol 134: 1128–1137., , , , ,
- 81987 Rate of mortality for elderly patients after hip fracture in the 1980's. J Bone Joint Surg Am 69: 1335–1340., ,
- 91999 Mortality after hip fracture: Regional variations in New Zealand. NZ Med J 112: 269–271., , , , ,
- 101997 Treatment and survival among elderly Americans with hip fractures: A population-based study. Am J Public Health 87: 398–403., , ,
- 111995 Postoperative complications and mortality associated with operative delay in older patients who have a hip fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 77: 1551–1556., , , ,
- 121993 Age and sex as determinants of mortality after hip fracture: 3,895 patients followed for 2.5–18.5 years. J Orthop Trauma 7: 525–531.,
- 131997 Hip fractures in the elderly: Predictors of one year mortality. J Orthop Trauma 11: 162–165., , ,
- 141991 Hip fracture incidence and mortality in New England. Epidemiology 2: 116–122., , , , , ,
- 152003 Predicting survival after treatment for fracture of the proximal femur and the effect of delays to surgery. J Clin Epidemiol 56: 788–795., , , , ,
- 162003 Gender differences in mortality after hip fracture: The role of infection. J Bone Miner Res 18: 2231–2237., , , , ,
- 171999 Survival after hip fracture: Short and long term excess mortality according to age and gender. Osteoporos Int 10: 73–78., , , ,
- 182001 Risk adjustment using administrative data: Impact of a diagnosis-type indicator. J Gen Intern Med 16: 519–524., ,
- 191996 Assessment of HCFA's 1992 Medicare hospital information reports of mortality following admission for hip arthroplasty. Health Serv Res 31: 39–48.,
- 202004 Increasing detection and treatment of osteoporosis in patients with wrist fractures: Results of a controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 141: 366–373., , , ,
- 21Anonymous 1992 International Classification of Diseases, 9th revision, 4th ed. Clinical Modification (ICD.9.CM), vol. 1, 2, and 3. Practice Management Information Corporation, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- 222003 Impact of sex on longterm mortality from acute myocardial infarction vs unstable angina. Arch Intern Med 163: 2476–2484., , , , , ,
- 232004 Outcomes and costs among seniors requiring hospitalization for community acquired pneumonia in Alberta. J Am Geriatr Soc 52: 31–38., , , ,
- 241989 Assessing the fit of a model. In: Applied Logistic Regression, 1st ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, pp. 140–145.,
- 251982 The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. Radiology 143: 29–36.,
- 261996 Regression coefficients and scoring rules. J Clin Epidemiol 49: 819.
- 272004 Underreporting of vertebral fractures on routine chest radiography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 182: 297–301., , , ,
- 281999 Assessing the generalizability of prognostic information. Ann Intern Med 130: 515–524., ,