The authors have no conflict of interest.
Growth Patterns at Distal Radius and Tibial Shaft in Pubertal Girls: A 2-Year Longitudinal Study†
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 6, pages 954–961, June 2005
How to Cite
Wang, Q., Alén, M., Nicholson, P., Lyytikäinen, A., Suuriniemi, M., Helkala, E., Suominen, H. and Cheng, S. (2005), Growth Patterns at Distal Radius and Tibial Shaft in Pubertal Girls: A 2-Year Longitudinal Study. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 954–961. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.050110
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 18 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUL 2004
- 11991 Role of peak bone mass and bone loss in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 12 year study. BMJ 303: 961–964., , ,
- 21993 Peak bone mass and osteoporosis prevention. Osteoporos Int 3 (Suppl 1): 56–60., , , , , ,
- 31991 Critical years and stages of puberty for spinal and femoral bone mass accumulation during adolescence. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 73: 555–563., , , ,
- 41994 Peak bone mass. Osteoporos Int 4 (Suppl 1): 7–13., , , ,
- 51992 Longitudinal monitoring of bone mass accumulation in healthy adolescents: Evidence for a marked reduction after 16 years of age at the levels of lumbar spine and femoral neck in female subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75: 1060–1065., , , , , ,
- 61980 Pubertal growth as reflected by simultaneous changes in bone mineral content and serum alkaline phosphatase. Acta Paediatr Scand 69: 49–52., , ,
- 71972 The course of bone gain and the phases of bone loss. Orthop Clin North Am 3: 503–520.
- 82003 Establishment of peak bone mass. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 32: 39–63.,
- 92002 Adolescence: The period of dramatic bone growth. Endocrine 17: 43–48.
- 101989 Epidemiology of fractures of the distal end of the radius in children as associated with growth. J Bone Joint Surg Am 71: 1225–1231., , , ,
- 111997 Asynchrony between the rates of standing height gain and bone mass accumulation during puberty. Osteoporos Int 7: 525–532., , , ,
- 121998 A longitudinal study of bone gain in pubertal girls: Anthropometric and biochemical correlates. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1602–1612., , ,
- 131999 Evolution of lumbar bone mineral content during adolescence and adulthood: A longitudinal study in 395 healthy females 10–24 years of age and 206 premenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 9: 476–482., , ,
- 141999 The differing tempo of growth in bone size, mass, and density in girls is region-specific. J Clin Invest 104: 795–804., , , , ,
- 152001 Bone densities and bone size at the distal radius in healthy children and adolescents: A study using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Bone 28: 227–232., , , ,
- 162001 The development of metaphyseal cortex-implications for distal radius fractures during growth. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1547–1555., , ,
- 171994 The two faces of growth: Benefits and risks to bone integrity. Osteoporos Int 4: 382–398.
- 182002 Gender-specific pubertal changes in volumetric cortical bone mineral density at the proximal radius. Bone 31: 110–113., , ,
- 192004 Relationship of sex hormones to bone geometric properties and mineral density in early pubertal girls. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 1698–1703., , , , , , ,
- 202004 Sexual dimorphism in cortical bone characteristics across puberty: 20-month pQCT study of the tibial shaft. J Bone Miner Res 19: S1–S109., , , ,
- 212001 Modeling of cross-sectional bone size, mass and geometry at the proximal radius: A study of normal bone development using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Osteoporos Int 12: 538–547., , ,
- 222001 Changes in bone density during childhood and adolescence: An approach based on bone's biological organization. J Bone Miner Res 16: 597–604.,
- 231999 Studies on the potential mediators of skeletal changes occurring during puberty in girls. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84: 2807–2814., , , ,
- 242003 Adrenarche and bone modeling and remodeling at the proximal radius: Weak androgens make stronger cortical bone in healthy children. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1539–1546., , , , , ,
- 252001 Calcium turnover and nutrition through the life cycle. Proc Nutr Soc 60: 283–289.
- 262000 Calcium absorption, bone mass accumulation, and kinetics increase during early pubertal development in girls. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 1805–1809., , , , ,
- 272002 Structure and development of the skeleton. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA (eds.) Principles of Bone Biology, 2nd ed., vol. 1. Academic Press, London, UK, pp. 1–15.,
- 282002 Quantitative computed tomography precision and accuracy for long-term follow-up of bone mineral density measurements: A five year in vitro assessment. J Clin Densitom 5: 259–266.
- 291998 Accuracy of cortical and trabecular bone measurements with peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT). Phys Med Biol 43: 2873–2883., , , ,
- 302000 pQCT measurement of bone parameters in young children: Validation of technique. J Clin Densitom 3: 9–14.,
- 311998 Peripheral quantitative computed tomography in human long bones: Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo precision. J Bone Miner Res 13: 871–882., , , , ,
- 321997 Long-term in vitro precision of single slice peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT): Multicenter comparison. Technol Health Care 5: 375–381., , , , , ,
- 331983 Errors in measuring trabecular bone by computed tomography due to marrow and bone composition. Calcif Tissue Int 35: 148–152.
- 342005 Interaction between calcium intake and menarcheal age on bone mass gain: An 8-year follow-up study from pre-puberty to post-menarche. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: 44–51., , , ,
- 351997 Calcium-enriched foods and bone mass growth in prepubertal girls: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Invest 99: 1287–1294., , , , , ,