The authors have no conflict of interest.
Comparison Insight Bone Measurements by Histomorphometry and μCT†
Article first published online: 14 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 7, pages 1177–1184, July 2005
How to Cite
Chappard, D., Retailleau-Gaborit, N., Legrand, E., Baslé, M. F. and Audran, M. (2005), Comparison Insight Bone Measurements by Histomorphometry and μCT. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 1177–1184. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.050205
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 14 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 21 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUL 2004
- 1Anonymous 1993 Consensus development conference. Prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis. Am J Med 94: 646–650.
- 21970 Cellular-level bone resorption in chronic renal failure and primary hyperparathyroidism. A tetracycline-based evaluation. Calcif Tissue Res 5: 288–304., , , ,
- 31971 Osteoporosis and the replacement of cell populations of the marrow by adipose tissue. A quantitative study of 84 iliac bone biopsies. Clin Orthop 80: 147–154., , ,
- 42001 Skeletal histomorphometry and biotechnology in 2001 AD: Quo vadis? J Histotechnol 24: 89–93.
- 51987 Bone histomorphometry: Standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. Report of the ASBMR Histomorphometry Nomenclature Committee. J Bone Miner Res 2: 595–610., , , , , , ,
- 62001 Fractal dimension of trabecular bone: Comparison of three histomorphometric computed techniques for measuring the architectural two-dimensional complexity. J Pathol 195: 515–521., , , , , , , ,
- 71999 Comparison of eight histomorphometric methods for measuring trabecular bone architecture by image analysis on histological sections. Microsc Res Pract 45: 303–312., , , ,
- 81995 Intermittent treatment with human parathyroid hormone (hPTH[1–34]) increased trabecular bone volume but not connectivity in osteopenic rats. J Bone Miner Res 10: 1470–1477., , ,
- 91996 Bone-selective analogs of human PTH(1–34) increase bone formation in an ovariectomized rat model. J Bone Miner Res 11: 614–625., , , , , ,
- 102001 Human parathyroid hormone 1–34 reverses bone loss in ovariectomized mice. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1665–1673., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 111976 A method of analysis of trabecular bone dynamics. In: MeunierPJ (ed.) Bone Histomorphometry, 2nd Int. Workshop Armour Montagu Lab., Levallois-Perret, Paris, France, pp. 445–476.
- 121997 A new method for the model-independent assessment of thickness in three-dimensional images. J Microsc 185: 67–75.,
- 132001 Three-dimensional analysis of nonhuman primate trabecular architecture using micro-computed tomography. Am J Phys Anthropol 115: 327–336.,
- 141992 Trabecular bone pattern factor—a new parameter for simple quantification of bone microarchitecture. Bone 13: 327–330., , ,
- 151983 The stereologic basis of bone histomorphometry. Theory of quantitative microscopy and reconstruction of the 3rd dimension. In: ReckerR (ed.) Bone Histomorphometry, Technique and Interpretation. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, pp. 53–87.
- 161983 Relationships between surface, volume and thickness of iliac trabecular bone in aging and in osteoporosis. Implications for the microanatomic and cellular mechanisms of bone loss. J Clin Invest 72: 1396–1409., , , , ,
- 172000 Normative data for iliac bone histomorphometry in growing children. Bone 26: 103–109., , , , , ,
- 181994 Connectivity of cancellous bone: Assessment and mechanical implications. Bone 15: 463–466.
- 191992 Computerized quantitative analysis of the interconnectivity of porous biomaterials. Acta Stereol 11S1: 267–272., , ,
- 201991 A new manual method for assessing two-dimensional cancellous bone structure: Comparison between iliac crest and lumbar vertebra. J Bone Miner Res 6: 689–696., , , ,
- 211983 A new biometrical procedure for testing the equality of measurements from two different analytical methods. Application of linear regression procedures for method comparison studies in Clinical Chemistry. J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 21: 709–720.,
- 221986 Statistical methods for assessing between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet 1: 307–310.,
- 231995 A simple, graphical method to evaluate laboratory assays. Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 33: 525–527.,
- 242003 Assessment of agreement of a quantitative variable: A new graphical approach. J Clin Epidemiol 56: 963–967., , ,
- 252003 Multiple method comparison: Statistical model using percentage similarity. Cytometry 54B: 46–53., ,
- 261996 Analysis of method comparison studies. Ann Clin Biochem 33: 1–4.
- 271997 Graphical interpretation of analytical data from comparison of a field method with a reference method by use of difference plots. Clin Chem 43: 2039–2046., , , , , , ,
- 281999 The visualization and evaluation of bone architecture in the rat using three-dimensional X-ray microcomputed tomography. J Bone Miner Metab 17: 37–44., , , , , , , ,
- 292002 When density fails to predict bone strength. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 73: 1–57.
- 301996 Altered trabecular architecture induced by corticosteroids: A bone histomorphometric study. J Bone Miner Res 11: 676–685., , , , , ,
- 312000 Trabecular bone microarchitecture, bone mineral density, and vertebral fractures in male osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 15: 13–19., , , , , , ,
- 322002 Static histomorphometry of human iliac crest and vertebral trabecular bone: A comparative study. Bone 30: 267–274., ,
- 332003 Interrelationships between structural parameters of cancellous bone reveal accelerated structural change at low bone volume. J Bone Miner Res 18: 2200–2205.,
- 341993 Application of fractal geometry techniques to the study of trabecular bone. Med Phys 20: 1611–1619., ,
- 351994 Fractal geometry and vertebral compression fractures. J Bone Miner Res 9: 1797–1802.,
- 361998 Fractal properties of cancellous bone of the iliac crest in vertebral crush fracture. Bone 23: 53–57.,
- 371997 Modeling the mechanical behavior of vertebral trabecular bone: Effects of age-related changes in microstructure. Bone 21: 191–199.,
- 382003 Simulated aging-a novel method for estimating the risk of fracture of trabecular bone. Bone 33: 229–236.
- 391996 Evolution of the bone-titanium interface on implants coated/noncoated with xenogeneic bone particles: Quantitative microscopic analysis. J Biomed Mater Res 32: 175–180., , , ,