Dr Eriksen was an employee and owns stock in Eli Lilly. Drs Donley and Dalsky are employees of Eli Lilly and Company. Dr San Martin was an employee at Eli Lilly and Company during the course of this study. Dr Meunier serves as a consultant for Aventis, Eli Lilly and Company, MSD, Nycomed, Procter & Gamble, and Servier. Dr Arlot received a grant from Eli Lilly and Company. Dr Boivin serves as a consultant for Eli Lilly and Company and Servier. All other authors have no conflict of interest.
Differential Effects of Teriparatide and Alendronate on Bone Remodeling in Postmenopausal Women Assessed by Histomorphometric Parameters†
Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 7, pages 1244–1253, July 2005
How to Cite
Arlot, M., Meunier, P. J., Boivin, G., Haddock, L., Tamayo, J., Correa-Rotter, R., Jasqui, S., Donley, D. W., Dalsky, G. P., Martin, J. S. and Eriksen, E. F. (2005), Differential Effects of Teriparatide and Alendronate on Bone Remodeling in Postmenopausal Women Assessed by Histomorphometric Parameters. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 1244–1253. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.050309
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUL 2004
- 12002 High bone turnover is intrinsically harmful: Two paths to a similar conclusion. The Parfitt view. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1558–1559.
- 21997 High bone turnover is associated with low bone mass and spinal fracture in postmenopausal women. Calcif Tissue Int 60: 255–260., , , , ,
- 31995 Assessment of biochemical markers of bone metabolism in relation to the occurrence of fracture: A retrospective and prospective population-based study of women. J Bone Miner Res 10: 1823–1829., , , , , ,
- 41996 Markers of bone resorption predict hip fracture in elderly women: The EPIDOS Prospective Study. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1531–1538., , , , , , , , ,
- 52002 Biochemical indices of bone turnover and the assessment of fracture probability. Osteoporos Int 13: 523–526., , , , ,
- 61986 Normal and pathological remodeling of human trabecular bone: Three dimensional reconstruction of the remodeling sequence in normals and in metabolic bone disease. Endocr Rev 7: 379–408.
- 72003 Reduced bone formation and increased bone resorption: Rational targets for the treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 14 (Suppl 3): S2–S8.
- 82003 Is the paradigm shifting? Bone 33: 457–465.
- 91999 Bisphosphonates: From the laboratory to the clinic and back again. Bone 25: 97–106.,
- 101998 Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: Results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. JAMA 280: 2077–2082., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 111996 Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet 348: 1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 122000 Fracture risk reduction with alendronate in women with osteoporosis: The Fracture Intervention Trial. FIT Research Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 4118–4124., , , , , , , ,
- 131995 Effect of oral alendronate on bone mineral density and the incidence of fractures in postmenopausal osteoporosis. The Alendronate Phase III Osteoporosis Treatment Study Group. N Engl J Med 333: 1437–1443., , , , , , , , ,
- 141997 Histomorphometric assessment of the long-term effects of alendronate on bone quality and remodeling in patients with osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 100: 1475–1480., , , , ,
- 152000 Alendronate increases bone strength by increasing the mean degree of mineralization of bone tissue in osteoporotic women. Bone 27: 687–694., , , ,
- 162002 Biomechanics of bone: Determinants of skeletal fragility and bone quality. Osteoporos Int 13: 97–104.
- 172003 Bone microarchitecture and strength. Osteoporos Int 14 (Suppl 5): 54–56.
- 182002 Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Lancet 359: 2018–2026.
- 191976 Anabolic effect of low doses of a fragment of human parathyroid hormone on the skeleton in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Lancet 1: 1035–1038., , , , , , , ,
- 201980 Anabolic effect of human parathyroid hormone fragment on trabecular bone in involutional osteoporosis: A multicentre trial. BMJ 280: 1340–1344., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 211997 Randomised controlled study of effect of parathyroid hormone on vertebral-bone mass and fracture incidence among postmenopausal women on oestrogen with osteoporosis. Lancet 350: 550–555., , , , , , ,
- 222001 Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344: 1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 232003 The effect of teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone (1–34)] therapy on bone mineral density in men with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 18: 9–17., , , , , , , ,
- 241999 Increased bone formation by prevention of osteoblast apoptosis with parathyroid hormone. J Clin Invest 104: 439–446., , , , ,
- 251999 Anabolic effects of human biosynthetic parathyroid hormone fragment (1–34), LY333334, on remodeling and mechanical properties of cortical bone in rabbits. J Bone Miner Res 14: 536–545., , , , ,
- 261997 Biosynthetic human parathyroid hormone (1–34) effects on bone quality in aged ovariectomized rats. Endocrinology 138: 4330–4337., ,
- 272001 Intermittently administered human parathyroid hormone(1–34) treatment increases intracortical bone turnover and porosity without reducing bone strength in the humerus of ovariectomized cynomolgus monkeys. J Bone Miner Res 16: 157–165., , , , ,
- 281999 Daily treatment with human recombinant parathyroid hormone-(1–34), LY333334, for 1 year increases bone mass in ovariectomized monkeys. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84: 3757–3763., , , , ,
- 292003 Distinctive effects of teriparatide [rhPTH(1–34)] and alendronate on bone turnover and lumbar spine bone density in women with osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 13: S18., , , , , , ,
- 302003 Differential effects of teriparatide and alendronate on markers of bone remodeling and areal and volumetric bone density in women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 18: S1–S40., , , , , , , ,
- 312003 Diverging effects of teriparatide and alendronate on bone formation in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. A histomorphometric study after 6 months of therapy. Calcif Tissue Int 72: 407., , , , , , , ,
- 321987 Bone histomorphometry: Standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. Report of the ASBMR Histomorphometry Nomenclature Committee. J Bone Miner Res 2: 595–610., , , , , , ,
- 332003 Teriparatide [recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–34)] improves both cortical and cancellous bone structure. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1932–1941., , , , ,
- 341995 Automatic-interactive measurement of resorption cavities in transiliac bone biopsies and correlation with deoxypyridinoline. Bone 17: 153–156., , , ,
- 352002 The degree of mineralization of bone tissue measured by computerized quantitative contact microradiography. Calcif Tissue Int 70: 503–511.,
- 362003 Methodological considerations in measurement of bone mineral content. Osteoporos Int 14 (Suppl 5): 22–28.,
- 372001 Effects of daily treatment with parathyroid hormone on bone microarchitecture and turnover in patients with osteoporosis: A paired biopsy study. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1846–1853., , , , , , , , , ,
- 382003 Effects of intermittent parathyroid hormone administration on bone mineralization density in iliac crest biopsies from patients with osteoporosis: A paired study before and after treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 1150–1156., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 392001 A theoretical analysis of the contributions of remodeling space, mineralization, and bone balance to changes in bone mineral density during alendronate treatment. Bone 29: 511–516., , ,
- 401990 Trabecular and endocortical bone remodeling in postmenopausal osteoporosis: Comparison with normal postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 1: 41–49., , ,
- 412004 Does bone resorption inhibition affect the anabolic response to parathyroid hormone? Trends Endocrinol Metab 15: 49–50.
- 422003 Characteristics of modeling and remodeling osteons after teriparatide treatment. Bone 32: S225., ,
- 432003 Teriparatide increases the width of modeling and remodeling osteons at the trabecular and endosteal envelope. Calcif Tissue Int 72: 329., ,
- 442003 The effects of parathyroid hormone and alendronate alone or in combination in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 349: 1207–1215., , , , , , , , ,
- 452003 The effects of parathyroid hormone, alendronate, or both in men with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 349: 1216–1226., , , , ,
- 462004 Differential effects of teriparatide on BMD after treatment with raloxifene or alendronate. J Bone Miner Res 19: 745–751., , ,
- 471982 Subperiosteal expansion and cortical remodeling of the human femur and tibia with aging. Science 217: 945–948.,
- 482003 Evidence for bone formation on the external “periosteal” surface of the femoral neck: A comparison of intracapsular hip fracture cases and controls. Osteoporos Int 14: 141–145., , , ,
- 492003 Remodeling and skeletal fragility. Osteoporos Int 14: S12–S15.
- 502003 Contribution of raloxifene and calcium and vitamin D3 supplementation to the increase of the degree of mineralization of bone in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 4199–4205., , , , , ,
- 512002 Effects of long-term risedronate on bone quality and bone turnover in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone 31: 620–625., , , ,