Dr Miller received funding from Amgen, Aventis, Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Novartis, Pfizer, Pharmacia, Procter & Gamble, and Roche. He has served as a speaker, a consultant, and on the advisory boards of Amgen, Aventis, Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Novartis, NPS Pharmaceuticals, Procter & Gamble, and Roche.
Monthly Oral Ibandronate Therapy in Postmenopausal Osteoporosis: 1-Year Results From the MOBILE Study
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 8, pages 1315–1322, August 2005
How to Cite
Miller, P. D., Mcclung, M. R., Macovei, L., Stakkestad, J. A., Luckey, M., Bonvoisin, B., Reginster, J.-Y., Recker, R. R., Hughes, C., Lewiecki, E. M., Felsenberg, D., Delmas, P. D., Kendler, D. L., Bolognese, M. A., Mairon, N. and Cooper, C. (2005), Monthly Oral Ibandronate Therapy in Postmenopausal Osteoporosis: 1-Year Results From the MOBILE Study. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 1315–1322. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.050313
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 26 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 27 DEC 2004
- 1International Osteoporosis Foundation 2001 Osteoporosis in the European Community: A Call To Action. International Osteoporosis Foundation, Berne, Switzerland.
- 21997 The socio-economic burden of fractures: Today and in the 21st century. Am J Med 103: 20S–26S.
- 31997 Medical expenditures for the treatment of osteoporotic fractures in the United States in 1995; report from the National Osteoporosis Foundation. J Bone Miner Res 12: 24–35., , ,
- 41992 Perspective. How many women have osteoporosis? J Bone Miner Res 7: 1005–1010., , , ,
- 51991 A model of lifetime osteoporosis impact. Arch Intern Med 151: 2026–2032., , ,
- 61995 Late physical and functional effects of osteoporotic fracture in women. The Rancho Bernardo Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 43: 955–961., , ,
- 71993 Population-based study of survival after osteoporotic fractures. Am J Epidemiol 137: 1001–1005., , , ,
- 81996 Mortality following fractures in older women. The study of osteoporotic fractures. Arch Intern Med 156: 1521–1525., , ,
- 9Osteoporosis Prevention Diagnosis and Therapy 2000 NIH Consensus Statement. March 27–29, 2000.
- 10Oral Ibandronate Osteoporosis Vertebral Fracture Trial in North America and Europe (BONE) 2004 Effects of oral ibandronate administered daily or intermittently on fracture risk in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 19: 1241–1249., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 112000 Randomized trial of the effects of risedronate on vertebral fractures in women with established postmenopausal osteoporosis. Vertebral Efficacy with Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. Osteoporos Int 11: 83–91., , , , , , , , , ,
- 121996 Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet 348: 1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 131999 Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: A randomized controlled trial. Vertebral Efficacy with Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. JAMA 282: 1344–1352., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 14Hip Intervention Program Study Group 2001 Effect of risedronate on the risk of hip fracture in elderly women. Hip Intervention Program Study Group. N Engl J Med 344: 333–340., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 152004 Alendronate in the prevention of osteoporosis: 7-year follow-up. Osteoporos Int 15: 483–488., , , , , ,
- 162004 Ten years' experience with alendronate for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 350: 1189–1199., , , , , , , , , ,
- 172003 Long-term efficacy of risedronate: A 5-year placebo-controlled clinical experience. Bone 32: 120–126., , , , , , , , ,
- 18Suppapanya N Alendronate Phase III Osteoporosis Treatment Study Group 2004 Does dosing regimen impact persistence with bisphosphonate therapy among postmenopausal osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 19: S1–S448., , ,
- 192004 Medication persistence is better with weekly bisphosphonates, but it remains suboptimal. J Bone Miner Res 19: S1–S172., , , ,
- 202003 Adherence to bisphosphonate hormone replacement therapy in a tertiary care setting of patients in the CANDOO database. Osteoporos Int 14: 808–813., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 212004 The impact of compliance with osteoporosis therapy on fracture rates in actual practice. Osteoporos Int 15: 1003–1008., , , ,
- 222003 Compliance with pharmacologic therapy for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 14: 965–968., , , , ,
- 232004 The impact of monitoring adherence and persistence with antiresorptive treatment for postmenopausal osteoporosis: A randomized controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 1117–1123., ,
- 242004 Compliance with drug therapies for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. Maturitas 48: 271–287., , ,
- 251999 Compliance with sulphonylureas in a health maintenance organization: A pharmacy record-based study. Ann Pharmacother 33: 281–288., , , , ,
- 262001 A systematic review of the associations between dose regimens and medication compliance. Clin Ther 8: 1296–1310., ,
- 271997 Impact of dosing frequency on patient compliance. Diabetes Care 20: 1512–1517., ,
- 281991 BM 21.0955, a potent new bisphosphonate to inhibit bone resorption. J Bone Miner Res 6: 1003–1011., , , , , ,
- 292004 Ibandronate in osteoporosis: Preclinical data and rationale for intermittent dosing. Osteoporos Int 15: 423–433.,
- 302003 Oral monthly ibandronate decreases bone turnover in postmenopausal women with low bone mass: Results from the Monthly Oral Pilot Study (MOPS). Osteoporos Int 14 (Suppl 7): S5., , ,
- 312000 Antifracture efficacy of antiresorptive agents are related to changes in bone density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 231–236.,
- 322002 Changes in bone density and turnover explain the reductions in incidence of nonvertebral fractures that occur during treatment with antiresorptive agents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 1586–1592., , , , ,
- 33ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline 1999 Statistical principles for clinical trials. Stat Med 18: 1905–1942.
- 342002 The efficacy and tolerability of risedronate once a week for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Int 71: 103–111., , , , , , , ,
- 352001 Ibandronate: A comparison of oral daily dosing versus intermittent dosing in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1871–1878., , , ,
- 361996 The effect on bone mass and bone markers of different doses of ibandronate: A new bisphosphonate for prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: A 1 year, randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled dose finding study. Bone 19: 527–533., , ,
- 37Merck & Co., Inc. 2004 Alendronate prescribing information. Available online at http://www.fosamax.com. Accessed December 2004.
- 382003 Risedronate prescribing information. Available online at http://www.actonel.com. Accessed December 2004.
- 392000 Therapeutic equivalence of alendronate 70 mg once-weekly and alendronate 10 mg daily in the treatment of osteoporosis. Alendronate Once-Weekly Study Group. Aging (Milano) 12: 1–12., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 40Alendronate Once-Weekly Study Group 2002 Two-year results of once-weekly administration of alendronate 70 mg for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1988–1996., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,