The authors have no conflict of interest.
Identification of High-Risk Individuals for Hip Fracture: A 14-Year Prospective Study†
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2005
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 11, pages 1921–1928, November 2005
How to Cite
Nguyen, N. D., Pongchaiyakul, C., Center, J. R., Eisman, J. A. and Nguyen, T. V. (2005), Identification of High-Risk Individuals for Hip Fracture: A 14-Year Prospective Study. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 1921–1928. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.050520
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 11 APR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 23 JAN 2005
- 11989 Lifetime risks of hip, Colles', or vertebral fracture and coronary heart disease among white postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 149: 2445–2448., ,
- 21999 Mortality after all major types of osteoporotic fracture in men and women: An observational study. Lancet 353: 878–882., , , ,
- 31985 Epidemiology of osteoporosis and osteoporotic fractures. Epidemiol Rev 7: 178–208., , ,
- 42002 Symptomatic fracture incidence in those under 50 years of age in southern Tasmania. J Paediatr Child Health 38: 278–283.,
- 51994 Symptomatic fracture incidence in elderly men and women: The Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study (DOES). Osteoporos Int 4: 277–282., , , , ,
- 61996 Risk factors for osteoporotic fractures in elderly men. Am J Epidemiol 144: 255–263., , ,
- 72002 Clinical use of bone densitometry: Scientific review. JAMA 288: 1889–1897., ,
- 81991 Risk factors for hip fractures in men: A preliminary study. J Bone Miner Res 6: 865–868., , , ,
- 91987 Trauma type, age, and gender as determinants of hip fracture. J Orthop Res 5: 242–246.,
- 101993 Hip fractures: A worldwide problem today and tomorrow. Bone 14 (Suppl 1): S1–S8.
- 111991 Postural stability and associated physiological factors in a population of aged persons. J Gerontol 46: M69–M76., ,
- 121993 Prediction of osteoporotic fractures by postural instability and bone density. BMJ 307: 1111–1115., , , , , ,
- 131989 A simple method for assessing calcium intake in Caucasian women. J Am Diet Assoc 89: 209–214., , ,
- 141997 Sources of variability in bone mineral density measurements: Implications for study design and analysis of bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12: 124–135., ,
- 151995 Comparison of areal and estimated volumetric bone mineral density values between older men and women. Osteoporos Int 5: 271–275., , , , , , ,
- 161972 Regression models and life tables. J Roy Stat Soc B 34: 187–220.
- 171980 Statistical Models for Survival Data Analysis. Lifetime Learning Publications, Belmont, CA, USA.
- 181995 Sequential and average attributable fractions as aids in the selection of preventive strategies. J Clin Epidemiol 48: 645–655.,
- 19SAS Institute 1999 SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 8., 8.01 (TSL01M0) ed. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- 201998 Quadriceps function, proprioceptive acuity and functional performance in healthy young, middle-aged and elderly subjects. Age Ageing 27: 55–62., ,
- 212001 Static postural sway, proprioception, and maximal voluntary quadriceps contraction in patients with knee osteoarthritis and normal control subjects. Ann Rheum Dis 60: 612–618., ,
- 221994 Postural stability, falls and fractures in the elderly: Results from the Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study. Med J Aust 160: 684–685; 688–91., , , , , ,
- 231989 Anthropometric indicators and hip fracture. The NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study. J Am Geriatr Soc 37: 9–16., , , , ,
- 241997 Bone density and risk of hip fracture in men and women: Cross-sectional analysis. BMJ 315: 221–225., , , ,
- 252000 Alendronate for the treatment of osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med 343: 604–610., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 262000 Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: A summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res 15: 721–739., , , ,
- 272003 Fracture prediction from bone mineral density in Japanese men and women. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1547–1553., , , , ,
- 281995 Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 332: 767–773., , , , , , , ,