The authors have no conflict of interest.
Genetic Variation in Bone Growth Patterns Defines Adult Mouse Bone Fragility†
Version of Record online: 11 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 20, Issue 11, pages 1983–1991, November 2005
How to Cite
Price, C., Herman, B. C., Lufkin, T., Goldman, H. M. and Jepsen, K. J. (2005), Genetic Variation in Bone Growth Patterns Defines Adult Mouse Bone Fragility. J Bone Miner Res, 20: 1983–1991. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.050707
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAY 2005
- 11998 Family history and risk of osteoporotic fracture. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Osteoporos Int 8: 557–562., , ,
- 21998 Genetic and environmental contributions to the association between quantitative ultrasound and bone mineral density measurements: A twin study. J Bone Miner Res 13: 1318–1327., , , ,
- 32000 Cross-sectional geometry, bone strength, and bone mass in the proximal femur in black and white postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 15: 1992–1997., , ,
- 41991 Genetic factors in bone turnover. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 72: 808–813., , , , ,
- 51993 Changes in axial bone density with age: A twin study. J Bone Miner Res 8: 11–17., , , , ,
- 62003 Bone quality: Where do we go from here. Osteoporos Int 14 (Suppl 5): 118–127.
- 72003 Searching for osteoporosis genes in the post-genome era: Progress and challenges. Osteoporos Int 14: 701–715., ,
- 82003 Pleiotropy, homeostasis, and functional networks based on assays of cardiovascular traits in genetically randomized populations. Genome Res 13: 2082–2091., , , , ,
- 92003 Hierarchical relationship between bone traits and mechanical properties in inbred mice. Mamm Genome 14: 97–104., , ,
- 101957 Genetical studies on the skeleton of the mouse XXI. The girdles and the long bones. J Genet 55: 313–324.
- 111983 Quantitative genetic variation in the skeleton of the mouse. Genet Res 42: 169–182.,
- 121986 Quantitative genetic variation in the skeleton of the mouse: II Description of variation within and between inbred strains. Am J Anat 176: 287–303., ,
- 131996 Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice. Bone 18: 397–403., , ,
- 142001 Bone brittleness varies with genetic background in A/J and C57BL/6J inbred mice. J Bone Miner Res 16: 1854–1862., , , ,
- 152004 Bone intrinsic material properties in three inbred mouse strains. Calcif Tissue Int 75: 416–420., ,
- 161999 Histomorphometric studies show that bone formation and bone mineral apposition rates are greater in C3H/HeJ (high-density) than C57BL/6J (low-density) mice during growth. Bone 25: 421–429., , , , , ,
- 172000 Genetic variations in bone density, histomorphometry, and strength in mice. Calcif Tissue Int 67: 337–344., , , , ,
- 181998 Bone response to in vivo mechanical loading in two breeds of mice. Calcif Tissue Int 63: 442–449., , , ,
- 192003 Tail suspension induces bone loss in skeletally mature mice in the C57BL/6J strain but not in the C3H/HeJ strain. J Bone Miner Res 18: 561–569., , , , , ,
- 201996 Adaptation to differential loading: Comparison of growth-related changes in cross-sectional properties of the human femur and humerus. Bone 19: 121–126.,
- 211970 The Earlier Gain and the Later Loss of Cortical Bone, in Nutritional Perspective. Thomas, Springfield, IL, USA.
- 221993 Mechanobiologic influences in long bone cross-sectional growth. Bone 14: 635–642., ,
- 232003 Structural and biomechanical basis of sexual dimorphism in femoral neck fragility has its origins in growth and aging. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1766–1774., , ,
- 241997 From density to structure: Growing up and growing old on the surfaces of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12: 509–521.
- 251989 Scaling of long bone fracture strength with animal mass. J Biomech 22: 1175–1183.,
- 261992 Von Kossa method for minerals. In: ProphetEB (ed.) Laboratory Methods in Histotechnology. American Registry of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA, p. 197.
- 272001 Postnatal and pubertal skeletal changes contribute predominantly to the differences in peak bone density between C3H/HeJ and C57BL/6J mice. J Bone Miner Res 16: 386–397., , , , , , , , ,
- 282003 Bone development and age-related bone loss in male C57BL/6J mice. Bone 33: 387–398., , ,
- 291999 Growing C57Bl/6 mice increase whole bone mechanical properties by increasing geometric and material properties. J Bone Miner Res 14: 2159–2166., ,
- 301997 Variability of embryonic development among three inbred strains of mice. Growth Dev Aging 61: 141–155., ,
- 312001 Intrauterine programming of adult body composition. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86: 267–272., , , ,
- 321997 Growth in infancy and bone mass in later life. Ann Rheum Dis 56: 17–21., , , , ,
- 332000 Early identification of children predisposed to low peak bone mass and osteoporosis later in life. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 3908–3918., , , , ,
- 341987 Stress fractures and tibial bone width. A risk factor. J Bone Joint Surg Br 69: 326–329., , , , , , , , ,
- 352004 Tensile yield in compact bone is determined by strain, post-yield behaviour by mineral content. J Biomech 37: 549–556.
- 361990 Continuing periosteal apposition. I: Documentation, hypotheses, and interpretation. Am J Phys Anthropol 82: 451–472.
- 371986 Quantitative measurement of periosteal and cortical-endosteal bone formation and resorption in the midshaft of female rat femur. Bone 7: 55–62.
- 381962 A study of the post-natal growth and remodeling of bone. Am J Anat 110: 79–101.