The authors have no conflict of interest.
Earliest Mineral and Matrix Changes in Force-Induced Musculoskeletal Disease as Revealed by Raman Microspectroscopic Imaging†
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 64–71, January 2004
How to Cite
Tarnowski, C. P., Ignelzi, M. A., Wang, W., Taboas, J. M., Goldstein, S. A. and Morris, M. D. (2004), Earliest Mineral and Matrix Changes in Force-Induced Musculoskeletal Disease as Revealed by Raman Microspectroscopic Imaging. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 64–71. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.0301201
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 25 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 2 DEC 2002
- 12000 Craniosynostosis: Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Management. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA.
- 21993 Sutural biology and the correlates of craniosynostosis. Am J Med Genet 47:581–616.
- 31999 Craniosynostosis syndromes: From genes to premature fusion of skull bones. Mol Genet Metab 68:139–151.,
- 41999 Implant-borne suture expansion in rabbits: A histomorphometric study of the supporting bone. J Biomed Mater Res 45:1–10., , , ,
- 51997 Sutural expansion using rigidly integrated endosseous implants: An experimental study in rabbits. Angle Orthod 67:283–290., , , ,
- 61995 Frontonasal suture expansion in the rabbit using titanium screws. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 53:1033–1043., ,
- 71987 The morphologic and biochemical effects of tensile force application to the interparietal suture of the Sprague-Dawley rat. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 92:123–133.,
- 81996 Effects of expansive force on the differentiation of midpalatal suture cartilage in rats. Bone 18:341–348., , , , , ,
- 91992 Force magnitude effects upon osteoprogenitor cells during premaxillary expansion in rats. Angle Orthod 62:197–202.,
- 101990 The effect of duration and magnitude of tensile mechanical forces on sutural tissue in vivo. Eur J Orthod 12:330–339., ,
- 111988 The effects of force magnitude on a sutural model: A quantitative approach. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 93:460–466.,
- 121989 Effect of force level on synthesis of type III and type I collagen in mouse interparietal suture. J Dent Res 68:1746–1751., ,
- 131990 Immunolocalization of collagenase and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP) in mechanically deformed fibrous joints. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 97:281–288., , , ,
- 141959 The pathogenesis of premature cranial synostosis in man. Acta Anat (Basel) 37:351–370.
- 151989 Sutures and intrauterine deformation. In: PersingJA, EdgertonMT, JaneJA (eds.) Scientific Foundations and Surgical Treatment of Craniosynostosis. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA, pp. 96–106.,
- 161998 Midpalatal suture of osteopetrotic (op/op) mice exhibits immature fusion. Exp Anim 47:277–281., , , , , ,
- 171986 Masticatory muscle function and craniofacial morphology. An experimental study in the growing rat fed a soft diet. Swed Dent J Suppl 36:1–55.
- 181995 Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy: Methods and Applications. VCH Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- 192000 Application of vibrational spectroscopy to the study of mineralized tissues. J Biomed Opt 5:259–268.,
- 201999 Histological classification of Raman spectra of human coronary artery atherosclerosis using principal component analysis. Appl Spectrosc 53:938–942., , , , ,
- 211992 Quantitative histochemical analysis of human artery using Raman spectroscopy. J Photochem Photobiol B 16:211–233., , ,
- 221992 In situ optical histochemistry of human artery using near infrared Fourier transform Raman spectroscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:3473–3477., ,
- 231998 Raman spectroscopy for quantifying cholesterol in intact coronary artery wall. Atherosclerosis 141:117–124., , , , , , , ,
- 242000 In vivo determination of the molecular composition of artery wall by intravascular Raman spectroscopy. Anal Chem 72:3771–3775., , , , , , , ,
- 251998 Near-infrared Raman spectroscopy for in vitro detection of cervical precancers. Photochem Photobiol 68:123–132., , , , , ,
- 262001 Near-infrared Raman spectroscopy for in vivo detection of cervical precancers. Appl Spectrosc 55:955–959., , , , ,
- 271997 Raman chemical imaging of breast tissue. J Raman Spectrosc 28:119–124.,
- 282000 In vivo detection of dyplastic tissue by Raman spectroscopy. Anal Chem 72:6010–6018., , , , , , ,
- 292000 In vivo near-infrared Raman spectroscopy: Demonstration of feasibility during clinical gastrointestinal endoscopy. Photochem Photobiol 72:146–150., , ,
- 302002 Mineralization of developing mouse calvaria as revealed by Raman microspectroscopy. J Bone Miner Res 17:1118–1126., ,
- 311996 Multivariate Image Analysis. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, UK.,
- 321996 Applied Factor Analysis in the Natural Sciences. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.,
- 331995 Chemometrics in Analytical Spectroscopy. The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK.
- 341999 Chemometrics: Statistics and Computer Application in Analytical Chemistry. Wiley-VCH, New York, NY, USA.
- 352000 Raman spectroscopic imaging markers for fatigue-related microdamage in bovine bone. Anal Chem 72:2229–2236., , , ,
- 361998 Hyperspectral Raman line imaging on an aluminosilicate glass. Appl Spectrosc 52:64–69., ,
- 371998 Is all bone the same? Distinctive distributions and properties of non-collagenous matrix proteins in lamellar vs. woven bone imply the existence of different underlying osteogenic mechanisms. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 9:201–223.
- 381998 Dura mater maintains rat cranial sutures in vitro by regulating suture cell proliferation and collagen production. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 18:150–158., , , ,
- 391999 Msx2 gene dosage influences the number of proliferative osteogenic cells in growth centers of the developing murine skull: A possible mechanism for MSX2-mediated craniosynostosis in humans. Dev Biol 295:260–274., , , , , , , ,
- 402003 Fibroblast growth factors lead to increased Msx2 expression and fusion in calvarial sutures. J Bone Miner Res 18:751–759., ,
- 411996 Increased bone formation and osteoblastic cell phenotype in premature cranial suture ossification (craniosynostosis). J Bone Miner Res 11:401–407., , ,
- 421995 Cranial sutures require tissue interactions with dura-mater to resist osseous obliteration in vitro. J Bone Miner Res 10:1978–1987., , , ,