Dr Black serves as a consultant for Merck & Co., Inc., Novartis, and NPS Pharmaceuticals. In addition, he has received funding from the aforementioned companies. Dr Greenspan serves as a consultant for Eli Lilly and Company and Merck & Co., Inc. She has received grant money from Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Inc., and Procter & Gamble. Dr Rosen has received grants from Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Inc., and Novartis.
Vignettes in Osteoporosis: A Road Map to Successful Therapeutics†
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 3–10, January 2004
How to Cite
Rosen, C. J., Black, D. M. and Greenspan, S. L. (2004), Vignettes in Osteoporosis: A Road Map to Successful Therapeutics. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 3–10. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.0301216
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 3 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 2003
- 1Screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: Recommendations and rationale. Ann Intern Med 137:526–528.
- 21999 Classification of osteoporosis and osteopenia in postmenopausal women is dependent on site-specific analysis. J Clin Densitom 2:526–528 275–283., , ,
- 32002 Summary of meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis and the relationship between bone density and fractures. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 31:659–679., , , , , ,
- 42002 Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. IX: Summary of meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 23:570–578., , , , ,
- 52003 Estrogen plus progestin and the incidence of dementia and mild cognitive impairment in postmenopausal women. The Women's Health Initiative Memory Study: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 289:2651–2662., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 62002 Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy: Scientific review. JAMA 288:872–881., , , ,
- 72002 Assessing benefits and harms of hormone replacement therapy: Clinical applications. JAMA 288:882–884.
- 81999 The effect of low-dose continuous estrogen and progesterone therapy with calcium and vitamin D on bone in elderly women. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 130:897–904., , ,
- 91995 Estrogen replacement therapy and fractures in older women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Ann Intern Med 122:9–16., , , , ,
- 102002 Efficacy of raloxifene on vertebral fracture risk reduction in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: Four-year results from a randomized clinical trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3609–3617., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 111997 The predictive value of biochemical markers of bone turnover for bone mineral density in early postmenopausal women treated with hormone replacement or calcium supplementation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1904–1910., ,
- 122002 Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: Principal results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288:321–333., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 131994 The diagnosis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 9:1137–1141., , , ,
- 142002 A new approach to the development of assessment guidelines for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 13:527–536., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 151994 Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis: Synopsis of a WHO report. WHO Study Group. Osteoporos Int 4:368–381.
- 162002 Yield of laboratory testing to identify secondary contributors to osteoporosis in otherwise healthy women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4431–4437., , , , , ,
- 17Anonymous 1998 Physician's Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis. pp. 1–38.
- 18Anonymous 2000 NIH consensus declares osteoporosis a major public health issue. Osteoporos Rep 16:1.
- 192002 Significant differential effects of alendronate, estrogen, or combination therapy on the rate of bone loss after discontinuation of treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 137:875–883., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 20for the Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group 1996 Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Lancet 348:1535–1541., ,
- 211999 Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: A randomized controlled trial. Vertebral Efficacy With Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. JAMA 282:1344–1352., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 222001 Effect of risedronate on the risk of hip fracture in elderly women. Hip Intervention Program Study Group. N Engl J Med 344:333–340., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 231999 Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with raloxifene. JAMA 282:637–645., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 241998 Pathogenesis and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Drugs Aging 12:477–484.,
- 25American College of Rheumatology 2001 Recommendations for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: 2001 update. Arthritis Rheum 44:1496–1503.
- 262002 Long-term fracture risk in patients with Crohn's disease: A population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Gastroenterology 123:468–475., , , , ,
- 272002 High prevalence of osteoporotic vertebral fractures in patients with Crohn's disease. Gut 51:654–658., , , , , , , ,
- 281994 Glucocorticoids and osteoporosis. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 23:641–654.,
- 292000 Effects of risedronate treatment on bone density and vertebral fracture in patients on corticosteroid therapy. Calcif Tissue Int 67:277–285., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 302000 Bisphosphonates in the treatment of osteoporosis. Principles and efficacy. Ann Med Interne (Paris) 151:504–510.
- 311995 Etidronate in the management of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Am J Med 99:233–234.
- 322001 Two-year effects of alendronate on bone mineral density and vertebral fracture in patients receiving glucocorticoids: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled extension trial. Arthritis Rheum 44:202–211., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 332000 Alendronate for the treatment of osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med 343:604–610., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 341998 Parathyroid hormone treatment can reverse corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. Results of a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Clin Invest 102:1627–1633., , , , ,
- 352000 Bone mass continues to increase at the hip after parathyroid hormone treatment is discontinued in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: Results of a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res 15:944–951., , , , ,
- 362000 Fracture risk reduction with alendronate in women with osteoporosis: The Fracture Intervention Trial. FIT Research Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:4118–4124., , , , , , , ,
- 372000 Monitoring osteoporosis therapy with bone densitometry: Misleading changes and regression to the mean. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. JAMA 283:1318–1321., , , , , , , ,
- 382003 Load shift of the intervertebral disc after a vertebroplasty: A finite-element study. Eur Spine J 12:421–426., , ,
- 392003 Midterm outcome after vertebroplasty: Predictive value of technical and patient-related factors. Radiology 227:662–668., ,
- 402003 Percutaneous vertebroplasty: Treatment of painful vertebral compression fractures with intraosseous vacuum phenomena. Am J Roentgenol 180:1411–1417., , ,
- 412003 Biomechanical evaluation of kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty with calcium phosphate cement in a simulated osteoporotic compression fracture. J Orthop Sci 8:192–197., , ,
- 422003 Is percutaneous vertebral augmentation (vertebroplasty) effective treatment for painful vertebral fractures? Am J Med 114:326–328.
- 432001 Parathyroid hormone added to established hormone therapy: Effects on vertebral fracture and maintenance of bone mass after parathyroid hormone withdrawal. J Bone Miner Res 16:925–931., , , , , ,
- 441998 Prevention of estrogen deficiency-related bone loss with human parathyroid hormone-(1–34): A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 280:1067–1073., , , , ,
- 452002 Anabolic action of parathyroid hormone is skeletal site specific at the tissue and cellular levels in mice. J Bone Miner Res 17:808–816., , , , , , ,
- 462000 Enhancement of bone mass in osteoporotic women with parathyroid hormone followed by alendronate. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:2129–2134., , , , , ,
- 472001 Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344:1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 482002 Effects of parathyroid hormone, alendronate, or both on bone density in osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 17:S1;S135., , ,
- 492003 The effects of PTH and alendronate alone or in combination in post-menopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 349:1207–1215., , , , , , , , ,
- 501994 A multifactorial intervention to reduce the risk of falling among elderly people living in the community. N Engl J Med 331:821–827., , , , , , , ,
- 512001 Vitamin D deficiency and secondary hyperparathyroidism in the elderly: Consequences for bone loss and fractures and therapeutic implications. Endocr Rev 22:477–501.
- 522003 Effect of four monthly oral vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) supplementation on fractures and mortality in men and women living in the community: Randomised double blind controlled trial. BMJ 326:469., ,
- 531993 Effect of external hip protectors on hip fractures. Lancet 341:11–13., ,
- 542002 The Cochrane Musculoskeletal Injuries Group. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 73:15–19., , ,
- 552001 Systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and methodology. J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1433–1435., , , , ,
- 562000 Epidemiology of fractures and assessment of fracture risk. Clin Lab Med 20:439–453.,
- 571992 Incidence of clinically diagnosed vertebral fractures: A population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1985–1989. J Bone Miner Res 7:221–227., , ,