The authors have no conflict of interest.
Oxysterols Regulate Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Pro-Bone and Anti-Fat†
Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 830–840, May 2004
How to Cite
Kha, H. T., Basseri, B., Shouhed, D., Richardson, J., Tetradis, S., Hahn, T. J. and Parhami, F. (2004), Oxysterols Regulate Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Pro-Bone and Anti-Fat. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 830–840. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.040115
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 26 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 15 SEP 2003
- 11997 Marrow stromal cells as stem cells for nonhematopoietic tissues. Science 276:71–74.
- 21994 The mesengenic process. Clin Plast Surg 21:429–435.
- 31997 Osteoblast precursor cells are found in CD34+ cells from human bone marrow. Stem Cells 15:368–377., , , , ,
- 41997 Characterization of human bone marrow stromal cells with respect to osteoblastic differentiation. J Orthop Res 15:546–557., , , ,
- 51999 Mesenchymal stem cells: No longer second class marrow citizens. Nat Med 5:262–264.
- 62001 Mesenchymal stem cells: Building blocks for molecular medicine in the 21st century. Trends Mol Med 7:259–264.,
- 71999 Transplantability and therapeutic effects of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cells in children with osteogenesis imperfecta. Nat Med 5:309–313., , , , , , , , , ,
- 81998 Marrow stromal cells as a source of progenitor cells for nonhematopoietic tissues in transgenic mice with a phenotype of osteogenesis imperfecta. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95:1142–1147., , , , , , , ,
- 92002 Bone tissue-engineered implants using human bone marrow stromal cells: Effect of culture conditions and donor age. Tissue Eng 8:911–920., , , , , , , ,
- 102001 Injected mesenchymal stem cells stimulate meniscal repair and protection of articular cartilage. Trans Orthop Res Soc 26:193.
- 111998 Regional gene therapy with a BMP-2 producing murine stromal cell line induced heterotopic and orthotopic bone formation in rodents. J Orthop Res 16:330–339., , , , , ,
- 121995 Bone progenitor cell deficits and the age-associated decline in bone repair capacity. Calcif Tissue Int 56:123–129., ,
- 131996 Osteocyte density changes in aging and osteoporosis. Bone 18:109–113., , ,
- 142002 Age-related bone loss: Old bone, new facts. Gerontology 48:62–71.,
- 152002 Directions of drug discovery in osteoporosis. Annu Rev Med 53:337–354.
- 162002 Therapeutic approaches to bone diseases. Science 289:1508–1514.,
- 172002 Discoveries, drugs and skeletal disorders. Nat Rev Drug Discov 1:784–796.
- 181995 Bone morphogenetic proteins, bone marrow stromal cells, and mesenchymal stem cells. Clin Orthop Relat Res 313:115–119.
- 192002 Regulatory mechanisms of osteoblast and osteoclast differentiation. Oral Dis 8:147–159.,
- 202002 The role of growth factors in the repair of bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1032–1044., ,
- 212000 Is there a therapeutic opportunity to either prevent or treat osteopenic disorders by inhibiting marrow adipogenesis? Bone 27:177–184.,
- 221971 Osteoporosis and the replacement of cell populations of the marrow by adipose tissue: A quantitative study of 84 iliac bone biopsies. Clin Orthop Relat Res 80:147–154., , ,
- 231987 Changes in trabecular bone, hematopoiesis and bone marrow vessels in aplastic anemia, primary osteoporosis, and old age: A comparative histomorphometric study. Bone 8:157–164., , , , , , , ,
- 242002 Oxysterols: Friends, foes, or just fellow passengers? Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:734–742.,
- 251999 Sterols and isoprenoids: Signaling molecules derived from the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway. Annu Rev Biochem 68:157–185.,
- 262000 Oxysterols: Modulators of cholesterol metabolism and other processes. Physiol Rev 80:361–554.
- 272000 Oxysterol biosynthetic enzymes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1529:126–135.
- 281999 Rapid hepatic metabolism of 7-ketocholesterol in vivo: Implications for dietary oxysterols. J Lipid Res 40:1846–1857., , ,
- 292002 Do oxysterols control cholesterol homeostasis? J Clin Invest 110:725–730.
- 302000 Oxysterols induce differentiation in human keratinocytes and increase Ap-1 dependent involucrin transcription. J Invest Dermatol 114:545–553., , , , , , , , ,
- 312002 Oxysterol stimulation of epidermal differentiation is mediated by liver X receptor-β in murine epidermis. J Invest Dermatol 118:25–34., , , , , , , , , ,
- 322002 Induction of monocyte differentiation and foam cell formation in vitro by 7-ketocholesterol. J Lipid Res 43:26–35., , , , , ,
- 332002 Role of the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway in osteoblastic differentiation of marrow stromal cells. J Bone Miner Res 17:1997–2003., , , , ,
- 341999 Atherogenic diet and minimally oxidized low density lipoprotein inhibit osteogenic and promote adipogenic differentiation of marrow stromal cells. J Bone Miner Res 14:2067–2078., , , , , ,
- 351997 Lipid oxidation products have opposite effects on calcifying vascular cell and bone cell differentiation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:680–687., , , , , , ,
- 361986 Isolation of the human gene for bone gla protein utilizing mouse and rat cDNA clones. EMBO J 5:1885–1890., , , , ,
- 371994 Induction of rapid osteoblast differentiation in rat bone marrow stromal cell cultures by dexamethasone and BMP-2. Dev Biol 161:218–228., , , ,
- 381998 Development and characterization of conditionally immortalized osteoblast precursor cell lines from human bone marrow stroma. J Bone Miner Res 13:205–217., , , , ,
- 391993 Molecular mechanisms mediating proliferation/differentiation interrelationships during progressive development of the osteoblast phenotype. Endocr Rev 14:424–442.,
- 402002 Matrix GLA protein, a regulatory protein for bone morphogenetic protein-2. J Biol Chem 277:4388–4394., ,
- 411994 Stimulation of adipogenesis in fibroblasts by PPAR gamma 2, a lipid-activated transcription factor. Cell 79:1147–1156., ,
- 422002 Cyclooxygenase-2 regulates mesenchymal cell differentiation into the osteoblast lineage and is critically involved in bone repair. J Clin Invest 109:1405–1415., , , , ,
- 432002 Bone morphogenetic protein 2 induces cyclo-oxygenase 2 in osteoblasts via a Cbfa1 binding site: Role in effects of bone morphogenetic protein 2 in vitro and in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 17:1430–1440., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 442002 Cyclo-oxygenase 2 function is essential for bone fracture healing. J Bone Miner Res 17:963–976., ,
- 452000 Adult human mesenchymal cell differentiation to the osteogenic or adipogenic lineage is regulated by mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 275:9645–9652., , , , ,
- 462002 The bone-specific transcriptional regulator Cbfa1 is a target of mechanical signals in osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 277:23934–23941., , , , , ,
- 471998 The LXRs: A new class of oxysterol receptors. Curr Opin Genet Dev 8:571–575., ,
- 482002 BAREing it all: The adoption of LXR and FXR and their roles in lipid metabolism. J Lipid Res 43:2–12., ,
- 491997 Mitogen-activated protein kinase activation is not necessary for, but antagonizes, 3T3-L1 adiopocytic differentiation. Mol Cell Biol 17:6068–6075., , ,
- 502001 Regulation of adipogenesis by a transcriptional repressor that modulates MAPK activation. J Biol Chem 276:10199–10206., , ,
- 512002 Deregulated MAPK activity prevents adipocyte differentiation of fibroblasts lacking the retinoblastoma protein. J Biol Chem 277:26335–26339., , ,
- 521993 Prostaglandins: Mechanisms of action and regulation of production in bone. Osteoporos Int 3(Suppl 1):136–140., ,
- 532002 Phospholipase A2 regulation of arachidonic acid metabolism. FEBS Lett 531:2–6., ,
- 542001 Mammalian phospholipases A2: Mediators of inflammation, proliferation and apoptosis. Prog Lipid Res 40:167–197.,
- 551989 Mechanism of the activation of arachidonic acid release by oxysterols in NRK 49F cells: Role of calcium. Cell Signal 1:569–576., , , ,
- 561991 Oxysterol activation of arachidonic acid release and prostaglandin E2 biosynthesis in NRK 49F cells is partially dependent on protein kinase C activity. Cell Signal 3:559–567., , , ,
- 571997 25-Hydroxycholesterol enhances eicosanoid production in cultured bovine coronary artery endothelial cells by increasing prostaglandin G/H synthase-2. Biochim Biophys Acta 1345:109–120.,
- 582001 Erk is essential for growth, differentiation, integrin expression, and cell function in human osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 276:14443–14450., , , , , ,
- 591997 Lipids closely associated with bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) and induced heterotopic bone formation. Connect Tissue Res 36:9–20., , , , , ,
- 601979 A temporal study of collagen, proteoglycan, lipid and mineral constituents in a model of endochondral osseous repair. Metab Bone Dis Relat Res 1:319–324., , , ,
- 612003 Mesenchymal progenitor self-renewal deficiency leads to age-dependent osteoporosis in Sca-1/Ly-6A null mice. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 13:5840–5845., , , , ,
- 622002 Prevention of senile osteoporosis in SAMP6 mice by intrabone marrow injection of allogeneic bone marrow cells. Stem Cells 20:542–551., , , , , , , ,
- 632002 Age-related osteoporosis in biglycan-deficient mice is related to defects in bone marrow stromal cells. J Bone Miner Res 17:331–340., , , ,
- 642002 Adipogenesis and aging: Does aging make fat go MAD? Exp Gerontol 37:757–767., , , ,