Interim data presented previously in abstract form at the 24th Annual Meeting of the American Soceity for Bone and Mineral Research, San Antonio, Texas, USA, September 20-24, 2002, and the 25th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, September 19-23, 2003. Dr Ettinger has received grants from Merck and has received grants and served as a consultant for Berlex, Eli Lilly and Company, and Procter & Gamble. Drs San Martin, Crans, and Pavo are employees of Eli Lilly and Company.
Differential Effects of Teriparatide on BMD After Treatment With Raloxifene or Alendronate†
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 745–751, May 2004
How to Cite
Ettinger, B., Martin, S. J., Crans, G. and Pavo, I. (2004), Differential Effects of Teriparatide on BMD After Treatment With Raloxifene or Alendronate. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 745–751. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.040117
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 2 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 15 OCT 2003
- 12001 Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344:1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 21997 Randomized controlled study of effect of parathyroid hormone on vertebral-bone mass and fracture incidence among postmenopausal women on oestrogen with osteoporosis. Lancet 350:550–555., , , , , , ,
- 32001 Parathyroid hormone added to established hormone therapy: Effects on vertebral fracture and maintenance of bone mass after parathyroid hormone withdrawal. J Bone Miner Res 16:925–931., , , , , ,
- 42001 Effects of daily treatment with parathyroid hormone on bone microarchitecture and turnover in patients with osteoporosis: A paired biopsy study. J Bone Miner Res 16:1846–1853., , , , , , , , , ,
- 51998 Parathyroid hormone treatment can reverse corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. Results of a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Clin Invest 102:1627–1633., , , , ,
- 61998 Alendronate does not block the anabolic effect of PTH in postmenopausal osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 13:1051–1055., , , ,
- 72003 The effects of parathyroid hormone and alendronate alone or in combination in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 349:1207–1215., , , , , , , , ,
- 82003 The effects of parathyroid hormone, alendronate, or both in men with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 349:1216–1226., , , , ,
- 9IMS Health 2002 National prescriptions audit. Available online at http://imshealth.com.
- 101997 Histomorphometric assessment of the long-term effects of alendronate on bone quality and remodeling in patients with osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 100:1475–1480., , , , ,
- 111999 Pharmacokinetics of alendronate. Clin Pharmacokinet 36:315–328., ,
- 122000 Skeletal benefits of alendronate: 7-year treatment of postmenopausal osteoporotic women. Phase III Osteoporosis Treatment Study Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3109–3115., , , , , , , , , ,
- 132003 Differential effects of teriparatide and alendronate on markers of bone remodeling and areal and volumetric bone density in women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 18:S2;S40., , , , , , , ,
- 142003 New bone formation with teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone-(1–34)] is not retarded by long-term pretreatment with alendronate, estrogen, or raloxifene in ovariectomized rats. Endocrinology 144:2008–2015., , , , , , , ,
- 151999 Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with raloxifene: Results from a 3-year randomized clinical trial. Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Investigators. JAMA 282:637–645., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 161999 Increased bone formation by prevention of osteoblast apoptosis with parathyroid hormone. J Clin Invest 104:439–446., , , , ,
- 171995 Evidence that intermittent treatment with parathyroid hormone increases bone formation in adult rats by activation of bone lining cells. Endocrinology 136:3632–3638.,
- 181995 In vivo, human parathyroid hormone fragment (hPTH 1–34) transiently stimulates immediate early response gene expression, but not proliferation, in trabecular bone cells of young rats. Bone 17:479–484., , , ,
- 192002 Bone histomorphometric and biochemical marker results of a 2-year placebo-controlled trial of raloxifene in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 17:341–348., , , ,
- 201998 Prevention of estrogen deficiency-related bone loss with human parathyroid hormone (1–34): A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 280:1067–1073., , , , ,
- 212003 Efficacy and safety of human parathyroid hormone-(1–84) in increasing bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5212–5220., , , , , ,
- 221983 The physiological and clinical significance of bone histomorphometric data. In: ReckerR (ed.) Bone Histomorphometry: Techniques and Interpretations. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, pp. 143–223.
- 232000 Alendronate increases bone strength by increasing the mean degree of mineralization of bone tissue in osteoporotic women. Bone 27:687–694., , , ,
- 242000 Enhancement of bone mass in osteoporotic women with parathyroid hormone followed by alendronate. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:2129–2134., , , , , ,
- 251980 Morphologic basis of bone mineral measurements: Transient and steady state effects of treatment in osteoporosis. Miner Electrolyte Metab 4:273–287.
- 261989 Some effects of basic multicellular unit-based remodelling on photon absorptiometry of trabecular bone. Bone Miner 7:47–65.
- 272003 The skeletal response to teriparatide is largely independent of age, initial bone mineral density, and prevalent vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 18:18–23., , ,