The authors have no conflict of interest.
Population-Based Study of Age and Sex Differences in Bone Volumetric Density, Size, Geometry, and Structure at Different Skeletal Sites†
Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 12, pages 1945–1954, December 2004
How to Cite
Riggs, B. L., Melton, L. J., Robb, R. A., Camp, J. J., Atkinson, E. J., Peterson, J. M., Rouleau, P. A., McCollough, C. H., Bouxsein, M. L. and Khosla, S. (2004), Population-Based Study of Age and Sex Differences in Bone Volumetric Density, Size, Geometry, and Structure at Different Skeletal Sites. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 1945–1954. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.040916
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAY 2004
- 1Anonymous 2000 Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. NIH Consens State Sci Statements 17: 1–45.
- 21991 Measurement of bone mineral density: Current status. Am J Med 91: 49S–53S., ,
- 31997 From density to structure: Growing up and growing old on the surfaces of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12: 509–521.
- 41992 New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. J Bone Miner Res 7: 137–145., ,
- 52001 Biomechanics of age-related fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis, 2nd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 509–531.
- 61990 Predicting femoral neck strength from bone mineral data: A structural approach. Invest Radiol 25: 6–18., , , , ,
- 72000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of the third national health and nutrition examination survey dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry data. J Bone Miner Res 15: 2297–2304., , , ,
- 82003 Structural and biomechanical basis of sexual dimorphism in femoral neck fragility has its origins in growth and aging. J Bone Miner Res 18: 1766–1774., , ,
- 92004 Contributions of bone density and structure to fracture risk assessment in men and women. Osteoporos Int (in press), , , , , ,
- 101995 Epidemiology of fractures. In: RiggsBL, MeltonLJ III (eds.) Osteoporosis: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 225–247.
- 111996 History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project. Mayo Clin Proc 71: 266–274.
- 121988 Quantitative CT for determination of bone mineral density: A review. Radiology 166: 509–522.
- 131995 The European Spine Phantom—a tool for standardiztion and quality control in spinal bone mineral measurements by DXA and QCT. Eur J Radiol 20: 83–92., , , , ,
- 142004 A system for the analysis of whole-bone strength from helical CT images. Proc SPIE 5369: 74–88., , , , , , ,
- 151994 The use of peripheral QCT in the evaluation of bone remodeling. Endocrinologist 4: 167–174.
- 161994 Modern Applied Statistics with S-Plus. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA.,
- 171999 Assessment of vertebral bone mineral density using volumetric quantitative CT. J Comput Assist Tomogr 23: 130–137., , ,
- 181993 The relationship of trabecular and cortical bone mineral density to spinal fractures. Invest Radiol 28: 573–580., , , ,
- 191991 Differential effects of aging and disease on trabecular and compact bone density of the radius. Bone 12: 99–105., ,
- 201984 Marked disparity between trabecular and cortical bone loss with age in healthy men. Ann Intern Med 101: 605–612., ,
- 211999 Bone density reduction in various measurement sites in men and women with osteoporotic fractures of spine and hip: The European Quantitation of Osteoporosis Study. Calcif Tissue Int 64: 191–199., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 221999 Normal changes in spinal bone mineral density in a Chinese population: Assessment by quantitative computed tomography and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Osteoporos Int 9: 179–187., , , , , , ,
- 232001 A comparison of spinal quantitative computed tomography with dual energy x-ray absorptiometry in European women with vertebral and nonvertebral fractures. Calcif Tissue Int 68: 74–82., , , , ,
- 241989 Reference values for trabecular and cortical vertebral bone density in single and dual-energy quantitative computed tomography. Eur J Radiol 9: 75–80., , , , , ,
- 252003 Accuracy of CT-based thickness measurement of thin structures: Modeling of limited spatial resolution in all three dimensions. Med Phys 30: 1–8.
- 262000 Age-related changes assessed by peripheral QCT in healthy Italian women. Eur Radiol 10: 609–614., , , , , ,
- 271994 Gender differences in vertebral body sizes in children and adolescents. Radiology 190: 673–677., , , , ,
- 281983 Relationships between surface, volume, and thickness of iliac trabecular bone in aging and in osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 72: 1396–1409., , , , ,
- 291995 Temporal changes in cancellous bone structure immediately after ovariectomy. Bone 16: 157–161., , , ,
- 301976 Long-term prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis by oestrogen. Lancet 1: 1038–1040., , , , ,
- 311960 Age changes in human bone. Clin Orthop 17: 210–218.
- 321994 The bone-remodeling transient: Implications for the interpretation of clinical studies of bone mass change. J Bone Miner Res 9: 1515–1523.
- 331996 A new model for the regulation of bone resorption, with particular reference to the effects of bisphosphonates. J Bone Miner Res 11: 150–159., , , ,
- 341982 Quantitative computed tomography of vertebral spongiosa: A sensitive method for detecting early bone loss after oophorectomy. Ann Intern Med 97: 699–705., , ,
- 352001 The biomechanical basis of vertebral body fragility in men and women. J Bone Miner Res 16: 2276–2283., ,
- 361988 Sex differences in age-related remodeling of the femur and tibia. J Orthop Res 6: 886–896.,
- 372003 Aging bone in men and women: Beyond changes in bone mineral density. Osteoporos Int 14: 531–538., , , , , , , ,
- 381997 Age-related cortical bone loss at the metacarpal. Calcif Tissue Int 60: 94–97., , , , , , , ,
- 391972 The course of bone gain and the phases of bone loss. Orthop Clin North Am 3: 503–520.
- 401986 Rates of bone loss in the appendicular and axial skeletons of women: Evidence of substantial vertebral bone loss before menopause. J Clin Invest 77: 1487–1491., , , , ,
- 412002 Sex steroids and the construction and conservation of the adult skeleton. Endocr Rev 23: 279–302., ,
- 421998 Relationship of serum sex steroid levels and bone turnover markers with bone mineral density in men and women: A key role for bioavailable estrogen. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83: 2266–2274., , , , ,
- 432002 Estrogen and the male skeleton. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 1443–1450., ,
- 441990 Spinal bone loss and ovulatory disturbances. N Engl J Med 323: 1221–1227., , ,
- 451996 Sex steroids, bone mass and bone loss. A prospective study of pre-, peri-, and postmenopausal women. J Clin Invest 97: 14–21., , , ,
- 462003 Longitudinal association between sex hormone levels, bone loss, and bone turnover in elderly men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 5327–5333., , , , , , , , , ,
- 472000 Determinants of bone loss from the femoral neck in women of different ages. J Bone Miner Res 15: 24–31., , , ,
- 481989 Impact of marrow fat on accuracy of quantitative CT. J Comput Assist Tomogr 13: 1023–1035.,
- 491990 Lateral dual-photon absorptiometry: A new technique to measure the bone mineral density at the lumbar spine. J Bone Miner Res 5: 525–531., , ,
- 501970 Quantitative structural analysis of human cancellous bone. Acta Anat 75: 54–66.,