Drs Burge and King are employees of Procter & Gamble. Dr Tosteson has served as a consultant to Procter & Gamble and Amgen. All other authors state that they have no conflicts of interest.
Incidence and Economic Burden of Osteoporosis-Related Fractures in the United States, 2005–2025†
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2006
Copyright © 2007 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 465–475, March 2007
How to Cite
Burge, R., Dawson-Hughes, B., Solomon, D. H., Wong, J. B., King, A. and Tosteson, A. (2007), Incidence and Economic Burden of Osteoporosis-Related Fractures in the United States, 2005–2025. J Bone Miner Res, 22: 465–475. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.061113
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2006
- 2National Osteoporosis Foundation 2002 America's Bone Health: The State of Osteoporosis and Low Bone Mass in Our Nation. Washington, DC: National Osteoporosis Foundation.
- 51996 Population Projections of the United States by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 1995 to 2050. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 101984. Frequency of Occurence, Impact and Cost of Selected Musculoskeletal Conditions in the United States. Chicago, IL: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons., , ,
- 122002 Short-term cost-effectiveness of bisphosphonate therapies for post-menopausal osteoporotic women at high risk of fracture. Pharma Therap 27: 448–455., , ,
- 16Nationwide Inpatient Sample 2001 Release 10, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- 172004 United States life tables, 2001. Natl Vital Stat Rep 52: 1–38.
- 18National Center for Health Statistics 1998 U.S. Decennial Life Tables for 1989-91, vol II. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.
- 19U.S. Census Bureau 2004 U.S. interim projections by age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin 2000-2050. Available at http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/usinterimproj/. Accessed November 28, 2005.
- 21U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2004 Bone Health and Osteoporosis: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General.
- 22Osteoporosis 1998 Review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and cost-effectiveness analysis. Osteoporos Int 8: S7–S80.
- 23U.S. Congress Office of Technical Assistance 1994 Hip fracture outcomes in people age fifty and over. Washington, DC: U.S. Congress Office of Technical Assistance.
- 252004 Recent trends in state nursing home payment policies. Health Aff (Millwood) W4: 363–373., , ,
- 36U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment. 1994 Hip Fracture Outcomes in People Age 50 and Over—Background Paper. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.