Clinical risk factors for osteoporotic fracture: A population-based prospective cohort study in Korea
Version of Record online: 14 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 369–378, February 2010
How to Cite
Lee, S. H., Khang, Y.-H., Lim, K.-H., Kim, B.-J., Koh, J.-M., Kim, G. S., Kim, H. and Cho, N. H. (2010), Clinical risk factors for osteoporotic fracture: A population-based prospective cohort study in Korea. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 369–378. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.090722
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 4 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2009
- 1NIH Consensus Development Panel on Osteoporosis Prevention, Diagnosis, and Therapy. Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. JAMA. 2001; 285: 785–795.
- 2World Health Organization. Assessment of Fracture Risk and Its Application to Screening for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1994.
- 3World Health Organization. WHO Scientific Group on the Assessment of Osteoporosis at the Primary Health Care Level. Brussela: World Health Organization, 2007. Available at: www.who.int/chp/topics/Osteoporosis.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2008.
- 4Ten-year risk of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal Chinese women according to clinical risk factors and BMD T-scores: a prospective study. J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 1080–1087., , , , .
- 5Assessment of the 10-year probability of osteoporotic hip fracture combining clinical risk factors and heel bone ultrasound: the EPISEM prospective cohort of 12,958 elderly women. J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 1045–1051., , , , , .
- 6An assessment of the use of quantitative ultrasound and the Osteoporosis Self-Assessment Tool for Asians in determining the risk of nonvertebral fracture in postmenopausal Chinese women. J Bone Miner Metab 2008; 26: 60–65., , , , , .
- 7An in vitro study of the ultrasonic axial transmission technique at the radius: 1-MHz velocity measurements are sensitive to both mineralization and intracortical porosity. J Bone Miner Res. 2004; 19: 1548–1556., , , , , .
- 8Does combining the results from multiple bone sites measured by a new quantitative ultrasound device improve discrimination of hip fracture? J Bone Miner Res. 1999; 14: 644–651., , , et al.
- 9Multisite quantitative ultrasound: Colles' fracture discrimination in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2002; 13: 474–479., , , , .
- 10A new approach to the development of assessment guidelines for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2002; 13: 527–536., , , et al.
- 11Assessment of fracture risk. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 581–589., , , et al.
- 12Osteoporosis and fracture risk in women of different ethnic groups. J Bone Miner Res. 2005; 20: 185–194., , , et al.
- 13Prevalence and correlates of orthostatic hypotension in middle-aged men and women in Korea: the Korean Health and Genome Study. J Hum Hypertens 2004; 18: 717–723., , , , .
- 14Abnormal liver function test predicts type 2 diabetes: a community-based prospective study. Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 2566–2568., , , et al.
- 15Serum gamma-glutamyltransferase within its normal concentration range is related to the presence of diabetes and cardiovascular risk factors. Diabetes Med. 2005; 22: 1134–11340., , , et al.
- 16A rural-urban comparison of the characteristics of the metabolic syndrome by gender in Korea: the Korean Health and Genome Study (KHGS). J Endocrinol Invest. 2006; 29: 313–319., , , , , .
- 17C-reactive protein level as an independent risk factor of metabolic syndrome in the Korean population: CRP as risk factor of metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005; 70: 126–133., , , , , .
- 18World Health Organization Western Pacific Region, International Association for the Study of Obesity, International Obesity Task Force. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and Its Treatment. 2000. Available at: www.diabetes.com.au/pdf/obesity_report.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2008.
- 19Contribution of vertebral deformities to chronic back pain and disability: the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. J Bone Miner Res. 1992; 7: 449–456., , , et al.
- 20Outcome variables in osteoporosis trials. Bone. 1992; 13: S29–S34., , , .
- 21Accuracy of height loss during prospective monitoring for detection of incident vertebral fractures. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 403–410., , , et al.
- 22Waist and hip circumferences have independent and opposite effects on cardiovascular disease risk factors: the Quebec Family Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 74: 315–321., , , .
- 23Pelvic body composition measurements by quantitative computed tomography: association with recent hip fracture. Bone. 2008; 42: 798–805., , , et al.
- 24Comparing non-vertebral fracture risk reduction with osteoporosis therapies: looking beneath the surface. Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 675–686..
- 25Knee pain, knee osteoarthritis, and the risk of fracture. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 55: 610–615., , , et al.
- 26Osteoarthritis of the knee is associated with vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in the elderly: the Rotterdam Study. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 49: 648–657., , , et al.
- 27Body mass index as a predictor of fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 1330–1338., , , et al.
- 28Physical activity and osteoporotic fracture risk in older women: study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Ann Intern Med. 1998; 129: 81–88., , , , .
- 29Alcohol intake as a risk factor for fracture. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 737–742., , , et al.
- 30A meta-analysis of previous fracture and subsequent fracture risk. Bone. 2004; 35: 375–382., , , et al.
- 31Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: a summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res. 2000; 15: 721–739., , , , .
- 32A family history of fracture and fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Bone. 2004; 35: 1029–1037., , , et al.
- 33A meta-analysis of prior corticosteroid use and fracture risk. J Bone Miner Res. 2004; 19: 893–899., , , et al.
- 34Smoking and fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 155–162., , , et al.
- 35Evaluation of spinal curvatures after a recent osteoporotic vertebral fracture. Joint Bone Spine 2002; 69: 201–208., , , et al.
- 36Relationship between bone quantitative ultrasound and fractures: a meta-analysis. J Bone Miner Res. 2006; 21: 1126–1135., , , , .
- 37Prediction and discrimination of osteoporotic hip fracture in postmenopausal women. J Clin Densitom 2006; 9: 475–495., , , .
- 38Ultrasonographic heel measurements to predict hip fracture in elderly women: the EPIDOS prospective study. Lancet 1996; 348: 511–514., , , et al.
- 39Multisite quantitative ultrasound: precision, age- and menopause-related changes, fracture discrimination, and T-score equivalence with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Osteoporos Int. 2001; 12: 456–464., , , .
- 40Bone mineral density-independent association of quantitative ultrasound measurements and fracture risk in women. Osteoporos Int. 2004; 15: 942–947., , .
- 41Incidence and outcome of osteoporotic fractures in 2004 in Sado City, Niigata Prefecture, Japan. J Bone Miner Metab 2008; 26: 373–378., , , et al.