Bone mass and strength in older men with type 2 diabetes: The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study
Version of Record online: 11 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 285–291, February 2010
How to Cite
Petit, M. A., Paudel, M. L., Taylor, B. C., Hughes, J. M., Strotmeyer, E. S., Schwartz, A. V., Cauley, J. A., Zmuda, J. M., Hoffman, A. R. and Ensrud, K. E. (2010), Bone mass and strength in older men with type 2 diabetes: The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 285–291. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.090725
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 13 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Received: 16 SEP 2008
- 1Women, type 2 diabetes, and fracture risk. Curr Diab Rep. 2004; 4: 364–369., .
- 2Older women with diabetes have an increased risk of fracture: a prospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 24: 1192–1197., , , et al.
- 3Discrepencies in bone mineral density and fracture risk in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2007; 18: 427–444..
- 4Diabetes mellitus, bone mineral density, and fracture risk. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2007; 14: 429–435., .
- 5Osteoporosis among patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab. [Epub ahead of print], 2008., , , .
- 6Epidemiology, trends and morbidities of obesity and metabolic syndrome. Endocrine 2006; 29: 109–117., .
- 7Bone loss and bone turnover in diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1995; 44: 775–782., , , , , .
- 8Osteopenia associated with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: what are the causes? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1994; 23: 43–54., , , , .
- 9Diabetes mellitus: does it affect bone? Calcif Tissue Int. 2003; 73: 515–519..
- 10Skeletal changes in type 2 diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rats. J Endocrinol 2003; 178: 111–116., , , , .
- 11On measuring bone to predict osteoporotic fracture: moving beyond statistical inference. Radiology 1996; 199: 612–614..
- 12Role of collagen enzymatic and gycation-induced cross-slinks as a determinant of bone quality in spontaneously diabetic WBN/Kob rats. Ostoporos Int. 2006; 17: 1514–1523., , , .
- 13Revival of bone strength: the bottom line. J Bone Miner Res. 2005; 20: 717–720., , , .
- 14Examining the developing bone: what do we measure and how do we do it? J Musculoskel Neuron Interact 2005; 5: 213–224., , .
- 15Mechanical validation of a tomographic (pQCT) index for noninvasive. Bone. 1996; 18: 97–102., , .
- 16Type 2 diabetes is not independently associated with spinal trabecular volumetric bone mineral density measured by QCT in the Diabetes Heart Study. Bone. 2006; 39: 312–319., , , et al.
- 17Diabetes is associated independently of body composition with BMD and bone volume in older while and black men and women: the Health, Agining, and Body Composition Study. J Bone Miner Res. 2004; 19: 1084–1091., , , et al.
- 18Peripheral quantitative computed tomography for the detection of diabetic ostopathy: a study in the Goto-Kakizaki rat. Invest Radiol. 2003; 38: 171–176., , , .
- 19Design and baseline characteristics of the osteoporotic fractures in men (MrOS) study: a large observational study of the determinants of fracture in older men. Contemp Clin Trials 2005; 26: 569–585., , , et al.
- 20Overview of recruitment for the osteoporotic fractures in men study (MrOS). Contemp Clin Trials 2005; 26: 557–568., , , et al.
- 21Factors associated with the lumbar spine and proximal femur bone mineral density in older men. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 1525–1537., , , et al.
- 22Accuracy of the Jamar dynamometer. J Hand Ther. 1993; 6: 259–262., , .
- 23Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly (PASE): the relationship with activity measured by a portable accelerometer. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1999; 39: 336–340., .
- 24Higher bone mineral density in older men with diabetes and impaired fasting glucose: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study. Diabetes 2007; 56: A259., , , et al.
- 25Diabetes, fracture and bone fragility. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2007; 5: 105–111., .
- 26Older women with diabetes have a higher risk of falls: a prospective study. Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1749–1754., , , et al.
- 27Risk factors for falls in older disabled women with diabetes: the women's health and aging study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 1539–1545., , , , .
- 28Etiology and prevention of age-related hip fractures. Bone. 1996; 18: 77S–86S., , , et al.
- 29Measuring the structural strength of bones with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry: principles, technical limitations, and future possibilities. Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: S81–S88..
- 30Osteoporosis in patients with diabetes mellitus. J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 1317–1328., , , .
- 31Bone loss in diabetic patients with chronic kidney disease. Diabetes Med. 2007; 24: 91–93., , , et al.
- 32Impact of peripheral neuropathy on bone density in patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 827–831., , .
- 33Impact of increased overweight on the projected prevalence of osteoporosis in older women. Ostoporos Int. 2007; 18: 307–313., ,
- 34Proximal femur bone geometry is appropriately adapted to lean mass in overweight children and adolescents. Bone 2005; 36: 568–576., , , , , .
- 35Overweight and obese children have low bone mass and area for their weight. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000; 24: 627–632., , , , , .
- 36Does obesity really make the femur stronger? Bone mineral density, geometry and fracture incidence in the Women's Health Initiative—observational study. J Bone Miner Res. 2009. 24: 1369–1379., , , , .
- 37Role of serum leptin, insulin, and estrogen levels as potential mediators of the relationship between fat mass and bone mineral density in men versus women. Bone 2001; 29: 114–120., , , et al.
- 38Adiponectin as a novel determinant of bone mineral density and visceral fat. Bone 2003; 33: 646–651., , , et al.
- 39Expression and regulation of resistin in osteoblasts and osteoclasts indicate a role in bone metabolism. J Cell Biochem. 2006; 99: 824–834., , , et al.
- 40Designing exercise regimens to increase bone strength. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2003; 31: 45–50., .
- 41Bone biomechanical and histomorphometrical investment in type 2 diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rats. Acta Diabetol. [Epub ahead of print], 2008., , , , , , .
- 42Metformin reverts deleterious effects of advance glycation end-products (AGEs) on osteoblastic cells. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes [Epub ahead of print], 2008., , , et al.
- 43Type 2 diabetes, thiazolinediones: bad to the bone? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 3276–3278., .
- 44Skeletal consequences of thiazolidinedione therapy. Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 129–137..
- 45Renal insufficiency-induced bone loss is associated with an increase in bone size and preservation of strength in rat proximal femur. Bone 2006; 39: 353–360., , , et al.
- 46Bone stiffness in men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 2008; 57: 1691–1695., , , et al.