Prospective assessment of thoracic kyphosis in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 362–368, February 2010
How to Cite
Roux, C., Fechtenbaum, J., Kolta, S., Said-Nahal, R., Briot, K. and Benhamou, C.-L. (2010), Prospective assessment of thoracic kyphosis in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 362–368. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.090727
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 24 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2008
- 1Kyphotic posture and poor physical functional ability in older community dwelling men and women: the Rancho Bernardo Study. J Gerontol Med Sci. 2005; 60: 633–637., , , .
- 2Correlates of kyphosis in older women: the Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 682–687., , , , .
- 3Balance disorder and increased risk of falls in osteoporosis and kyphosis: significance of kyphotic posture and muscle strength. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 1004–1010., , , , .
- 4Osteoporosis-related kyphosis and impairments in pulmonary function: a systematic review. J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 447–457., , , .
- 5The presence and severity of vertebral fractures is associated with the presence of esophageal hiatal hernia in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2002; 13: 331–336., , , et al.
- 6Hyperkyphotic posture predicts mortality in older community dwelling men and women: a prospective study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 62: 1662–1667., , , , .
- 7Hyperkyphosis predicts mortality independent of vertebral osteoporosis in older women. J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18: S249., , , et al.
- 8Vertebral fractures and mortality in older women: a prospective study. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 1215–1220., , , , , .
- 9A longitudinal study of kyphosis in older people. Age Ageing. 1983; 12: 225–233., .
- 10Severe thoracic kyphosis in the older patient in the absence of vertebral fracture: association of extreme curve with age. Am J Neuroradiol. 2005; 26: 2077–2085., , , , .
- 11Mild prevalent and incident vertebral fractures are risk factors for new fractures. Osteoporos Int. 2007; 18: 1617–1624., , , , .
- 12Kyphosis does not equal vertebral fractures: the Rancho Bernard Study. J Rheumatol. 2004; 31: 747–752., , , .
- 13The relative contribution of disc and vertebral morphometry to the angle of kyphosis in asymptomatic subjects. Clin Radiol. 1996; 51: 258–262., , , , .
- 14Hyperkyphotic posture and risk of future osteoporotic fractures: the Rancho Bernardo Study. J Bone Miner Res. 2006; 21: 419–423., , , .
- 15The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fracture in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 459–468., , , et al.
- 16Strontium ranelate reduces the risk of nonvertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: Treatment of Peripheral Osteoporosis (TROPOS) study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 2816–2822., , , et al.
- 17Vertebral fracture assessment using a semiquantitative technique. J Bone Miner Res. 1991; 6: 25–34., , , .
- 18A comparison of morphometric definitions of vertebral fracture. J Bone Miner Res. 1991; 6: 25–34., , , .
- 19SF-36 Health Survey, Manual and Interpretation Guide. Boston: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center., , , et al.,
- 20Kyphosis in older women and its relation to back pain, disability and osteopenia: the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. Osteoporos Int. 1994; 4: 55–60., , , , , .
- 21The clinical utility of measured kyphosis as a predictor of the presence of vertebral deformities. Osteoporos Int. 2007; 18: 621–627., , .
- 22Identification of vertebral fractures: an update. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 717–728., , , .
- 23Visual identification of prevalent vertebral fracture: comparison between methods. Osteoporos Int. 2004; 15: 887–896., , , .
- 24Aging of the thoracic spine: distinction between wedging in osteoarthritis and fracture in osteoporosis—a cross-sectional and longitudinal study. Bone. 1994; 15: 437–442., , , , , .
- 25Strontium ranelate prevents quality of life impairment in post-menopausal women with established vertebral osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 503–510., , , et al.
- 26Effects of strontium ranelate on spinal osteoarthritis progression. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008; 67: 335–339., , , et al.
- 27The effect of alendronate on progression of spinal osteophytes and disk space narrowing. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008; 67: 1427–1430., , , , .
- 28Differences in thoracic kyphosis and in back muscle strength in women with bone loss due to osteoporosis. Spine. 2005; 30: 241–246., , .
- 29The impact of osteoporosis on quality of life: the OFELY cohort. Bone. 2002; 31: 32–36., , , , , .