Data included in this manuscript were presented in part at the 35th ECTS Congress, Barcelona, Spain, 24–28 May 2008. Abstract publication: Aspenberg P, Genant HK, Johansson T, Nino AJ, See K, Krohn K, Garcia P, Recknor CP, Einhorn TA, Dalsky GP, Lakshmanan M. Effects of teriparatide on distal radial fracture healing in postmenopausal women: a randomized double-blinded study [abstract no. Su-P417]. Calcif Tissue Int. 2008;82:S218.
Teriparatide for acceleration of fracture repair in humans: A prospective, randomized, double-blind study of 102 postmenopausal women with distal radial fractures†
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 404–414, February 2010
How to Cite
Aspenberg, P., Genant, H. K., Johansson, T., Nino, A. J., See, K., Krohn, K., García-Hernández, P. A., Recknor, C. P., Einhorn, T. A., Dalsky, G. P., Mitlak, B. H., Fierlinger, A. and Lakshmanan, M. C. (2010), Teriparatide for acceleration of fracture repair in humans: A prospective, randomized, double-blind study of 102 postmenopausal women with distal radial fractures. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 404–414. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.090731
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 2 DEC 2008
- 1Epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: S3–S7., .
- 2The socioeconomic burden of fractures: today and in the 21st century. Am J Med. 1997; 103: 20S–25S..
- 3Osteoporosis management: impact of fracture type on cost and quality of life in patients at risk for fracture I. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008; 24: 1781–1788., .
- 4Health-related quality of life in severe osteoporosis. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2007; 19: 28–30., , .
- 5New technologies for the enhancement of skeletal repair. Injury. 2007; 38: S49–S62., , .
- 6Current and future clinical applications of bone morphogenetic proteins in orthopaedic trauma surgery. Int Orthop. 2007; 31: 721–727., .
- 7Accelerated healing of distal radial fractures with the use of specific, low-intensity ultrasound: a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997; 79: 961–973., , , , .
- 8Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 for treatment of open tibial fractures: a prospective, controlled, randomized study of four hundred and fifty patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84-A: 2123–2134., , , et al.
- 9Regulation of BMP-induced transcription in cultured human bone marrow stromal cells. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 19–28., , , .
- 10Stimulation of fracture-healing with systemic intermittent parathyroid hormone treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90: S120–S127., , , , , .
- 11Enhancement of fracture healing with parathyroid hormone: preclinical studies and potential clinical applications. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2007; 16: 441–449., , , .
- 12Parathyroid hormone: a drug for orthopedic surgery? Acta Orthop Scand. 2004; 75: 654–662., .
- 13Intermittent parathyroid hormone(1-34) treatment increases callus formation and mechanical strength of healing rat fractures. J Bone Miner Res. 1999; 14: 960–968., , .
- 14Parathyroid hormone enhances fracture healing: a preliminary report. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999; 366: 258–263., , , , .
- 15Effect of intermittent administration of parathyroid hormone on fracture healing in ovariectomized rats. Iowa Orthop J. 1999; 19: 71–77., .
- 16Mechanisms for the enhancement of fracture healing in rats treated with intermittent low-dose human parathyroid hormone (1-34). J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 2038–2047., , , et al.
- 17Effects of low-dose, intermittent treatment with recombinant human parathyroid hormone(1-34) on chondrogenesis in a model of experimental fracture healing. Bone. 2005; 37: 711–719., , , , , .
- 18Strong effect of PTH(1-34) on regenerating bone: a time sequence study in rats. Acta Orthop Scand. 2000; 71: 619–624., , .
- 19Parathyroid hormone(1-34) increases the density of rat cancellous bone in a bone chamber: a dose-response study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2000; 82: 138–141., , .
- 20Increases in callus formation and mechanical strength of healing fractures in old rats treated with parathyroid hormone. Acta Orthop Scand. 2001; 72: 304–307., , , .
- 21Clinical evaluation of medicinal products for acceleration of fracture healing in patients with osteoporosis. Bone. 2008; 43: 343–347., , , et al.
- 22Quantitative and qualitative assessment of closed fracture healing using computed tomography and conventional radiography. Acad Radiol. 2003; 10: 1267–1273., , , et al.
- 23Measurement of changes in trabecular bone at fracture sites using X-ray CT and automated image registration and processing. J Orthop Res. 2004; 22: 362–367., , , et al.
- 24Patient rating of wrist pain and disability: a reliable and valid measurement tool. J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 577–586., , , , .
- 25Reliability and validity of grip and pinch strength evaluations. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1984; 9: 222–226., , , .
- 26Statistical Methods for Survival Data Analysis, 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 1992..
- 27An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Monographs on Statistics and Applied Probability. New York: Chapman & Hall; 1993., .
- 28Gatekeeping procedures with clinical trial applications. Pharm Stat. 2007; 6: 171–180., .
- 29Effects of teriparatide [recombinant human parathyroid hormone(1-34)] on cortical bone in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18: 539–543., , , et al.
- 30Effect of parathyroid hormone(1-34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1434–1441., , , et al.
- 31Early changes in biochemical markers of bone formation predict BMD response to teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2005; 20: 962–970., , , et al.
- 32Intermittent parathyroid hormone(1-34) enhances mechanical strength and density of new bone after distraction osteogenesis in rats. J Orthop Res. 2004; 22: 472–478., , , .
- 33Role of parathyroid hormone in the mechanosensitivity of fracture healing. J Orthop Res. 2007; 25: 1474–1480., , , et al.
- 34Acceleration of tibia and distal radius fracture healing in patients who smoke. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 1997; 337: 198–207., , , , , .
- 35Critical issues in translational and clinical research for the study of new technologies to enhance bone repair. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90: 43–47., , , et al.