Obesity and fractures in postmenopausal women
Version of Record online: 14 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 292–297, February 2010
How to Cite
Premaor, M. O., Pilbrow, L., Tonkin, C., Parker, R. A. and Compston, J. (2010), Obesity and fractures in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 292–297. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.091004
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 21 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUN 2009
- 1Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ. 1996; 312: 1254–1259., , .
- 2Low BMD is less predictive than reported falls for future limb fractures in women across Europe: results from the European Prospective Osteoporosis Study. Bone. 2005; 36: 387–298., , , et al.
- 3Diagnosis of osteoporosis and assessment of fracture risk. Lancet. 2002; 359: 1929–1936 ..
- 4National Osteoporosis Guideline Group: case finding for the management of osteoporosis with FRAX-assessment and intervention thresholds for the UK. Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 1395–1408., , , , , .
- 5Body mass index as a predictor of fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 1330–1338., , , et al.
- 6Identification and fracture outcomes of undiagnosed low bone mineral density in postmenopausal women: results from the National Osteoporosis Risk Assessment. JAMA. 2001; 286: 2815–2822., , , et al.
- 7Fracture incidence and association with bone mineral density in elderly men and women: the Rotterdam Study. Bone. 2004; 34: 195–202., , , et al.
- 8Hip fracture in women without osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 2787–2893., , , , .
- 9Identification of osteopenic women at high risk of fracture: the OFELY Study. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20: 1813–1819., , , , .
- 10The population burden of fractures originates in women with osteopenia, not osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int, 2006; 17: 1404–1409., , , , , .
- 11National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Final Appraisal Determination: Alendronate, Etidronate, Risedronate, Raloxifene, Strontium Ranelate and Teriparatide for the Secondary Prevention of Osteoporotic Fragility Fractures in Postmenopausal Women. London, NICE. 2008.
- 12World Health Organization Study Group. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Technical Report Series 1994; 843.
- 13Body fat distribution and risk of coronary heart disease in men and women in the European Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition in Norfolk cohort: a population-based prospective study. Circulation. 2007; 116: 2933–2943., , , et al.
- 14Department of Health. Forecasting Obesity to 2010. London: Joint Health Surveys Unit, National Centre for Social Research and Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the Royal Free and University College Medical School; 2006.
- 15Anomalies in dual energy X-ray absorptiometry measurements of total body bone mineral during weight change using Lunar, Hologic, and Norland instruments. Br J Radiol. 1999; 72: 661–669., , , .
- 16Simulated change in body fatness affects Hologic QDR 4500A whole body and central DXA bone measures. J Clin Densitometry. 2006; 9: 315–322., , , .
- 17A prospective study of discordance in diagnosis of osteoporosis using spine and proximal femur bone densitometry. Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: 13–18., , , , .
- 18The use of multiple sites for the diagnosis of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 527–534., , , et al.
- 19The influence of osteophytes and aortic calcification on spinal mineral density in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1991; 72: 1372–1374., , , .
- 20Risk factors for spinal osteoporosis in men. Am J Med. 1983; 75: 977–983., , , .
- 21Obesity as a protective factor for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Int J Obs Relat Metab Disord. 1996; 20: 1027–1032., , , , , .
- 22High bone mineral density among perimenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 1899–1906 ., , , et al.
- 23Fracture risk (FRISK) score: Geelong Osteoporosis Study. Radiology. 2006; 241: 190–196., , , , .
- 24Knee pain, knee osteoarthritis and the risk of fracture. Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 55: 610–615., , , et al.
- 25Osteoporosis and its management. BMJ. 2006; 333: 1251–1256., .
- 26Effect of four monthly oral vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) supplementation on fractures and mortality in men and women living in the community: randomized double blind controlled trial. BMJ. 2003; 326: 469., , .
- 27Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the Women's Health Initiative Randomised Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2002; 288: 321–333., , , et al.
- 28Effect of raloxifene on the risk of new vertebral fracture in postmenopausal women with osteopenia or osteoporosis: a reanalysis of the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation Trial. Bone. 2003; 33: 293–300., , , et al.
- 29The skeletal response to teriparatide is largely independent of age, initial bone mineral density and prevalent vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18: 18–23., , , .
- 30Risedronate prevents new vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women at high risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 542–549., , , et al.
- 31Ten-year fracture probability identifies women who will benefit from clodronate therapy: additional results from a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomised study. Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 811–817., , , et al.
- 32The incidence of clinically diagnosed vertebral fractures: a population based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1985–1989. J Bone Miner Res 1992; 7: 221–227., , , .
- 33Epidemiology of fractures in England and Wales. Bone. 2001; 29: 517–522., , , .
- 34World Health Organization. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. WHO Tech Rep Ser. 2000; 894.
- 35Trends in obesity among adults in England between 1993 and 2004 by age and social class and projections of prevalence to 2012. J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2009; 63: 140–146., , , , .
- 36Prospective study of diabetes mellitus and risk of hip fracture: the Nurses' Health Study. Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1573–1578., , , .
- 37Risk factors for fractures of the distal forearm and proximal humerus: the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Am J Epidemiol. 1992; 135: 477–489., , , , .
- 38Secondary osteoporosis and the risk of distal forearm fractures in men and women. Bone. 2002; 31: 119–125., , , .
- 39Distal radius fractures in older women: a 10-year follow-up study of descriptive characteristics and risk factors. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 97–103., , , , , .
- 40Systematic review of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of fracture. Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 166: 495–505., , , .
- 41Risk factors, treatment, and outcomes associated with nonunion of the midshaft humerus fracture. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2005; 14: 64–72., , .
- 42Humeral nonunion. Hand Clin. 2007; 23: 449–456., , .
- 43on behalf of the World Health Organization Scientific Group. Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health-care level. Technical report. WHO Collaborating Centre, University of Sheffield, UK; 2008.
- 44European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 399–348., , , et al.
- 45National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. 2008.
- 46on behalf of the National Osteoporosis Guideline Group (NOGG). Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men from the age of 50 years in the UK. Maturitas. 2009; 62: 105–108., , , et al.