Fat or Lean Tissue Mass: Which One Is the Major Determinant of Bone Mineral Mass in Healthy Postmenopausal Women?
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 144–151, January 1997
How to Cite
Chen, Z., Lohman, T. G., Stini, W. A., Ritenbaugh, C. and Aickin, M. (1997), Fat or Lean Tissue Mass: Which One Is the Major Determinant of Bone Mineral Mass in Healthy Postmenopausal Women?. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 144–151. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19126.96.36.199
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 1996
- Manuscript Revised: 9 AUG 1996
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 1996
- 11992 Influence of body weight on rates of change in bone density of the spine, hip, and radius in postmenopausal women Calcif Tissue Int 50: 19–23., ,
- 21994 Bone mineral density and risk factors for osteoporosis—A population-based study of 1600 perimenopausal women Calcif Tissue Int 55: 1–7., , , ,
- 31992 Body composition and bone mass in postmenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol 37: 426–431., , , ,
- 41992 Fat mass is an important determinant of whole body bone density in premenopausal women but not in men J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75: 779–782., ,
- 51992 Determinants of total body and regional bone mineral density in normal postmenopausal women—A key role for fat mass J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75: 45–51., , , , , , ,
- 61995 To what extent is bone mass determined by fat-free or fat mass? Am J Clin Nutr 61: 1110–1114., , ,
- 71973 Source of estrogen production in postmenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol Metab 36: 207–214., ,
- 81994 Total and regional body-composition changes in early postmenopausal women: Age-related or menopause-related Am J Clin Nutr 60: 843–848., , , ,
- 91976 Changes in body chemical composition with age measured by total body neutron activation Metabol Clin Exper 25: 85–95., , , , ,
- 101992 Exercise, nutrition and aging J Nutr 122(Suppl 3): 796–801.
- 111994 Determinants of the rate of bone loss in normal postmenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79: 950–945., , , ,
- 121995 Effects of resistance training on regional and total bone mineral density in premenopausal women: A randomized prospective study J Bone Miner Res 10: 1015–1024., , , , , , , , ,
- 131995 Nutrients, body composition and exercise are related to change in bone mineral density in premenopausal women J Nutr 125: 1229–1237., , , , , , , , ,
- 141959 The Analysis of Variance. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, U.S.A.
- 151971 Statistical Principles in Experimental Design. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, U.S.A.
- 16Anonymous 1994 NIH releases consensus statement on optimal calcium intake Am Fam Phys 50: 1385–1387.
- 171990 Progesterone as a bone-trophic hormone Endocrine Rev 11: 386–398.
- 181994 Ovarian hormone status, life-style factors, and markers of bone metabolism in women aged 50 years Calcif Tissue Int 54: 262–267., , ,
- 191990 Calcium intake and bone mass: A quantitative review of the evidence Calcif Tissue Int 47: 194–201.
- 201991 Relationship of menopause to skeletal and muscle mass Am J Clin Nutr 53: 1378–1383., , , ,
- 211988 The effects of race and body habitus on bone mineral density of the radius, hip and spine in premenopausal women J Clin Endocrinal Metab 66: 1247–1250., , , , ,
- 221987 Obesity and postmenopausal bone loss: The influence of obesity on vertebral density and bone turnover in postmenopausal women Bone 8: 327–331., , , , ,
- 231989 Relationship of body composition, muscle strength, and aerobic capacity to bone mineral density in older men and women J Bone Miner Res 4: 421–432., , , , ,
- 241989 Muscle strength, physical fitness, and weight but not age predict femoral neck bone mass J Bone Miner Res 4: 441–448., , , , , ,
- 251989 Influence of body habitus and race on bone mineral density of the mid-radius, hip and spine in aging women J Bone Miner Res 4: 827–830., , , , ,
- 261995 Editorial: Body composition and skeletal density—Mechanical loading or something more? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80: 1761–1763.
- 271995 Regular exercise dissociates fat mass and bone density in premenopausal women J Clin Endocrinal Metab 80: 1764–1768., , , ,
- 281994 Normalization of spine densitometry J Bone Miner Res 9: 541–548., , ,
- 291994 Uncritical use of bone mineral density in absorptiometry may lead to size-related artifacts in the identification of bone mineral determinants Am J Clin Nutr 60: 837–842., ,
- 301994 Does estimating volumetric bone density of the femoral neck improve the prediction of hip fracture? A prospective study. Study of osteoporotic fractures research group J Bone Miner Res 9: 1429–1432., , , ,
- 311995 Editorial: Bone density: BMC, BMD, or corrected BMD? Bone 16: 5–7.