Medical Expenditures for the Treatment of Osteoporotic Fractures in the United States in 1995: Report from the National Osteoporosis Foundation
Article first published online: 1 JAN 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 24–35, January 1997
How to Cite
Ray, N. F., Chan, J. K., Thamer, M. and Melton, L. J. (1997), Medical Expenditures for the Treatment of Osteoporotic Fractures in the United States in 1995: Report from the National Osteoporosis Foundation. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 24–35. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19188.8.131.52
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 1996
- Manuscript Revised: 6 AUG 1996
- Manuscript Received: 2 APR 1996
- 11995 Epidemiology of fractures. In: RiggsBL, MeltonLJIII (eds.) Osteoporosis: Etiology, Diagnosis and Management, 2nd Ed. Lippincott-Raven Press, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A., pp. 225–247.
- 21990 Hip fracture incidence among the old and very old: A population-based study of 745,435 cases Am J Public Health 80: 871–873., , , , ,
- 31992 Black-white differences in fracture rates Am J Epidemiol 136: 1378–1385., , ,
- 41992 Hospitalization with vertebral fracture among the aged: A national population-based study, 1986–1989 Epidemiology 3: 515–518., , , , ,
- 51994 Racial differences in fracture risk Epidemiology 5: 42–47., , , , , ,
- 6for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group 1991 Which fractures are associated with low appendicular bone mass in elderly women Ann Intern Med 115: 837–842., , , , , ,
- 71995 Almost all fractures are osteoporotic J Bone Miner Res 10(Suppl 1): S468., , , ,
- 8(Office of Technology Assessment, Congress of the United States 1994 Hip Fracture Outcomes in People Age Fifty and Over: Background Paper. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 91989 Survival experience of aged hip fracture patients Am J Public Health 79: 274–278., , , ,
- 101991 Hip fracture incidence and mortality in New England Epidemiology 2: 116–122., , , , , ,
- 111992 Race and sex differences in mortality following fracture of the hip Am J Public Health 82: 1147–1150., , , , ,
- 121994 Mortality following hip fracture: Facts and research in gerontology Année Gérontologique 7: 91–109., ,
- 131978 Survival and ambulation following hip fracture J Bone Joint Surg 60-A: 930–934.
- 141987 Functional recovery after hip fracture Arch Phys Med Rehabil 68: 735–740., , ,
- 151989 Determinants of recovery 12 months after hip fracture: The importance of psychosocial factors Am J Public Health 79: 279–286., , ,
- 161990 Predictors of functional recovery one year following hospital discharge for hip fracture: A prospective study J Gerontol 45: M101–M107., , , ,
- 171992 Decline in physical function following hip fracture J Am Geriatr Soc 40: 861–866., ,
- 181995 Ambulatory ability after hip fracture: A prospective study in geriatric patients Clin Orthop 310: 150–159., , , ,
- 191988 Functional recovery after fractures of the distal forearm Ann Chir Gynaecol 77: 27–31., , , ,
- 201991 A model of lifetime osteoporosis impact Arch Intern Med 151: 2026–2032., , ,
- 21for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group 1992 Contribution of vertebral deformities to chronic back pain and disability J Bone Miner Res 7: 449–456., , , , , , ,
- 221995 Late physical and functional effects of osteoporotic fracture in women: The Rancho Bernardo Study J Am Geriatr Soc 43: 955–961., , ,
- 231984 Frequency of Occurrence, Impact and Cost of Selected Musculoskeletal Conditions in the United States. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Chicago, IL, U.S.A., , ,
- 241992 Musculoskeletal Conditions in the United States. 1st Ed. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Chicago, IL, U.S.A., ,
- 251988 The direct medical costs of osteoporosis for American women aged 45 and older, 1986 Bone 9: 271–279., , ,
- 261994 Cost and health effects of osteoporotic fractures Bone 15: 377–386., ,
- 271988 Biomechanical aspects of fractures. In: RiggsBL, MeltonLJIII (eds.) Osteoporosis: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management. Raven Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 111–131., ,
- 281994 Fall severity and bone mineral density as risk factors for hip fractures in ambulatory elderly JAMA 271: 128–133., , , ,
- 29(Institute of Medicine 1977 Reliability of hospital discharge abstracts. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 30(Institute of Medicine 1977 Reliability of Medicare hospital discharge records. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 311981 Improving hospital discharge data: Lessons from the National Hospital Discharge Survey Med Care 19: 1030–1040.,
- 321990 Physician and coding errors in patients records JAMA 254: 1330.,
- 331992 Accuracy of Medicare's hospital claims data: Progress has been made, but problems remain Am J Public Health 82: 243–248., ,
- 34the National Osteoporosis Foundation Expert Panel on Osteoporotic Fractures 1996 Report: Fractures attributable to osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 12: 16–23., , , , and
- 351994 Hysterectomy in the U.S., 1988–1990 Obstet Gynecol 83: 549–555., , , , ,
- 36(National Center for Health Statistics 1985 The National Nursing Home Survey, Summary for the United States. In: Vital and Health Statistics. Series 13, No. 97. DHHS Pub. No. (PHS) 89-1758. Public Health Service. Government Printing Office. Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 37(U.S. Bureau of the Census 1995 United States Civilian Population Estimates by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 1987, 1992 and 1995. Current Population Reports, Series PPL-21, Appendix C; Series P-25, No. 1095, Table 3. U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 38(U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics 1995 Consumer Price Index for Hospital and Related Services, Physician Services, Medical Care Services, Professional Medical Services, Drugs, and Medical Care Commodities. U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 39(HCFA's Skilled Nursing Facility Input Price Index 1995 HCFA Review. 16(4):265.
- 40National Center for Health Statistics, 1970 Development of the design of the NCHS Hospital Discharge Survey. Vital and health statistics.Series 2. No. 39. Government Printing Office: Washington, DC, U.S.A. (PHS publication no. 1000.)
- 41(Institute of Medicine 1980 Reliability of national hospital discharge survey data: Report of a study. National Academy of Sciences: Washington, DC, U.S.A. (IOM publication no. 80-02.)
- 42National Center for Health Statistics, , 1988 Sample design, sampling variance, and estimation procedures for the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey. Vital and health statistics. Series 2. No. 108. Government Printing Office: Washington, DC, U.S.A. (DHHS publication no. (PHS) 88-1382.)
- 431996 Downturn in hip fracture incidence Public Health Rep 111: 17–20., ,
- 441989 Incidence of hip fractures, United States, 1970–83 Am J Prevent Med 5: 175–181., ,
- 451993 Hip fracture rates in Hong Kong and the United States, 1988 through 1989 Am J Public Health 83: 694–697., , , ,
- 46(National Center for Health Statistics 1992 National Hospital Discharge Survey (Public Use Data Tape). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 47(Agency for Health Care Policy and Research 1992 National Medical Expenditure Survey: Public Use Tape 14.2 Household Survey Data for Calendar Year 1987 File Documentation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 48(National Center for Health Statistics 1984 Utilization of Short-Stay Hospitals United States, 1982 Annual Summary. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 49(National Center for Health Statistics 1993 National Hospital Discharge Survey: Annual Summary 1991. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 50the WHO Study Group 1994 Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis: Synopsis of a WHO report Osteoporosis Int 4: 368–381.,
- 511995 National Health Care Expenditure Projections, 1994–2000 Health Care Financ Rev 16: 221–242.,
- 521990 The aging of America: Impact on health care costs JAMA 263: 2335–2340.,
- 531995 Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older U.S. women from NHANES III J Bone Miner Res 10: 796–802., , , , , , ,