Bone Microdamage and Skeletal Fragility in Osteoporotic and Stress Fractures
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 6–15, January 1997
How to Cite
Burr, D. B., Forwood, M. R., Fyhrie, D. P., Martin, R. B., Schaffler, M. B. and Turner, C. H. (1997), Bone Microdamage and Skeletal Fragility in Osteoporotic and Stress Fractures. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 6–15. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1918.104.22.168
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 1996
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JUN 1996
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 1996
- 1Consensus Development Conference 1991 Prophylaxis and Treatment of Osteoporosis Am J Med 90: 107–110.
- 21989 Defining osteoporosis Calcif Tissue Int 45: 263–264.,
- 3World Health Organization 1994 Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Report of a W.H.O. Study Group. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 41988 Age and bone mass as predictors of fracture in a prospective study J Clin Invest 81: 1804–1809., ,
- 51989 Falls Med Clin N Am 73: 1321–1336.
- 61991 Biomechanics of fracture risk prediction of the hip and spine by quantitative computed tomography Radiol Clin N Am 29: 1–18., ,
- 71992 Falls and fractures in older women. Falls, Balance and Gait Disorders in the Elderly. Elsevier, Paris, France.,
- 81993 Type of fall and risk of hip and wrist fractures: The study of osteoporotic fractures J Am Geriatr Soc 41: 1226–1234.,
- 91993 Impact near the hip dominates fractures risk in elderly nursing home residents who fall Calcif Tissue Int 52: 192–198., , , , ,
- 101994 Fall severity and bone mineral density as risk factors for hip fracture in ambulatory elderly JAMA 271: 128–133., , , ,
- 111994 Postural stability, falls and fractures in the elderly: Results from the Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study Med J Aust 160: 684–691., , , , , ,
- 121993 Measurement and significance of three-dimensional architecture to the mechanical integrity of trabecular bone Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1): S127–S133., ,
- 131994 Connectivity of cancellous bone: Assessment and mechanical implications Bone 15: 463–466.
- 141990 A model of vertebral trabecular bone architecture and its mechanical properties Bone 11: 417–423., ,
- 151960 Presence of microscopic cracks in vivo in bone Bull Henry Ford Hosp 8: 25–35.
- 161985 Bone remodeling in response to in vivo fatigue microdamage J Biomech 18: 189–200., , ,
- 171980 Metal Fatigue in Engineering. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, U.S.A., p. 33.,
- 181991 Fracture Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, U.S.A., pp. 379–412.
- 191991 Fatigue of Materials. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 457–498.
- 201977 Compact bone fatigue damage: A microscopic examination Clin Orthop Rel Res 127: 265–274.,
- 211990 Validity of the bulk-staining technique to separate artifactual from in vivo bone microdamage Clin Orthop Rel Res 260: 305–308.,
- 221994 Examination of compact bone microdamage using back-scattered electron microscopy Bone 15: 483–488., , ,
- 231993 Increased intracortical remodeling following fatigue damage Bone 14: 103–109.,
- 241989 Microdamage in response to repetitive torsional loading in the rat tibia Calcif Tissue Int 45: 47–53.,
- 251993 Evaluation of microdamage in canine trabecular bone Trans Orthop Res Soc 18: 198., , ,
- 261994 In vivo trabecular microcracks in human vertebral bone Trans Orthop Res Soc 19: 57., ,
- 271994 Failure mechanisms in human vertebral cancellous bone Bone 15: 105–109.,
- 281994 Staining and histomorphometry of microcracks in the human femoral head Biotech Histochem 69: 81–88., ,
- 291989 Mechanical and morphological effects of strain rate on fatigue of compact bone Bone 10: 207–214., ,
- 301977 Compact bone fatigue damage–I. Residual strength and stiffness J Biomech 10: 325–337.,
- 311990 Long-term fatigue behavior of compact bone at low strain magnitude and rate Bone 11: 321–326., ,
- 321996 Cyclic mechanical property degradation during fatigue loading of cortical bone J Biomech 29: 69–79., ,
- 331994 The extent of microcracking and the morphology of microcracks in damaged bone J Mater Sci 29: 978–986.,
- 341995 Does microdamage accumulation affect the mechanical properties of bone? Trans Orthop Res Soc 20: 127., , , ,
- 351995 Alterations to the en bloc basic fuchsin staining protocol for the demonstration of microdamage produced in vivo Bone 17: 431–433.,
- 361996 Tissue and matrix failure modes in human compact bone during tensile fatigue Trans Orthop Res Soc 21: 57., ,
- 371992 Microcrack distribution in human femoral heads. Proceedings of the 6th International Congress on Bone Morphometry, Lexington, KY, U.S.A., p. A24., , , , , ,
- 381985 The effect of age on bone composition and viability in the femoral head J Bone Joint Surg 67A: 274–283., , , ,
- 391995 Aging and bone matrix microdamage accumulation in human compact bone Bone 17: 521–525., ,
- 401987 Osteoarthritis of the hip. Possible protective and causative roles of trabecular microfractures in the head of the femur Clin Orthop Rel Res 216: 224–233., ,
- 411995 Age-related architectural changes and microdamage accumulation in the human femoral neck cortex Trans Orthop Res Soc 20: 549., , , ,
- 421996 In vivo trabecular microcracks in human vertebral bone Bone 19: 89–95., ,
- 431995 Effect of disc lesion on microdamage accumulation in lumbar vertebrae under cyclic compression loading Clin Orthop Rel Res 311: 190–198., , ,
- 441980 Comparative skeletal effects of two diphosphonates in dogs Metab Bone Dis Relat Res 2(Suppl): 389–407., , ,
- 451995 Risedronate treatment does not increase microdamage in the canine femoral neck Bone 16: 643–650., , , ,
- 461993 The effects of 2-year treatment with the aminobisphosphonate alendronate on bone metabolism, bone histomorphometry, and bone strength in ovariectomized nonhuman primates J Clin Invest 92: 2577–2586., , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 471981 The long term skeletal effects of EHDP in dogs Metab Bone Dis Relat Res 3: 289–300., , , , ,
- 481993 Remodelling and the repair of fatigue microdamage Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1): S75–S80.
- 491970 Adrenalcorticosteroid and salicylate actions on human and canine haversian bone formation and resorption Clin Orthop Rel Res 68: 301–315., , ,
- 501984 Bone histomorphometry in corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis and Cushing's syndrome Adv Exp Med Biol 171: 191–200., , , , ,
- 511985 Bone microdamage: Factors that impair its repair. In: UhthoffHK (ed.) Current Concepts of Bone Fragility. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, pp. 123–148.
- 521989 Steroid hormones and the skeleton. In: TamCS, HeerscheJNM, MurrayTM (eds.) Metabolic Bone Disease: Cellular and Tissue Mechanisms. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, U.S.A.
- 531990 Steroid and drug-induced osteopenia. In: FavusMJ (ed.) Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism. ASBMR, Kelseyville, CA, U.S.A., pp. 158–162.
- 541983 Steroid-induced fractures and bone loss in patients with asthma New Engl J Med 309: 265–268.,
- 551990 Evaluation of microdamage in canine trabecular bone in hyperadrenocorticism and radiation injury. Presented at the 22nd International Workshop on Hard Tissue Biology, Sun Valley, ID, U.S.A., August 1990., , ,
- 561990 Response of adult canine bone to irradiation. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Radiation Research Society., , ,
- 571987 A review of the effects of radiation therapy on bone Vet Radiol 28: 17–22., ,
- 581988 Effects of irradiation on cortical bone and their time-related changes J Bone Joint Surg 70A: 392–399., , , , ,
- 591965 The Physical Agents and Bone. Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Prague, Czechoslovakia., ,
- 601976 Mechanical Design in Organisms. Halsted Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., , ,
- 611989 Transient-steady state phenomena in microdamage physiology: A proposed algorithm for lamellar bone Calcif Tissue Res 44: 367–381.
- 621991 Some ABC's of skeletal pathophysiology. 5. Microdamage physiology Calcif Tissue Int 49: 229–231.
- 631993 Calculating the probability that microcracks initiate resorption spaces J Biomech 26: 613–616.,
- 641977 The compressive behavior of bone as a two phase porous structure J Bone Joint Surg 59A: 954–962.,
- 651988 On the dependence of the elasticity and strength of cancellous bone on apparent density J Biomech 21: 155–168., ,
- 661988 Stiffness of compact bone: Effects of porosity and density J Biomech 21: 13–16.,
- 671995 Mathematical model for repair of fatigue damage and stress fracture in osteonal bone J Orthop Res 13: 309–316.