The Thickness of Human Vertebral Cortical Bone and its Changes in Aging and Osteoporosis: A Histomorphometric Analysis of the Complete Spinal Column from Thirty-Seven Autopsy Specimens
Article first published online: 1 JAN 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 89–95, January 1997
How to Cite
Ritzel, H., Amling, M., Pösl, M., Hahn, M. and Delling, G. (1997), The Thickness of Human Vertebral Cortical Bone and its Changes in Aging and Osteoporosis: A Histomorphometric Analysis of the Complete Spinal Column from Thirty-Seven Autopsy Specimens. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 89–95. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1922.214.171.124
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 1996
- Manuscript Revised: 27 AUG 1996
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 1996
- 11986 Involutional osteoporosis New Engl J Med 314: 1676–1686.,
- 21989 Sex differences in age-related loss of vertebral trabecular bone mass and structure: Biomechanical consequences Bone 10: 425–432.
- 31988 Age-related changes in vertebral trabecular bone architecture: Assessed by a new method Bone 9: 247–250.
- 41987 Trabecular bone architecture in the pathogenesis and prevention of fracture Am J Med 82 (Suppl 1B): 68–72.
- 51984 Age-related structural changes in trabecular and cortical bone: Cellular mechanisms and biomechanical consequences Calcif Tissue Int 36(Suppl 1): S123–S128.
- 61989 Sex differences in age-related loss of vertebral trabecular bone mass and structure—Bimechanical consequences Bone 10: 425–432.
- 71991 Structural and geometric changes in iliac bone: Relationship to normal aging and osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 6: 759–766., , , ,
- 81991 Classification of vertebral fractures J Bone Miner Res 6: 207–215., , , ,
- 91985 The role of three-dimensional trabecular microstructure in the pathogenesis of vertebral compression fractures Calcif Tissue Int 37: 594–597., , , , ,
- 101990 A critical review of bone mass and the risk of fractures in osteoporosis Calcif Tissue Int 46: 149–161., , ,
- 111990 Fracture risk: A role for compact bone Calcif Tissue Int 47: 191–193.
- 121991 Biomechanically meaningful determinants of the in vitro strength of lumbar vertebrae Bone 12: 219–224., , , , ,
- 131964 Measure histologique de la mass et de la resorption des travees osseous Path Biol 12: 1238–1243., , ,
- 141994 Three-dimensional analysis of the spine in autopsy cases with renal osteodystrophy Kidney Int 46: 733–743., , , ,
- 151995 Microcallus formations of the cancellous bone—A quantitative analysis of the human spine J Bone Miner Res 10: 1410–1416., , , ,
- 161991 Undecalcified preparation of bone tissue: Report of technical experience and development of new methods Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol 418: 1–7., ,
- 171993 High spatial resolution imaging of bone mineral using computed microtomography—Comparison with microradiography and undecalcified histologic sections Invest Radiol 28: 341–349., , , ,
- 181989 Star volume of marrow space and trabecular of the first lumbar vertebra: Sampling efficiency and biological variation Bone 10: 7–13., ,
- 191992 Implications of architecture for the pathogenesis and prevention of vertebral fracture Bone 13: S41–S47.
- 201995 Biomechanical stability of the skeleton—It is not only bone mass, but also bone structure that counts Nephrol Dial Transplant 10: 601–606.,
- 211994 Polyostotic heterogeneity of the spine in osteoporosis: Quantitative analysis and three-dimensional morphology Bone Miner 27: 193–208., , , ,
- 221994 The microarchitecture of the axis as the predisposing factor for fracture of the base of the odontoid process J Bone Joint Surg Am 76: 1840–1846., , , ,
- 231987 The proportion of trabecular bone in human vertebrae J Bone Miner Res 2: 221–228., , , ,
- 241969 The relative contribution of trabecular and cortical bone to the strength of human lumbar vertebrae Calcif Tissue Res 3: 163–175., ,
- 251985 Prediction of vertebral compressive fracture using quantitative computed tomography J Bone Joint Surg 67: 1206–1214., , , ,
- 261988 Functional biomechanics of the thoracolumbar vertebral cortex Clin Biomech 3: 11–18., , , ,
- 271986 Normal vertebral bone size and compressive strength relations to age and to vertebral and iliac trabecular bone compressive strength Bone 7: 207–212.,
- 281993 Vertebral structure and strength in vivo and in vitro Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1): S121–S126.
- 291995 Intervertebral variation in the trabecular microarchitecture throughout the normal spine in relation to age Bone 16: 301–308., , , , ,
- 301994 Direct and computed tomography thickness measurements of the human, lumbar vertebral shell and endplate Bone 15: 409–414., , ,
- 311994 Three-dimensional photographic study of cancellous bone in human fourth lumbar vertebral bodies Anatomy Embryol 189: 259–274., ,
- 321992 Compact and trabecular components of the spine using quantitative computed tomography Calcif Tissue Int 50: 502–506., , , ,
- 331993 The assessment of vertebral bone macroarchitecture with x-ray computed tomography Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1): S170–S175.,
- 341970 External and trabecular morphologic changes in lumbar vertebrae in aging. Progress in methods of bone mineral measurement. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, pp. 352–411.
- 351971 The scanning electron microscope in studies of trabecular bone from a human vertebral body J Anat 108: 481–496., ,
- 361987 The treatment of primary vertebral tumors by radical resection and prosthetic vertebral replacement Clin Orthop Rel Res 215: 78–90., , , , , ,