On Our Age-Related Bone Loss: Insights from a New Paradigm
Article first published online: 1 OCT 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 10, pages 1539–1546, October 1997
How to Cite
Frost, H. M. (1997), On Our Age-Related Bone Loss: Insights from a New Paradigm. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 1539–1546. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1922.214.171.1249
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAY 1997
- Manuscript Revised: 26 APR 1997
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 1997
- 1BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA, (eds.) 1996 Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, New York, NY, U.S.A.
- 21993 Soft tissue aging and musculoskeletal function J Bone Joint Surg 75A:1533–1548., , , , , ,
- 3FavusMJ, (ed.) 1996 Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, 3rd Ed. Lippincott-Raven Press, New York, NY, U.S.A.
- 41995 Introduction to a New Skeletal Physiology, Vols I, II. The Pajaro Group, Inc., Pueblo, CO, U.S.A.,
- 51992 Skeletal adaptations during growth Triangle (Ciba Geigy) 31:77–88.,
- 61989 Structure, Function and Adaptation of Compact Bone. Raven Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., ,
- 71995 Perspectives of pQCT technology associated to biomech anical studies in skeletal research employing rat models Bone 17(Suppl):353–364.
- 81995 Perspectives: On osteoporosis research: Its focus and some insights of a new paradigm Calcif Tissue Int 57:399–404., , , , , , ,
- 91996 Bone quality factor analysis: a new noninvasive technique for the measurement of bone density and bone strength J Bone Miner Res 11:594–599., , , ,
- 101995 Bone density: BMC, BMD, or corrected BMD? Bone 16:5–7.
- 111995 Assessing bone quantity by pQCT Bone 17(Suppl):145–154.
- 121996 Noninvasive bone strength index as analyzed by peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT). In: SchönauE, (ed.) Paediatric Osteology: New Developments in Diagnostics and Therapy. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 141–146., , , ,
- 131996 Bone and muscle development during childhood in health and disease. In: SchönauE, (ed.) Paediatric Osteology. New Developments in Diagnostics and Therapy. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 147–160., , , , , , , , ,
- 14RiggsBL, MeltonLJIII, (eds.) 1995 Osteoporosis. Etiology, Diagnosis and Treatment, 2nd Ed. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Hagerstown, MD, U.S.A.
- 151989 Mechanical forces and bone J Bone Miner Res 6:139–173.,
- 161989 The skeletal tissues. In: WeissL, (ed.) Cell and Tissue Biology: A Text book of Histology. Urban and Schwartzenberg, Baltimore, MD, U.S.A., pp. 211–259.,
- 171997 “Osteoporoses”: A Rationale for Further Definitions? Calcif Tissue Int (in press).,
- 181995 Aging changes mechanical loading thresholds for bone formation in rats J Bone Miner Res 10:1544–1549., ,
- 191993 Physical activity and bone mass: Exercises in futility? Bone Miner 21:89–112.,
- 201990 Adaptation of cancellous bone to overloading in the adult rat: A single photon absorptiometry and histomorphometry study Anat Rec 227:418–426.,
- 211991 Adaptation of diaphyseal structure with aging and increased mechanical usage in the adult rat: A histomorphometrical and biomechanical study Anat Rec 230:332–338., ,
- 22Jee WSS, (ed.) 1995 Proceedings of the International Conference on Animal Models in the Prevention and Treatment of Osteopenia Bone 17(Suppl):1–466.
- 231991 Adaptation of diaphyseal structure to aging and decreased mechanical loading in the adult rat: A densitometric and histomorphometric study Anat Rec 229:291–297.,
- 241990 Adaptation of cancellous bone to aging and immobilization in the rat: A single photon absorptiometry and histomorphometry study Anat Rec 227:12–24., , ,
- 251981 Peak dynamic force in human gait J Biomech 14:812–822., , , , ,
- 261978 A biomechanical investigation of the human hip J Biomech 11:75–85., , ,
- 271993 Biomechanics of joints. In: KellyWNK, HarisED, RuddyS, SledgeCB, (eds.) Textbook of Rheumatology. WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A., pp., 1675–1678.,
- 281917 On Growth and Form. University of Cambridge Press, Cambridge, U.K.,
- 29SchönauE, (ed.) 1996 Paediatric Osteology: New Developments in Diagnostics and Therapy. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 30TakahashiHE, (ed.) 1995 Spinal Disorders and Growth and Aging. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo, Japan.
- 311996 Physical loading, exercise and bone Bone 18(Suppl 1):1–3., ,
- 321984 Impaired muscle function with aging: A background factor in the incidence of fractures of the proximal end of the femur Clin Orthop 191:193–201., , ,
- 331990 Skeletal muscle weakness and fatigue in old age: Underlying mechanisms. In: CristofaloVJ, LawtonMP, (eds.) Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 147–166., , ,
- 341994 Grip strength and bone mineral density in older women J Bone Miner Res 9:45–51.,
- 351990 Age-related changes in skeletal muscle function Aging 2:27–38.
- 361980 Strength of isometric and isokinetic contractions: Knee muscles of men aged 20 to 86 Phys Ther 60:412–419., , ,
- 371996 Vanishing flesh: Muscle loss in the elderly finally gets some respect Sci News 150:90–91.
- 381995 Evolution of the pathogenesis of postmenopausal bone loss Bone 17(Suppl):135–145.
- 391993 Bone mineral density in weight lifters Calcif Tissue Int 52:212–215., ,
- 401987 Ballet dancing and weight lifting—effects on BMC Am J Roentgen 131:541–542., , ,
- 411997 Effects of ethnicity and age or menopause on the remodeling and turnover of iliac bone: Implications for mechanisms of bone loss J Bone Miner Res 12:498–508., , , ,
- 421989 Errors in bone remodeling: Toward a unified theory of metabolic bone disease Am J Anat 186:1–31.,
- 431987 The mechanostat: A proposed pathogenetic mechanism of osteoporoses and the bone mass effects of mechanical and nonmechanical agents Bone Miner 2:73–85.
- 441973 Bone Modeling and Skeletal Modeling Errors. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, MA, U.S.A.,
- 451995 In vivo measurement of human tibial strains during vigorous activity Bone 18:405–410., , , , , , ,
- 461995 Skeletal adaptations to mechanical usage: Results from tibial loading studies in rats Bone 17(Suppl):197–205.,
- 471996 Using functional loading to influence bone mass and architecture: Objectives, mechanisms, and relationship with estrogen of the mechanically adaptive process in bone Bone 18(Suppl 1):37–43.
- 481990 Fatigue fractures in thoroughbred race horses: Relationship with age, peak bone strain and running J Orthop Res 8:604–611., ,
- 491995 Bone adaptation to mechanical forces in the rat tibia. In: OdgaardA, WeinansH, (eds.) Bone Structure And Remodeling. World Scientific, London, U.K., pp. 65–78., ,