Muscle Strength, Bone Mass, and Age-Related Bone Loss
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 10, pages 1547–1551, October 1997
How to Cite
Burr, D. B. (1997), Muscle Strength, Bone Mass, and Age-Related Bone Loss. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 1547–1551. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1922.214.171.1247
- Issue online: 3 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 1997
- 11997 Perspective: On our age-related bone loss: Insights from a new paradigm J Bone Miner Res 12:1539–1546.
- 21965 Gesammelte Abhandlungen zur Funktionellen Anatomie des Bewegungsapparates. Springer, Berlin, Germany.,
- 31997 Influence of muscle activity on the forces in the femur: Comparison between in vivo measurement and calculation Trans Orthop Res Soc 22:721., , ,
- 41994 Effects of mechanical loading on the profile of human femoral diaphyseal geometry Med Eng Phys 16:75–81., ,
- 51993 Influence of recreational activity and muscle strength on ulnar bending stiffness in men Med Sci Sports Exerc 25:592–596., , , , ,
- 61995 Factors contributing to skeletal health of postmenopausal Mexican-American women J Bone Miner Res 10:1233–1242., , ,
- 71996 Adaptation of bone to altered loading environment: A biomechanical approach using X-ray absorptiometric data from the patella of a young woman Bone 19:55–59., ,
- 81996 Influence of muscle strength on bone strength during childhood and adolescence Horm Res 45(Suppl 1):63–66., , , , , ,
- 91996 Can strong back extensors prevent vertebral fractures in women with osteoporosis? Mayo Clin Proc 71:951–956., , ,
- 101997 The relationship between childhood growth, bone mass, and muscle strength in male and female adolescents Calcif Tissue Int 60:405–409., , ,
- 111995 Relationship of age-related decreases in muscle mass and strength to skeletal status J Gerontol (Series A) 50A:86–87.
- 121995 Editorial: Body composition and skeletal density—Mechanical loading or something more? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:1761–1763.
- 131996 High bone mass and altered relationships between bone mass, muscle strength, and body constitution in adolescent boys on a high level of physical activity Bone 19:189–195., , ,
- 141993 Factors associated with appendicular bone mass in older women: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group Ann Intern Med 118:657–665., , , , , , ,
- 151994 Influences on skeletal mineralization in children and adolescents: Evidence for varying effects of sexual maturation and physical activity J Pediatr 125:201–207., , , , ,
- 161987 The mechanostat: A proposed pathogenic mechanism of osteoporoses and the bone mass effects of mechanical and nonmechanical agents Bone Miner 2:73–85.
- 171996 Total and regional bone mass in female soccer players Calcif Tissue Int 59:438–442., ,
- 181997 Bone mineral density, muscle strength and physical activity: A population-based study of 332 subjects aged 15–42 years Acta Orthop Scand 68:97–103., , , ,
- 191986 Intermediary Organization of the Skeleton. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, U.S.A.,
- 201980 Isokinetic and static plantarflexion characteristics Eur J Appl Physiol 45:221–234., ,
- 211983 Physiological properties of two antagnoistic human muscle groups Eur J Appl Physiol 51:381–393., ,
- 221970 Neuromuscular coordination as a factor in age changes in muscular exercise Med Sci Sports Exerc 4:92–108.,
- 231975 Ageing, isometric strength and enduracne and cardiovascular responses to static effort J Appl Physiol 38:91–95.,
- 241976 Isometric strength and eudurance during the menstrual cycle Eur J Appl Physiol 35:1–10., , ,
- 251978 Isometric and dynamic eudurance as a function of age and skeletal muscle characteristics Acta Physiol Scand 104:129–136.,
- 261995 Age, gender, and musular strength J Gerontol 50A:41–44.
- 27Contractile changes in opposing muscles of the human ankle joint with aging. J Appl Physiol 61:361–367.,
- 281991 Effect of aging on human adductor pollicis muscle function J Appl Physiol 71:1277–1281., ,
- 291990 The role of muscle loss in the age-related decline of grip strength: Cross-sectional and longitudinal perspectives J Gerontol 45:M82–M88., ,
- 301991 Relationship of menopause to skeletal and muscle mass Am J Clin Nutr 53:1378–1383., , , ,
- 311989 Isometric and isokinetic knee extension and flexion torque in men and women aged 20–70 Scand J Rehabil Med 21:45–53.
- 321993 Muscle weakness in women occurs at an earlier age than in men, but strength is preserved by hormone replacement therapy Clin Sci 84:95–98., , , ,
- 331994 Skeletal muscles weakness in old age: Underlying mechanisms Med Sci Sports Exerc 26:432–439.,
- 341995 Cross-sectional study of muscle strength and bone mineral density in a population of 106 women between the ages of 44 and 87 years: Relationship with age and menopause Eur J Appl Physiol 70:180–186., , ,
- 351976 Long-term prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis by estrogen Lancet 1:1038–1041., , , , ,
- 361987 Osteoporosis: Cause and management Br Med J 294:329–332.
- 371995 Maximal muscle strength of elderly women is not influenced by oestrogen status Age Ageing 24:329–333., , ,
- 381995 Forearm bone density and grip strength in women after menopause, with and without estrogen replacement therapy Maturitas 21:57–63., , , , ,
- 391989 Structure, Function and Adaptation of Compact Bone. Raven Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., ,
- 401991 Mechanical loading, estrogen deficiency, and the coupling of bone formation to bone resorption J Bone Miner Res 6:527–530.
- 411993 Physical activity and bone mass: exercises in futility? Bone Miner 21:89–112.,
- 421997 Estrogen regulates the rate of bone turnover but bone balance in ovariectomized rats is modulated by prevailing mechanical strain Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94:4199–4204., , , , , ,
- 431991 Effect of exercise on osteoporosis induced by ovariectomy in rats Calcif Tissue Int 49:S80., ,
- 441993 Effects of two nonendurance exercise protocols on established bone loss in ovariectomized adult rats Calcif Tissue Int 52:239–243., , ,
- 451985 The pathomechanics of osteoporoses Clin Orthop 200:198–225.
- 461989 Errors in bone remodeling: Toward a unified theory of metabolic bone disease Am J Anat 186:186–216.,