Effects of Ethnicity and Age or Menopause on the Remodeling and Turnover of Iliac Bone: Implications for Mechanisms of Bone Loss
Version of Record online: 1 APR 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 4, pages 498–508, April 1997
How to Cite
Han, Z.-H., Palnitkar, S., Rao, D. S., Nelson, D. and Parfitt, A. M. (1997), Effects of Ethnicity and Age or Menopause on the Remodeling and Turnover of Iliac Bone: Implications for Mechanisms of Bone Loss. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 498–508. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1922.214.171.1248
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 APR 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 NOV 1996
- Manuscript Revised: 25 NOV 1996
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 1996
- 11978 Menopausal changes in bone remodeling J Lab Clin Med 92: 964–970., ,
- 21987 Serum osteocalcin levels and bone alkaline phosphatase isoenzyme after oophorectomy and in primary hyperparathyroidism J Clin Endocrinol Metab 64: 1079–1082., , ,
- 31993 Longitudinal transmenopausal skeletal changes measured by histomorphometry [abstract]. Fourth International Symposium on Osteoporosis, Hong Kong., ,
- 41986 Bone formation rate in older normal women. Concurrent assessment with bone histomorphometry, calcium kinetics and biochemical markers J Clin Endocrinol Metab 67: 741–749., , , , ,
- 51990 Bone-forming cells in clinical conditions. In: HallK (ed.) Bone: A Treatise, Vol 1, The Osteoblast and Osteocyte. Telford Press, Caldwell, NJ, U.S.A. pp. 351–429.
- 61992 Bone resorption and formation on the periosteal envelope of the ilium: A histomorphometric study in healthy women J Bone Miner Res 7: 1475–1482., ,
- 71995 Relations between histologic indices of bone formation: Implications for the pathogenesis of spinal osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 10: 466–473., , ,
- 81996 Aging and bone metabolism in African American and Caucasian women J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81: 1108–1117., , , , , , , ,
- 91985 Evidence for alteration of the vitamin D-endocrine system in blacks J Clin Invest 76: 470–473., , , , ,
- 101992 Racial differences in pre- and postmenopausal bone homeostasis: Association with bone density J Bone Miner Res 7: 1181–1189., , , ,
- 111994 Reference data for bone mass, calciotropic hormones, and biochemical markers of bone remodeling in older (55–75) postmenopausal white and black women J Bone Miner Res 9: 1267–1276., , , , , ,
- 121988 Diminished rates of bone formation in normal Black adults New Engl J Med 319: 1698–1701.,
- 131995 Bone histomorphometry reveals subtle differences in bone formation between black and white premenopausal women J Bone Miner Res 10(suppl 1): S444., , , , , , , , , ,
- 141990 Histomorphometry of iliac crest bone in 346 normal black and white South African adults Bone Miner 10: 183–199., , , , ,
- 151996 Effect of ethnicity and age or menopause on the structure and geometry of iliac bone J Bone Miner Res 11: 1967–1975., , , ,
- 161991 Structural and geometric changes in iliac bone: Relationship to normal aging and osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 6: 759–766., , , ,
- 171991 The difference in label length between demethylchlortetracycline and oxytetracycline: Implications for the interpretation of bone histomorphometry Calcif Tissue Int 48: 744–777., , ,
- 181983 Practical approach to bone biopsy. In: ReckerR (ed.) Bone Histomorphometry: Techniques and Interpretations. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, U.S.A. pp. 3–11.
- 191985 Metabolic bone disease with and without osteomalacia after intestinal bypass surgery: A bone histomorphometric study Bone 6: 211–220., , ,
- 201979 Staining and processing bone specimens for simultaneous tetracycline-osteoid seam assessment and bone histomorphometric quantitative analysis J Histotech 2: 23–24.,
- 211987 Bone histomorphometry nomenclature, symbols and units. Report of the ASBMR Histomorphometry Nomenclature Committee J Bone Miner Res 2: 595–610., , , , , , ,
- 221990 Frequency distributions of tetracycline based measurements: Implications for the interpretation of bone formation indices in the absence of double labelled surfaces J Bone Miner Res 5: 1063–1067., ,
- 231983 Identification of the mineralization front: Comparison of a modified toluidine blue stain with tetracycline fluorescence Metab Bone Dis Rel Res 5: 41–45., , ,
- 241987 Procollagen type 1 carboxyterminal extension peptide in serum as a marker of collagen biosynthesis in bone: Correlation with iliac bone formation rates and comparison with total alkaline phosphatase J Bone Miner Res 2: 427–436., , ,
- 251981 Biometry. The principles and practices of statistics in biological research, 2nd ed. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman.,
- 261991 Practical Statistics for Medical Research. Chapman and Hall, London, U.K.
- 271991 Interrelationship among vitamin D metabolism, true calcium absorption, parathyroid function, and age in women: Evidence of an age-related intestinal resistance to 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D action J Bone Miner Res 6: 125–132., , , , ,
- 281988 Concurrent assays of circulating bone Gla-protein and bone alkaline phosphatase: Effects of sex, age, and metabolic bone disease J Clin Endocrinol Metab 66: 951–957., , , , ,
- 291983 Histomorphometric analysis of dynamic parameters of trabecular bone formation in the iliac crest of normal British subjects Metab Bone Dis Rel Res 5: 69–74., , ,
- 301988 Histomorphometric analysis of normal bone from the iliac crest of Norwegian subjects Bone Miner 3: 369–377., , ,
- 311994 The short term effects of conjugated estrogen on bone turnover in older women J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79: 366–371., , , , , ,
- 321992 Relative contributions of years since menopause, age, and weight to vertebral density in postmenopausal women J Clin Endocr Metab 74: 20–23., , ,
- 331992 The two-stage concept of bone loss revisited Triangle 31: 99–110.
- 341994 The bone-remodeling transient: Implications for the interpretation of clinical studies of bone mass change J Bone Miner Res 9: 1515–1523.
- 351985 Irreversible bone loss in osteomalacia: Comparison of radial photon absorptiometry with iliac bone histomorphometry during treatment J Clin Invest 76: 2403–2412., , , , ,
- 361995 Bone marrow, cytokines, and bone remodeling. Emerging insights into the pathophysiology of osteoporosis New Engl J Med 332: 305–311.,
- 371996 A new model for the regulation of bone resorption, with particular reference to the effects of bisphosphonates J Bone Miner Res 11: 150–159., , , ,
- 381985 Age and sex dependency of the biochemical indices of bone remodeling Clin Chim Acta 151: 273–283., , , , ,
- 391989 Age and menopause-related changes in indices of bone turnover J Clin Endocrinol Metab 69: 1160–1165., , ,
- 401995 Evolution of spinal loss and biochemical markers of bone remodeling after menopause in normal women Calcif Tissue Int 57: 105–110., , , , , , ,
- 411996 Vitamin D in the treatment of osteoporosis revisited Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 212: 110–115.
- 421991 Evidence for a renal calcium leak in postmenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol Metab 72: 401–407., , , ,
- 431996 Estrogen deficiency, and not age changes, is the cause of secondary hyperparathyroidism and increased bone resorption in elderly women whereas age changes, and not estrogen deficiency, are the cause of their decreased osteoblastic function. Trans Am Assoc Physicians (in press)., , , , ,
- 441996 Interleukin 6 type cytokines and their receptors. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA (eds.) Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 701–713., , , ,
- 451989 Surface specific bone remodeling in health and disease. In: KleerekoperM, KraneS (eds.) Clinical Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism. Mary Ann Liebert Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 7–14.
- 461991 A new method for measuring cancellous bone erosion depth: Application to the cellular mechanisms of bone loss in post-menopausal osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 6: 1331–1338., , ,
- 471993 Age- and sex-related changes in iliac cortical bone mass and remodeling Bone 14: 681–691., , , ,
- 481988 Bone remodeling: Relationship to the amount and structure of bone and the pathogenesis and prevention of fractures. In: RiggsBL, MeltonLJ (eds.) Osteoporosis—Etiology, Diagnosis and Management. Raven Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 45–94.
- 491990 The three organizational levels of bone remodeling—Implications for the interpretation of biochemical markers and the mechanisms of bone loss. In: ChristiansenC, OvergaardK (eds.) Osteoporosis: Proceedings of Third International Symposium 1990. Osteopress ApS, Copenhagen, Denmark, pp. 429–434S.
- 501990 Trabecular and endocortical bone remodeling in postmenopausal osteoporosis: Comparison with normal postmenopausal women Osteoporosis Int 1: 41–49., , ,
- 511996 Bone histomorphometry in postmenopausal women with primary hyperparathyroidism J Bone Miner Res 11(suppl 1): S98., , , , , , , , , ,
- 521990 Relationship between serum intact parathyroid hormone concentrations and bone remodeling in type I osteoporosis: Evidence that skeletal sensitivity is increased Osteoporosis Int 1: 14–22., , , , , , , , ,
- 531992 Clinical use of biochemical markers of bone remodeling in osteoporosis Bone 13: S17–S21.
- 541992 A specific immunoassay for monitoring human bone resorption: Quantitation of type I collagen cross-linked N-telopeptides in urine J Bone Miner Res 7: 1251–1258., , , , ,
- 551996 Biochemical studies in the evaluation and management of osteoporosis: Current status and future prospects Endocrin Pract 2: 13–19.,
- 561996 Skeletal heterogeneity and the purposes of bone remodeling: Implications for the understanding of osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 315–329.
- 571981 Bone histomorphometric reproducibility in normal patients Calcif Tissue Int 33: 369–374., , , ,
- 581992 Perspectives: Bone's mechanical usage windows Bone Miner 19: 257–271.
- 591996 Hormonal influences on bone remodeling and bone loss—Implications for the management of primary hyperparathyroidism Ann Intern Med 125: 413–415.
- 601993 Pathophysiology of bone fragility. In: Christiansen C, Riis BJ (eds.) Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Osteoporosis, Hong Kong. Handelstrykkeriet Aalborg ApS, Aalborg, Denmark, pp. 164–166.