Part of this work was presented at the 1996 meeting of the ASBMR, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A. (Bell et al., J Bone Miner Res 11:S334).
Cortical Remodeling Following Suppression of Endogenous Estrogen with Analogs of Gonadotrophin Releasing Hormone†
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 1997
Copyright © 1997 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 12, Issue 8, pages 1231–1240, August 1997
How to Cite
Bell, K. L., Loveridge, N., Lindsay, P. C., Lunt, M., Garrahan, N., Compston, J. E. and Reeve, J. (1997), Cortical Remodeling Following Suppression of Endogenous Estrogen with Analogs of Gonadotrophin Releasing Hormone. J Bone Miner Res, 12: 1231–1240. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19220.127.116.111
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 APR 1997
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAR 1997
- Manuscript Received: 7 OCT 1996
- 11995 Stress distributions within the proximal femur during gait and falls: Implications for osteoporotic fracture Osteoporos Int 5:252–261., ,
- 21966 The Bone Dynamics in Osteoporosis and Osteomalacia. Ch. C. Thomas, Springfield, Mass., U.S.A., pp. 3–176.,
- 31976 The actions of parathyroid hormone on bone: Relation to bone remodeling and turnover, calcium homeostasis and metabolic bone disease Metabolism 25:809–844.
- 41965 Suggested sequential mode of control of changes in cell behavior in adult bone remodeling Nature 206:489–490., ,
- 51984 Lamellar bone turnover system and its effector organ Calcif Tissue Int 36:S46–S55.
- 61978 Mean wall thickness of trabecular bone packets in the human iliac crest: Changes with age Calcif Tissue Res 26:13–17., ,
- 71986 Normal and pathological remodeling of human trabecular bone: Three dimensional reconstruction of the remodeling sequence in normals and in metabolic bone disease Endocr Rev 7:379–408.
- 81990 Bone-forming cells in clinical conditions. In: HallBK, (ed.) Bone: A Treatise, Vol 1: The osteoblast and osteocyte. Telford Press, Caldwell, NJ, U.S.A., pp. 351–429.,
- 91991 Age-related changes in resorption cavity characteristics in human trabecular bone Osteoporos Int 1:257–261., , ,
- 101990 Cancellous bone remodeling in type I (postmenopausal) osteoporosis: Quantitative assessment of rates of formation, resorption and bone loss at tissue and cellular levels J Bone Miner Res 5:311–319., , , , ,
- 111991 A new method for measuring cancellous bone erosion depth: Application to the cellular mechanisms of bone loss in post-menopausal osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 6:1331–1338., , ,
- 121964 Quantitative analysis of osteoporosis in cortical bone Nature 201:373–375.
- 131960 Age changes in human bone Clin Orthop 17:210–217.
- 141980 Age changes in bone mineralization, cortical thickness and haversian canal area Calcif Tissue Int 31:5–11.
- 151993 Age- and sex-related changes in iliac cortical bone mass and remodeling Bone 14:681–691., , , ,
- 161995 Reconstruction of cortical bone remodeling in untreated primary hyperparathyroidism and following surgery Bone 16:109–117., , ,
- 171960 Observations on osteoid seams: The existence of a resting state Henry Ford Hosp Med Bull 8:220–224.
- 181980 Resting seams: “On” and “Off” in lamellar bone-forming centers Metab Bone Dis Rel Res 2S:167–170.
- 191972 Observations on two types of resorption cavities in human lamellar cortical bone Clin Orthop Res 83:279–285., ,
- 201993 Morphometry of bone resorption: Introduction and overview Bone 14:435–441.
- 211991 Histomorphometric assessment of trabecular bone remodelling in osteoporosis Bone Miner 14:91–102.,
- 221995 Evidence of interrupted bone resorption in human iliac cancellous bone J Bone Miner Res 10:1537–1543., ,
- 231988 The effect of a gonadotrophin-releasing hormone agonist analog (naferelin) on bone metabolism J Clin Endocrinol Metab 67:701–706., , , , ,
- 241988 Reversible trabecular bone density loss following induced hypo-oestrogensim with the GnRH analogue buserelin in premenopausal women Clin Endocrinol 29:45–51., , ,
- 251991 Bone mass in endometriosis patients treated with GnRH agonist implant or danazol Obstet Gynecol 77:410–415., , , ,
- 261994 Bone density and endometriosis Fertil Steril 61:175–177., , ,
- 271994 Hormonal therapies for endometriosis: Implications for bone metabolism Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 73(Suppl 159):22–34.
- 281995 The effects of gonadotrophin-releasing hormone agonists on iliac crest cancellous bone structure in women with endometriosis Bone 16:261–267., , , , ,
- 291994 Fluctuation of mineral apposition rate at individual bone-remodeling sites in human iliac cancellous bone: Independent correlations with osteoid width and osteoblastic alkaline phosphatase activity J Bone Miner Res 9:1679–1686., ,
- 301996 The death of osteocytes via apoptosis accompanies oestrogen withdrawal in human bone J Bone Miner Res 11(Suppl 1):S129 (abstract)., , ,
- 311967 An improved automated procedure for the determination of calcium in biological specimens Anal Biochem 18:521–531.
- 321960 A specific method for the analysis of hydroxyproline in tissues and urine Anal Biochem 1:228–239.,
- 331984 Sensitive color reagent for the enzymic determination of creatinine Clin Chem 30:968–969 (abstract)., ,
- 341993 Methods for the histological study of femoral neck bone remodelling in patients with fractured neck of femur Bone 14:249–255., , , , , , , , ,
- 351982 Osteon cross-sectional size in the iliac crest Acta Path Microbiol Immunol Scand (A) 90:339–344., , ,
- 361984 Reconstruction of the formative site in iliac trabecular bone in 20 normal individuals employing a kinetic model for matrix and mineral apposition Metab Bone Dis Rel Res 5:243–252., , ,
- 371985 Trabecular bone resorption depth decreases with age: Differences between normal males and females Bone 6:141–146., ,
- 381992 Reconstruction of the formative site in trabecular bone by a new, quick and easy method Bone 13:147–152., , , ,
- 391991 A reconstruction of the remodelling cycle in normal human cortical iliac bone Bone Miner 12:101–112., , , ,
- 401958 The three-dimensional anatomy of Haversian systems J Bone Joint Surg 40A:419–434.,
- 411996 Tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase deficient mice have defective osteoclast function and develop late-onset osteopetrosis J Bone Miner Res 11(Suppl 1):S135 (abstract)., , , , , , ,
- 421994 Osteonal and hemi-osteonal remodeling: The spatial and temporal framework for signal traffic in adult human bone J Cell Biochem 55:273–286.
- 431970 Focal endosteal resorption in aging and senile osteoporosis. In: BarzelUS, (ed.) Osteoporosis. Grune & Stratton, New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 80–100.,
- 441993 Bone formation periods studied with triple tetracycline labels in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 8:443–450.