The Tromsø Study: Physical Activity and the Incidence of Fractures in a Middle-Aged Population
Article first published online: 1 JUL 1998
Copyright © 1998 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 13, Issue 7, pages 1149–1157, July 1998
How to Cite
Joakimsen, R. M., Fønnebø, V., Magnus, J. H., Størmer, J., Tollan, A. and Søgaard, A. J. (1998), The Tromsø Study: Physical Activity and the Incidence of Fractures in a Middle-Aged Population. J Bone Miner Res, 13: 1149–1157. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19220.127.116.119
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 1998
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 FEB 1998
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 1998
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUL 1997
- 11990 The future of hip fractures in the United States. Numbers, costs, and potential effects of postmenopausal estrogen Clin Orthop 252:163–166., ,
- 21992 Hip fractures in the elderly: A world-wide projeciton Osteoporosis Int 2:285–289., ,
- 31995 The economic and human costs of osteoporotic fracture Am J Med 98(Suppl 2A):S3–S8.
- 41989 Increasing age-adjusted risk of fragility fractures: A sign of increasing osteoporosis in successive generations? Calcif Tissue Int 44:157–167., , , ,
- 51995 The worldwide problem of osteoporosis: Insights afforded by epidemiology Bone 17:S505–S511.,
- 61991 Strategies for prevention of osteoporosis and hip fracture BMJ 303:453–459., ,
- 71997 Physical activity and predisposition for hip fractures: A review Osteoporos Int 7:503–513., ,
- 81988 Physical activity and fracture risk in a free-living elderly cohort J Gerontol 43:M134–M139., , , , ,
- 91995 Lifetime leisure exercise and osteoporosis: The Rancho Bernardo study Am J Epidemiol 141:951–959., , , ,
- 101992 Risk factors for fractures of the distal forearm and proximal humerus: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group [published erratum appears in 1992 Am J Epidemiol 135:1183] Am J Epidemiol 135:477–489., , , ,
- 111996 Predictors of ankle and foot fractures in older women J Bone Miner Res 11:1347–1355., , ,
- 121992 Physical activity and fractures over the age of fifty years Int Orthop 16:87–91., ,
- 131987 Bone fractures among former college athletes compared with nonathletes in the menopausal and postmenopausal years Obstet Gynecol 69:121–126., , , ,
- 141993 Physical activity and bone mass: Exercises in futility? Bone Miner 21:89–112.,
- 151995 Exercise and bone mineral density Sports Med 19:103–122., ,
- 161991 Association between blood pressure and serum lipids in a population: The Tromso Study Circulation 83:1305–1314.,
- 171976 The Tromso heart study: Methods and main results of the cross-sectional study Acta Med Scand 200:107–118., , ,
- 181992 The Tromso study: Physical fitness, self-reported physical activity, and their relationship to other coronary risk factors J Epidemiol Commun Health 46:103–107.,
- 191981 Physical activity at work and at leisure in relation to coronary risk factors and social class: A 4-year mortality follow-up: The Oslo study Acta Med Scand 209:277–283., , , ,
- 20SAS INSTITUTE 1992 SAS/STAT Guide for Personal Computers, Version 6 edition. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, U.S.A.
- 211996 What do Norwegian women and men know about osteoporosis? Osteoporos Int 6:31–36., , , ,
- 221991 Reliability of long-term recall of participation in physical activity by middle-aged men and women Am J Epidemiol 133:266–275., , , , , , ,
- 231993 A simultaneous evaluation of 10 commonly used physical activity questionnaires Med Sci Sports Exerc 25:81–91., , ,
- 241995 Modern Epidemiology, Little, Brown and Company, Boston, MA, U.S.A.
- 251994 Interaction between current smoking, leanness, and physical inactivity in the prediction of hip fracture J Bone Miner Res 9:1671–1678., , , , , ,
- 261993 Bone mineral density and long term exercise: An overview of cross-sectional athlete studies Sports Med 16:316–330.
- 271995 Risk factors for hip fracture in European women: The MEDOS study J Bone Miner Res 10:1802–1815., , et al.
- 281994 Bone mineral density and risk factors for osteoporosis—A population-based study of 1600 perimenopausal women Calcif Tissue Int 55:1–7., , , ,
- 291993 Factors associated with appendicular bone mass in older women: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group Ann Intern Med 118:657–665., , et al.
- 301995 Estrogen replacement therapy and fractures in older women Ann Intern Med 122:9–16., , , , ,
- 311996 Reducing frailty and falls in older persons: an investigation of Tai Chi and computerized balance training. Atlanta FICSIT Group. Frailty and Injuries: Cooperative Studies of Intervention Techniques J Am Geriatr Soc 44:489–497., , , , ,
- 321995 The effects of exercise on falls in elderly patients: A preplanned meta-analysis of the FICSIT Trials. Frailty and Injuries: Cooperative Studies of Intervention Techniques JAMA 273:1341–1347., , , , , , , , ,
- 331990 High-intensity strength training in nonagenarians: Effects on skeletal muscle JAMA 263:3029–3034., , , , ,
- 341993 Risk factors for injurious falls leading to hospitalization or death in a cohort of 19,500 adults Am J Epidemiol 138:384–394., , , ,
- 351996 Fall biomechanics and osteoporotic fracture occurrence at the proximal femur: Implications for the prevention of fall-related injuries J Orthop Rheumatol 9:181–186., , et al.
- 361994 Type of fall and risk of hip and wrist fractures: The study of osteoporotic fractures J Am Geriatr Soc 41:1226–1234.,