Changes in Bone Turnover Markers and Menstrual Function After Short-term Oral DHEA in Young Women with Anorexia Nervosa
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 1, pages 136–145, January 1999
How to Cite
Gordon, C. M., Grace, E., Jean Emans, S., Goodman, E., Crawford, M. H. and Leboff, M. S. (1999), Changes in Bone Turnover Markers and Menstrual Function After Short-term Oral DHEA in Young Women with Anorexia Nervosa. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 136–145. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19184.108.40.206
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 1998
- Manuscript Revised: 13 AUG 1998
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 1998
- 11991 The clinical course of osteoporosis in anorexia nervosa. JAMA 265:1133–1138., , , ,
- 21993 Calcium supplementation and bone mineral density in adolescent girls. JAMA 270:841–844., , , , , , , ,
- 31993 Spine and total body bone mineral density in amenorrheic athletes. Appl Physiol 74:2904–2908.
- 41987 Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical activity in anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Psychoneuroendocrinology 12:131–140., , , , , ,
- 51989 Mechanism of osteoporosis in adult and adolescent women with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 68:548–554., , , , ,
- 61983 Subnormal plasma dehydroepiandrosterone to cortisol ratio in anorexia nervosa: A second hormonal parameter of ontogenic regression. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 56:668–671., , , , , ,
- 71987 Adrenal androgen secretion and dopaminergic activity in anorexia nervosa. Horm Metab Res 20:57–60., , , , ,
- 81996 Effects of short-term recombinant human insulin-like growth factor administration on bone turnover in osteopenic women with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:3864–3870., , , , ,
- 91991 Bone density in adolescents. N Engl J Med 325:1646–1647.
- 101990 Decreased bone density in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa. Pediatrics 86:440–447., , , ,
- 111980 Sex differences in the 24-hour mean plasma concentrations of dehydroisoiandrosterone (DHA) and dehydroisoandorsterone sulfate (DHAS) and the DHA to DHAS ratio in normal adults. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 51:330–333., , , ,
- 121990 The effects of oral dehydroepiandrosterone on endocrine-metabolic parameters in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 71:696–704.,
- 131984 Age changes and sex differences in serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentrations throughout childhood. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 59:551–555., , ,
- 141996 Delivery of dehydroepiandrosterone to premenopausal women: Effects of micronization and administration. Am J Obstet Gynecol 174:649–653., , , , ,
- 151989 Persistence of increased bone resorption and possible role of dehydroepiandrosterone as a bone metabolism determinant in osteoporotic women in late post-menopause. Maturitas 11:65–73., , ,
- 161989 Sex steroids and bone density in premenopausal and perimenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 69:533–539., , , , , , , ,
- 171993 Preliminary findings on the effects of sex hormones on bone metabolism in anorexia nervosa. J Adolesc Health 14:319–324., , ,
- 181995 The effects of estrogen administration on trabecular bone loss in young women with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:898–904., , , ,
- 191996 Comparison of the effects of estrogen alone and estrogen plus androgen on biochemical markers of bone formation and resorption in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:37–43., , , , , , ,
- 201995 Development and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of older children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 95:336–339., ,
- 211961 An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 4:561–571., , , ,
- 221983 Measuring severity and change in anorexia nervosa. Adolescence 70:293–305., ,
- 231982 The eating attitudes test: Psychometric features and clinical correlates. Psychol Med 12:871–878., , ,
- 24Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA, U.S.A., , , ,
- 25National Center for Health Statistics: Height and Weigh of Youth United States 1973 Vital Health Statistics, Vol 11(124). Health Services and Mental Health Administration, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- 261995 Reproducibility of DXA absorptiometry: A model for bone loss estimates. J Bone Miner Res 10:1004–1014., , , ,
- 271997 Serum bone alkaline phosphatase isoenzyme levels in normal children and children with growth hormone deficiency: A potential marker for bone formation and response to GH therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:2056–2061., , , , , , ,
- 281996 Hormone replacement therapy in the aged: A state of the art review. Drugs Aging 8:193–213.,
- 291989 Osteopenia in men with a history of delayed puberty. N Engl J Med 326:600–604., , , ,
- 301995 Bone mass in androgen-insensitivity syndrome: Response to hormonal replacement therapy. Calcif Tissue Int 57:94–96., , ,
- 311974 Menstrual cycles: fatness as a determinant of minimum weight necessary for the maintenance or onset. Science 185:949–951.,
- 321980 Human fatty marrow aromatizes androgens to estrogens. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 51:367–372., ,
- 331998 Predominant androgenic component in the stimulatory effect of dehydroepiandrosterone on bone mineral density in the rat. J Endocrinol 157:433–442., , , , , , , ,
- 341991 Intracrinology. Mol Cell Endocrinol 78:C113–C118.
- 351997 Gonadal and adrenal androgens are potent regulators of human bone cell metabolism in vitro. J Bone Miner Res 12:464–471., , ,
- 361997 Effect of 12-month dehydroepiandrosterone replacement therapy on bone, vagina and endometrium in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:3498–3505., , , , ,
- 371997 Bone mineral density in children and adolescents: relation to puberty, calcium intake, and physical activity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:57–62., , , ,
- 381993 Cytokines and estrogen in bone: Antiosteoporotic effects. Science 260:626–627.
- 391992 17β-estradiol inhibits interleukin-6 production by bone marrow-derived stromal cells and osteoblasts in vitro: A potential mechanism for the antiosteoporotic effect of estrogens. J Clin Invest 89:883–891., , , , , ,
- 401997 Marked decline in serum concentrations of adrenal C19 sex steroid precursors and conjugated androgen metabolites during aging. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:2396–2402., , , ,
- 411994 Insulin-like growth factors and bone: The osteoporosis connection. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 206:83–102., ,
- 421989 The role of growth factors in skeletal remodeling. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 18:903–918., ,
- 431992 The effect of anorexia nervosa and refeeding on growth hormone binding protein, the insulin-like growth factors (Igs) and the IGF-binding proteins. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:762–767., , , ,
- 441989 Regulatory effects of insulin-like growth factors-I and II on bone collagen synthesis in rat calvarial cultures. Endocrinology 124:301–309., ,
- 451988 Effects of bone-associated growth factors on DNA, collagen and osteocalcin synthesis in cultured fetal rat calvariae. Bone 9:243–246.,
- 461994 Effects of replacement dose dehydroepiandrosterone in men and women of advancing age. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78:1360–1367., , ,
- 471988 Estrogen may mediate its effects on bone cells by signaling the observation of growth factors. J Bone Miner Res 3:A552., , , ,
- 481988 Estradiol stimulation of osteoblast proliferation in vitro: Mediator roles for TGF β, PGF2, IGF1. Calcif Tissue Res 42:117., , ,
- 491996 Metabolic effects of 12-month DHEA replacement therapy in postmenopausal women. J Endocrinol 150:S43–S50., , , ,
- 501980 Statistical flaws in evidence for the Frisch hypothesis that fatness triggers menarche. Hum Biol 52:711–720.
- 511997 Resumption of menses in anorexia nervosa. Arch Adolesc Pediatr Med 151:16–21., , , ,
- 521997 Resumption of menses in anorexia: New research findings and their clinical implications. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 151:14–15.
- 531993 Biochemical markers of bone turnover. J Bone Miner Res 8:549–556.