Primary Hyperparathyroidism and the Risk of Fracture: A Population-Based Study
Article first published online: 1 OCT 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 10, pages 1700–1707, October 1999
How to Cite
Khosla, S., Melton, L. J., Wermers, R. A., Crowson, C. S., O'Fallon, W. M. and Riggs, B. L. (1999), Primary Hyperparathyroidism and the Risk of Fracture: A Population-Based Study. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 1700–1707. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19184.108.40.2060
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 1999
- Manuscript Revised: 18 APR 1999
- Manuscript Received: 22 DEC 1998
- 11971 A. plethora of primary hyperparathyroidism Arch Surg 103:12–13.,
- 21980 Primary hyperparathyroidism: Incidence, morbidity, and potential economic impact in a community N Engl J Med 302:189–193., ,
- 31997 The rise and fall of primary hyperparathyroidism: A population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1965–92 Ann Intern Med 126:433–440., , , , ,
- 4National Institutes of Health 1991 Consensus development conference statement on primary hyperparathyroidism J Bone Miner Res 6:S9–S13.
- 51998 Survival after the diagnosis of hyperparathyroidism: A population-based study Am J Med 104:115–122., , , , , ,
- 61997 Primary hyperparathyroidism: Still evolving? J Bone Miner Res 12:856–862.,
- 71996 History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project Mayo Clin Proc 71:266–274.
- 81997 The threat to medical-records research N Engl J Med 337:1466–1470.
- 91981 The patient record in epidemiology Sci Am 245:54–63.,
- 101992 Incidence of clinically diagnosed vertebral fractures: A population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1985–89 J Bone Miner Res 7:221–227., , ,
- 111998 Long-term trends in the incidence of distal forearm fractures Osteoporos Int 8:341–348., , ,
- 121996 Downturn in hip fractures incidence Pub Health Rep 111:146–150., ,
- 131982 Epidemiologic features of humeral fractures Clin Orthop 168:24–30., , , ,
- 141981 Epidemiologic features of pelvic fractures Clin Orthop 155:43–47., , ,
- 151999 Fracture incidence in Olmsted County, Minnesota: Comparison of urban with rural rates and changes in urban rates over time Osteoporos Int 9:29–37., ,
- 161853 Some simple approximate tests for Poisson variates Biometrika 40:354–360.
- 171958 Non-parametric estimation from incomplete observations J Am Stat Assoc 53:457–481.,
- 181980 Anonymous the Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, U.S.A.,
- 191972 Regression models and life-tables (with discussion) J Royal Stat Soc 34B:187–220.
- 201992 Risk of age-related fractures in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism Arch Intern Med 152:2269–2273., , ,
- 211993 The risk of hip fractures in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism: A population-based cohort study with a follow-up of 19 years J Intern Med 234:585–593., , , , ,
- 221989 Increased fracture risk in hypercalcemia: Bone mineral content measured in hyperparathyroidism Acta Orthop Scand 60:268–270., , , ,
- 231975 Back pain and vertebral crush fractures: An unemphasized mode of presentation for primary hyperparathyroidism Ann Intern Med 83:365–367., ,
- 241988 Mild asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism is not a risk factor for vertebral fractures Ann Intern Med 109:959–962., , , ,
- 251987 What is the clinical significance of bone loss in primary hyperparathyroidism? Arch Intern Med 147:1951–1953., , , , , ,
- 261995 Fracture incidence in postmenopausal women with primary hyperparathyroidism Surgery 118:109–114., , , ,
- 271989 Skeletal disease in primary hyperparathyroidism J Bone Miner Res 4:283–291., , , , , , , , ,
- 281990 Relationship between forearm and vertebral mineral density in postmenopausal women with primary hyperparathyroidism Arch Intern Med 150:1329–1331., , ,
- 291982 Differential effects of endocrine dysfunction on the axial and the appendicular skeleton J Clin Invest 69:1302–1309., , , , ,
- 301992 Serum levels of intact parathyroid hormone and alkaline phosphatase correlate with cortical and trabecular bone loss in primary hyperparathyroidism Acta Endocrinol 127:319–323., , , ,
- 311996 Longitudinal changes in bone mineral density and bone turnover in postmenopausal women with primary hyperparathyroidism J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:3487–3491., ,
- 321987 Trabecular and cortical bone in the radii of women with parathyroid adenomata: A greater trabecular deficit, with a preliminary assessment of recovery after parathyroidectomy Bone Miner 2:301–310., , , ,
- 331996 Vertebral osteopenia: A new indication for surgery in primary hyperparathyroidism J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:4007–4012., ,
- 341982 Changes in bone mineral density of the proximal femur and spine with aging: Differences between the postmenopausal and senile osteoporosis syndromes J Clin Invest 70:716–723., , , , , , ,
- 351989 Unequal decrease in bone density of lumbar spine and ultradistal radius in Colles' and vertebral fracture syndromes J Clin Invest 83:168–174., , , , ,
- 361988 Concurrent assays of circulating bone Gla-protein and bone alkaline phosphatase: Effects of sex, age, and metabolic bone disease J Clin Endocrinol Metab 66:951–957., , , , ,
- 371992 Urinary hydroxypyridinium cross-links of collagen in primary hyperparathyroidism J Clin Endocrinol Metab 74:481–486., , , , ,
- 381991 Bone alkaline phosphatase in primary hyperparathyroidism J Bone Miner Res 6:A624., , ,
- 391996 Drug therapy for vertebral fractures in osteoporosis: Evidence that decreases in bone turnover and increases in bone mass both determine antifracture efficacy Bone 18:197S–201S., ,
- 401996 Markers of bone resorption predict hip fracture in elderly women: The EPIDOS Prospective Study J Bone Miner Res 11:1531–1538., , , , , , , , ,
- 411984 Age-related structural changes in trabecular and cortical bone: Cellular mechanisms and biomechanical consequences Calcif Tissue Int 36:S123–S128.
- 421992 Bone strength: The bottom line Calcif Tissue Int 51:333–339.
- 431995 Bone structure in postmenopausal hyperparathyroid, osteoporotic, and normal women J Bone Miner Res 10:1393–1399., , , , , , , , ,
- 441990 The histomorphometry of bone in primary hyperparathyroidism: Preservation of cancellous bone structure J Clin Endocrinol Metab 70:930–938., , , , , ,
- 451992 Maintenance of cancellous bone connectivity in primary hyperparathyroidism: Trabecular strut analysis J Bone Miner Res 7:913–919., , , , , ,
- 461995 Increased bone mineral density after parathyroidectomy in primary hyperparathyroidism J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:729–734., , , , , , ,
- 471998 Prevention of estrogen deficiency-related bone loss with human parathyroid hormone-(1–34): A randomized controlled trial JAMA 280:1067–1073., , , , ,
- 481997 Randomised controlled study of effect of parathyroid hormone on vertebral-bone mass and fracture incidence among postmenopausal women on oestrogen with osteoporosis Lancet 350:550–555., , , , , , ,
- 491993 Anabolic actions of parathyroid hormone on bone Endocr Rev 14:690–709., , , ,
- 501982 Parathyroid hormone stimulates the bone apposition rate independently of its resorptive action: Differential effects of intermittent and continuous administration Endocrinology 110:506–512., , ,
- 511988 Insulin-like growth factor I mediates selective anabolic effects of parathyroid hormone in bone cultures J Clin Invest 83:60–65., , ,
- 521997 Editorial: Parathyroid hormone and osteocalcin—When friends become strangers Endocrinology 138:3083–3084.