Growth Factor Regulation of Fracture Repair
Article first published online: 1 NOV 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 11, pages 1805–1815, November 1999
How to Cite
Barnes, G. L., Kostenuik, P. J., Gerstenfeld, L. C. and Einhorn, T. A. (1999), Growth Factor Regulation of Fracture Repair. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 1805–1815. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1918.104.22.1685
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 1999
- 11998 The cell and molecular biology of fracture healing Clin Orthop 355S:S7–S21.
- 21991 Early histological and ultrastructural changes in medullary fracture callus J Bone Joint Surg Am 73:832–847.,
- 31998 Regulation of fracture repair by growth factors Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 200:165–170.
- 41995 The expression of cytokine activity by fracture callus J Bone Miner Res 10:1272–1281., , , ,
- 51997 Localization and quantification of proliferating cells during rat fracture repair: Detection of proliferating cell nuclear antigen by immunohistochemistry J Bone Miner Res 12:96–102., , , , , ,
- 61978 The biology of fracture healing in long bones J Bone Joint Surg Br 60-B:150–162.
- 71989 In situ localization of collagen production by chondrocytes and osteblasts in fracture callus J Bone Joint Surg Am 71:69–77., , , ,
- 81989 Neutral protein-degrading enzymes in experimental fracture callus: A preliminary report J Orthop Res 7:792–805., , , , ,
- 91994 Calcium-dependent neutral protease (Calpain) in fracture healing in rats J Orthop Res 12:58–69., , , , ,
- 101996 Growth factors for bone growth and repair: IGF, TGF-β, and BMP Bone 19:1S–12S., ,
- 111996 Growth factors as therapeutic agents J Bone Joint Surg Am 78:1272–1286., , , ,
- 121996 Basic fibroblast growth factor for stimulation of bone formation in osteinductive or conductive implants Acta Orthop Scand 67:1–33.
- 131986 Growth factors in bone matrix: Isolation of multiple types by affinity chromatography on heparin-sepharose J Biol Chem 261:12665–12674., , , ,
- 141989 Fibroblast growth factors Br Med Bull 45:438–452.,
- 151991 Extracellular matrix-resident basic fibroblast growth factor: Implication for the control of angiogenesis J Cell Biochem 45:167–176., , , , , ,
- 161991 Structural diversity and binding of FGF receptors Ann NY Acad Sci 638:161–166., ,
- 171992 Complexity of FGF receptors: Genetic basis for structural diversity and functional specificity FASEB J 6:3362–3369.,
- 181990 Acidic fibroblast growth factor (aFGF) injection stimulates cartilage enlargement and inhibits cartilage gene expression in rat fracture healing J Orthop Res 8:364–371., , , ,
- 191988 Effects of basic fibroblast growth factor on bone formation in vitro J Clin Invest 81:1572–1577., ,
- 201987 Growth stimulation of rat calvaria osteoblastic cells by acidic fibroblast growth factor Endocrinology 121:1917–1923., , ,
- 211991 Growth factors and cytokines in bone cell metabolism Ann Rev Med 42:17–24., ,
- 221998 Recombinant human basic fibroblast growth factor accelerates fracture healing by enhancing callus remodeling in experimental dog tibial fractures J Bone Miner Res 13:942–949., , , , , ,
- 231994 Stimulation of fracture repair by recombinant human basic fibroblast growth factor in normal and streptozotocin-diabetic rats Endocrinology 135:774–781., , , , , ,
- 241999 A novel formulation of FGF-2 in a hyaluronan gel accelerates fracture healing in non-human primates J Orthop Res 17:607–614., , , , ,
- 251995 Exogenous fibroblast growth factors-1 and -2 do not accelerate fracture healing in the rabbit Acta Orthop Scand 66:543–548., ,
- 261998 Potential role of fibroblast growth factor in enhancement of fracture healing Clin Orthop 355(Supp):S283–S293., , ,
- 271997 Stimulation of bone formation by intraosseous application of recombinant basic fibroblast growth factor in normal and ovariectomized rabbits J Orthop Res 15:307–313., , , , , , ,
- 281998 Signal transduction via platelet-derived growth factor receptors Biochim Biophys Acta 1378:F79–F113., ,
- 291995 Platelet-derived growth factor expression in normally healing human fractures Bone 16:455–460., , ,
- 301985 A significant part of macrophage derived growth factor consists of at least two forms of PDGF Cell 43:277–286., , , , ,
- 311994 Effect of platelt-derived growth factor on tibial osteotomies in rabbits Bone 15:203–208., , , , ,
- 321993 Platelet derived growth factor inhibits bone regeneration induced by osteogenin, a bone morphogenetic protein, in rat craniotomy defects J Clin Invest 92:2897–2905., , , ,
- 331994 The TGFβ superfamily: New members, new receptors, and new genetic tests of function in different organisms Genes Dev 8:133–146.
- 341994 The TGF-β family and its composite receptors Trends Cell Biol 4:172–178., ,
- 351990 The transforming growth factor-beta family Ann Rev Cell Biol 6:597–641.
- 361992 Receptors for the TGF-beta family Cell 69:1067–1070.
- 371998 Smads: Transcriptional activators of TGF-β responses Cell 95:737–740., ,
- 381990 Transforming growth factor-β in the regulation of fracture repair Orthop Clin North Am 21:199–209., ,
- 391991 TGF-β1 induces bone closure of skull defects J Bone Miner Res 6:1257–1265., , , , , ,
- 401993 Transforming growth factor-β enhances fracture healing in rabbit tibiae Acta Orthop Scand 64:553–556., , , , ,
- 411994 Local injection of TGF-β increases the strength of tibial fractures in the rat Acta Orthop Scand 65:37–41., , ,
- 421995 The effect of exogenous transforming growth factor-β2 on healing fractures in the rabbit Bone 16:521–527., ,
- 431996 Limited chondro-osteogenesis by recombinant human transforming growth factor-β1 in calvarial defects of adult baboons (Papio ursinus) J Bone Miner Res 11:938–945., , , , ,
- 441997 Development of tricalcium phosphate/amylopectin paste combined with recombinant human transforming growth factor beta 1 as a bone defect filler J Biomed Mater Res 36:293–305., , , , , , ,
- 451996 Bone morphogenetic proteins: Multifunctional regulators of veretebrate development Genes Dev 10:1580–1594.
- 461998 Bone morphogenetic proteins: From basic studies to clinical approaches Bone 22:591–603.
- 471965 Bone formation by autoinduction Science 150:893–899.
- 481997 TGF-β signalling from cell membrane to nucleus through SMAD proteins Nature 390:465–471., ,
- 491998 Noggin, cartilage morphogenesis, and joint formation in the mammalian skeleton Science 280:1455–1457., , ,
- 501998 Bone morphogenetic proteins induce the expression of noggin, which limits their activity in cultured rat osteoblasts J Clin Invest 102:2106–2114., ,
- 511995 Enhanced expression of type I receptors for bone morphogenetic proteins during bone formation J Bone Miner Res 10:1651–1659., , , , , , , , ,
- 521998 Distinct and overlapping patterns of localization of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family members and a BMP type II receptor during fracture healing in rats Bone 22:605–612., , , , , , , ,
- 531994 Transient and localized expression of bone morphogenetic protein 4 messenger RNA during fracture healing J Bone Miner Res 9:651–659., , , , , , , ,
- 541998 Expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in fracture healing Clin Orthop 355(Supp):S116–S123.
- 551984 The healing of segmental bone defects induced by demineralized bone matrix J Bone Joint Surg AM 66:274–279., , , ,
- 561988 Repair of segmental defects of the tibia with cancellous bone grafts augmented with human bone morphogenetic protein Clin Orthop 236:249–257., ,
- 571988 Bone morphogenetic protein augmentation grafting of resistant femoral nonunions Clin Orthop 230:257–265., ,
- 581992 Resistant nonunions and partial or complete segmental defects of long bones Clin Orthop 277:229–237., ,
- 591991 The use of bone morphogenetic protein in the treatment of non-union in a canine model J Bone Joint Surg Am 730:750–764., , ,
- 601994 Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-7 induces healing in a canine long-bone segmental defect model Clin Orthop 301:302–312., , , ,
- 611994 The effect of recombinant human osteogenic protein-1 on healing of large segmental bone defects J Bone Joint Surg Am 76:827–838., , , , ,
- 621992 The healing of segmental bone defects, induced by recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein (rhBMP-2) J Bone Joint Surg Am 74:659–671., , , , ,
- 631993 Healing segmental femoral defects in sheep using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein Clin Orthop 293:317–326., , , , , , ,
- 641996 The use of bone morphogenetic protein-2 in the rabbit ulnar non-union model Clin Orthop 327:272–282., , , , , , , ,
- 651994 The effect of osteogenin (a bone morphogenetic protein) on the formation of bone in orthotopic segmental defects in rats J Bone Joint Surg Am 76:1676–1687., , , ,
- 661992 Initiation of bone regeneration in adult baboons by osteogenin, a bone morphogenetic protein Matrix 12:369–380., , , ,
- 671997 TGF-β signalling through the Smad pathway Trends Cell Biol 7:187–192., ,
- 681998 Sequential expression of bone morphogenetic protein, tumor necrosis factor, and their receptors in bone-forming reaction after mouse femoral marrow ablation Bone 23:127–133., , , , , ,
- 691994 Jak-STAT pathways and transcriptional activation in response to IFNs and other extracellular signalling proteins Science 257:803–806., ,
- 701995 Transcriptional responses to polypeptide ligands: The JAK-STAT pathway Ann Rev Biochem 64:621–651.,
- 711999 Nuclear fusion of signaling pathways Science 284:443–444.,
- 721999 Synergistic signaling in fetal brain by STAT3-Smad1 complex bridged by p300 Science 284:479–482., , , , , , ,
- 731998 Tumor necrosis factor. In: ThomsonA (ed.) The Cytokine Handbook, 3rd Ed. Academic Press Limited, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 517–548.,
- 741998 Interleukin-1. In: ThomsonA (ed.) The Cytokine Handbook, 3rd Ed. Academic Press Limited, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 36–72.