Collagen and Bone Strength
Article first published online: 1 MAR 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 3, pages 330–335, March 1999
How to Cite
Boskey, A. L., Wright, T. M. and Blank, R. D. (1999), Collagen and Bone Strength. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 330–335. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19184.108.40.2060
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 1999
- 11989 The relative effects of collagen fiber orientation, porosity, density, and mineralization on bone strength J Biomech 22:419–426.,
- 21988 The effect of porosity and mineral content on the Young's modulus of elasticity of compact bone J Biomech 21:131–139.
- 31975 Contribution of collagen and mineral to the elastic-plastic properties of bone J Bone Joint Surg Am 57:956–961., , ,
- 41993 The effects of collagen fiber orientation, porosity, density, and mineralization on bovine cortical bone bending properties J Biomech 26:1047–1054.,
- 51993 Aging and strength of bone as a structural material Calcif Tissue Int 53 (Suppl. 1):S34–S39.
- 61995 The strength of a calcified tissue depends in part on the molecular structure and organization of its constituent mineral crystals in their organic matrix Bone 16:533–544.
- 71995 Effect of decalcification on bone mineral content and bending strength of feline femur Calcif Tissue Int 56:78–82., , , , ,
- 81973 Genetic factors in determining bone mass J Clin Invest 52:2800–2808., , , ,
- 91986 Bone mineral, serum calcium, and dietary intakes of mother/daughter pairs Am J Clin Nutr 44:99–106.
- 101986 Familial resemblance of bone mass in adult women Genet Epidemiol 3:85–93., ,
- 111987 Genetic determinants of bone mineral content at the spine and radius: A twin study Bone 8:207–209., , , ,
- 121987 Genetic determinants of bone mass in adults J Clin Invest 80:706–710., , , , ,
- 131988 The effects of race and body habitus on bone mineral density of the radius, hip, and spine in premenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol Metab 66:1247–1250., , , ,
- 141989 Ethnic and genetic differences in bone mass: A review with a herediary versus environmental perspective Am J Clin Nutr 50:1244–1259.,
- 151989 Heritability of bone mass: A longitudinal study in aging male twins Am J Hum Genet 44:429–433., , ,
- 161989 Reduced bone mass in daughters of women with osteoporosis N Engl J Med 320:554–558., , , , , ,
- 171990 Mother-daughter pairs: Spinal and femoral bone densities and dietary intakes Am J Clin Nutr 52:872–877.,
- 181994 Reduced femoral neck bone density in the daughters of women with hip fractures: The role of low peak bone density in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 9:739–743., , , ,
- 191996 Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice Bone 18:397–403., , ,
- 201997 Linkage of a gene causing high bone mass to human chromosome 11 (11q12–13) [see comments] Am J Hum Genet 60:1326–1332., , , , ,
- 21Das Gesetz der Transformation der Knochen. Hirschwald, Berlin, Germany.
- 221997 Osteoporosis: Medical prevention and treatment Spine 22:32S–37S.
- 231990 Bone mineral and matrix: Are they altered in osteoporosis? Orthop Clin North Am 21:19–29.
- 241992 Post-translational modifications in the collagen of human osteoporotic femoral head Biochem Biophys Res Commun 185:801–805., , ,
- 251996 Reduced concentration of collagen reducible cross-links in human trabecular bone with respect to age and osteoporosis Bone 19:479–484., ,
- 261997 Alteration in the extent of collagen I hydroxylation, isolated from femoral heads of women with a femoral neck fracture caused by osteoporosis Calcif Tissue Int 60:501–505., , ,
- 271991 Mutation in a gene for type I procollagen (COL1A2) in a woman with postmenopausal osteoporosis: Evidence for phenotypic and genotypic overlap with mild osteogenesis imperfecta Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88:5423–5427., , , , ,
- 281999 Do more highly organized collagen fibrils increase bone mechanical strength in loss of mineral density after one-year running training? J Bone Miner Res 14:321–329., , , , , , , ,
- 291997 The human type I collagen mutation database Nucleic Acids Res 25:181–187.
- 30A database of human type I and type 3 collagen mutations (http://www.le.ac.uk/genetics/collagen/). University of Leicester, Leicester, U.K.
- 311989 Osteoporosis and familial idiopathic scoliosis: Association with an abnormal alpha 2 (I) collagen Connect Tissue Res 21:117–123., , , ,
- 321992 An osteopenic nonfracture syndrome with features of mild osteogenesis imperfecta associated with the substitution of a cysteine for glycine at triple helix position 43 in the pro alpha 1 (I) chain of type I collagen J Clin Invest 89:567–573., , , , , ,
- 331994 Mutation analysis of coding sequences for type I procollagen in individuals with low bone density J Bone Miner Res 9:923–932., , , , , , , , ,
- 341994 Bone density in osteogenesis imperfecta may well be normal [see comments] Postgrad Med J 70:104–107.,
- 351993 Defective proα2 (I) collagen synthesis in a recessive mutation in mice: A model of human osteogenesis imperfecta Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90:1701–1705., , , , , , , ,
- 361996 Heterozygous oim mice exhibit a mild form of osteogenesis imperfecta Bone 19:575–579., , , , ,
- 371988 Perinatal lethal osteogenesis imperfecta in transgenic mice bearing an engineered mutant pro-alpha 1 (I) collagen gene Nature 332:131–136., , , , ,
- 381995 Bone fragility in transgenic mice expressing a mutated gene for type I procollagen (COL1A1): Parallels the age-dependent phenotype of human osteogenesis imperfecta J Bone Miner Res 10:1837–1843., , ,
- 391996 Mineral changes in a mouse model of osteogenesis imperfecta detected by Fourier transform infrared microscopy Connect Tissue Res 35:259–265., ,
- 401997 Type I collagen mutation alters the strength and fatigue behavior of Mov13 cortical tissue J Biomech 30:1141–1147., , , , ,
- 411999 The material basis for reduced mechanical properties in oim mice bones J Bone Miner Res, , , , , , ,
- 421984 Heritable diseases of collagen N Engl J Med 311:376–386.,
- 431993 Mutations in type 1 procollagen that cause osteogenesis imperfecta: Effects of the mutations on the assembly of collagen into fibrils, the basis of phenotypic variations, and potential antisense therapies J Bone Miner Res 8 (Suppl. 2):S489–S492., , , , ,
- 441997 The Nicholas Andry Award-1996. The molecular pathology of osteogenesis imperfecta Clin Orthop Oct(343):235–248.
- 451981 The morbid anatomy of the skeleton in osteogenesis imperfecta Clin Orthop Sep(159):42–57., ,
- 461991 Changes in apatite crystal size in bones of patients with osteogenesis imperfecta Calcif Tissue Int 49:248–250., , , ,
- 471994 Ultrastructural studies of bones from patients with osteogenesis imperfecta Matrix Biol 14:337–345., , ,
- 481996 Pyridoxine deficiency affects biomechanical properties of chick tibial bone Bone 18:567–574., , , , , ,
- 491993 Impaired mechanical strength of bone in experimental copper deficiency Ann Nutr Metab 37:245–252., , , , ,
- 501998 Relation of alleles of the collagen type I α1 gene to bone density and the risk of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women [see comments] N Engl J Med 338:1016–1021., , , , , , , , ,
- 511996 Are vitamin D receptor polymorphisms associated with bone mineral density? A meta-analysis [see comments] J Bone Miner Res 11:1841–1849.,
- 521996 Genetic studies of complex diseases: Let the reader beware [editorial] J Bone Miner Res 11:1835–1840.,
- 531987 Changes in the mineral density distribution in human bone with age: Image analysis using backscattered electrons in the SEM J Bone Miner Res 2:13–22.,
- 541996 FTIR microspectroscopic analysis of human osteonal bone Calcif Tissue Int 59:480–487., , , , ,
- 551997 FTIR microspectroscopic analysis of normal human cortical and trabecular bone Calcif Tissue Int 61:480–486., , , ,
- 561997 FTIR microspectroscopic analysis of human iliac crest biopsies from untreated osteoporotic bone Calcif Tissue Int 61:487–492., , , ,
- 571998 Infrared microspectroscopic imaging of biomineralized tissues using a mercury-cadmium-telluride focal-plane array detector Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 44:109–115., , , , ,
- 581999 Organic matrix alterations in osteoporosis Connect Tissue Res, , , , ,
- 591993 Mechanical implications of collagen fibre orientation in cortical bone of the equine radius Anat Embryol (Berlin) 187:239–248., , , ,
- 601996 Collagen fiber organization is related to mechanical properties and remodeling in equine bone: A comparison of two methods J Biomech 29:1515–1521., , , ,
- 611995 Pattern of collagen fiber orientation in the ovine calcaneal shaft and its relation to locomotor-induced strain Anat Rec 242:147–158., ,
- 621976 Bone compressive strength: The influence of density and strain rate Science 194:1174–1176.,
- 631991 The underestimation of Young's modulus in compressive testing of cancellous bone specimens J Biomech 24:691–698.,
- 641993 Theoretical analysis of the experimental artifact in trabecular bone compressive modulus J Biomech 26:599–607., , ,
- 651997 Systematic and random errors in compression testing of trabecular bone J Orthop Res 15:101–110., , , ,
- 661989 Tensile testing of rodlike trabeculae excised from bovine femoral bone J Biomech 22:351–355.,
- 671992 A comparison of the fatigue behavior of human trabecular and cortical bone tissue J Biomech 25:1371–1381.,
- 681997 Dependence of trabecular damage on mechanical strain J Orthop Res 15:781–787.,
- 691989 X-ray quantitative computed tomography: The relations to physical properties of proximal tibial trabecular bone specimens J Biomech 22:837–844., , , ,
- 701994 Non-invasive bone biopsy: A new method to analyse and display the three-dimensional structure of trabecular bone Phys Med Biol 39:145–164., ,
- 711997 Nondestructive determination of iliac crest cancellous bone strength by pQCT Bone 21:535–540., ,
- 721997 Three-dimensional methods for quantification of cancellous bone architecture Bone 20:315–328.
- 731993 Ultrasound study of bone in vitro Calcif Tissue Int 53 (Suppl. 1):S157–S161.
- 741998 Relationships between bone morphology and bone elastic properties can be accurately quantified using high-resolution computer reconstructions J Orthop Res 16:23–28., , ,
- 751992 The effect of specimen geometry on the mechanical behaviour of trabecular bone specimens J Biomech 25:359–368., ,
- 761998 Biomechanical topography of human articular cartilage in the first metatarsophalangeal joint Clin Orthop Mar(348):269–281., , , ,
- 771998 Micromechanical properties of epiphyseal trabecular bone and primary spongiosa around the physis: An in situ nanoindentation study [in process citation] J Pediatr Orthop 18:582–585., , , ,
- 781998 Prostaglandin E2 increases bone strength in intact rats and in ovariectomized rats with established osteopenia [in process citation] Bone 23:249–255., , , , , , , , ,
- 791997 Age variations in the properties of human tibial trabecular bone J Bone Joint Surg Br 79:995–1002., , , , ,
- 80Mineral and matrix. In: FeldmanD, JowseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 480–487.,
- 811987 Studies on EDTA extracts and collagenase digests from osteoporotic cancellous bone of the femoral head Clin Biochem 20:221–224., ,