New Developments in the Pathogenesis and Treatment of Steroid-Induced Osteoporosis
Article first published online: 1 JUL 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 1061–1066, July 1999
How to Cite
Manolagas, S. C. and Weinstein, R. S. (1999), New Developments in the Pathogenesis and Treatment of Steroid-Induced Osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 1061–1066. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1918.104.22.1681
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 1999
- 11932 The basophil adenomas of the pituitary body and their clinical manifestations (pituitary basophilism) Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp 50:137–195.
- 21998 Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis J Clin Densitometry 1:65–73.
- 31992 Nontraumatic necrosis of bone (osteonecrosis) N Engl J Med 325:1473–1479.
- 41994 Osteonal and hemi-osteonal remodeling: The spatial and temporal framework for signal traffic in adult human bone J Cell Biochem 55:273–286.
- 51995 Bone marrow, cytokines, and bone remodeling: Emerging insights into the pathophysiology of osteoporosis N Engl J Med 332:305–311.,
- 61998 Requirement of BMPs2/4 for postnatal osteoblast and osteoclast formation: Antagonism by noggin Bone 23:S242., , , , , , ,
- 71997 Osf2/Cbfa1: A transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation Cell 89:747–754., , , ,
- 81998 Osteoprotegerin ligand is a cytokine that regulates osteoclast differentiation and activation Cell 93:165–176., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 91998 Identification of an OSF-2 binding site in the murine RANKL/OPGL gene promoter: A potential link between osteoblastogenesis and osteoclastogenesis Bone 23:S149., ,
- 101996 Estrogen promotes apoptosis of murine osteoclasts mediated by TGF-β Nat Med 2:1132–1136., , , , ,
- 111998 Osteoblast programmed cell death (apoptosis): Modulation by growth factors and cytokines J Bone Miner Res 13:793–802., , , ,
- 121990 The osteoblast and osteoclast Bone 1:351–429.
- 131992 Increased osteoclast development after estrogen loss: Mediation by interleukin-6 Science 257:88–91., , , , , , ,
- 141996 Linkage of decreased bone mass with impaired osteoblastogenesis in a murine model of accelerated senescence J Clin Invest 97:1732–1740., , , ,
- 151994 Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. In: MarcusR (ed.) Osteoporosis. Blackwell Science, Boston, MA, U.S.A., pp. 202–226.
- 161989 A prospective: Bone histomorphometry in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis J Bone Miner Res 4:137–141.
- 171995 Intact parathyroid hormone levels are not elevated in glucocorticoid-treated subjects J Bone Miner Res 10:1713–1718., ,
- 181998 Corticosteroid-induced bone loss in men J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:801–806., , , ,
- 191981 Effects of short term glucocorticoid administration on intestinal calcium absorption and circulating vitamin D metabolite concentrations in man J Clin Endocrinol Metab 52:111–115., ,
- 201998 Inhibition of osteoblastogenesis and promotion of apoptosis of osteoblasts and osteoclasts by glucocorticoids: Potential mechanisms of their deleterious effects on bone J Clin Invest 102:274–282., , ,
- 211998 Overexpression of Bcl-2 renders osteoblastic cells refractory to glucocorticoid-induced apoptosis Bone 23:S324., , , , , ,
- 221998 Anatomic juxtaposition of apoptotic osteoclasts and avascular necrosis in femurs from patients with glucocorticoid-excess Bone 23:S461., , , , , ,
- 231997 The death of osteoclasts via apoptosis accompanies oestrogen withdrawal in human bone J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:3128–3135., , ,
- 241960 In vivo osteocyte death J Bone Joint Surg 42A:138–143.
- 251998 Reduction in transforming growth factor beta receptor I expression and transcription factor Cbfa1 on bone cells by glucocorticoid J Biol Chem 273:4892–4896., , , , ,
- 261997 Opposing effects by glucocorticoid and bone morphogenetic protein-2 in fetal rat bone cell cultures J Cell Biochem 67:528–540., , , ,
- 271998 Inhibitory actions of glucocorticoids on skeleton growth: Is local insulin-like growth factor I to blame? Endocrinology 139:3041–3042.
- 281998 Glucocorticoids induce adipogenesis of stromal cells by transcriptionally activating PPARγ2 Bone 23:S454., , , ,
- 291999 Inhibition of Osf2/Cbfa1 expression and terminal osteoblast differentiation by PPAR-gamma 2 J Cell Biochem 74:1–14., , , ,
- 301997 Intermittent etidronate therapy to prevent corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis N Engl J Med 337:382–387., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 311997 Preventing glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis N Engl J Med 337:420–421.
- 321998 Alendronate for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis N Engl J Med 339:292–299., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 331998 Bisphosphonates prevent glucocorticoid-induced apoptosis of osteocytes in vitro: A putative mechanism influencing mechanosensing Bone 23:S157., , , , ,
- 341998 Parathyroid hormone treatment can reverse corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis J Clin Invest 102:1627–1633., , , , ,
- 351998 PTH increases bone formation by postponing osteoblast apoptosis, not by increasing precursor proliferation Bone 23:S519., , , , , , , ,
- 361998 PTH prevents glucocorticoid-induced apoptosis of osteoblasts and osteoclasts in vitro: Direct interference with a private death pathway upstream from caspase-3 Bone 23:S518., , , ,
- 371998 DNA binding of the glucocorticoid receptor is not essential for survival Cell 93:531–541., , , , , , , , , ,
- 381997 Synthetic glucocorticoids that dissociate transactivation and AP-1 transrepression exhibit anti-inflammatory activity in vivo Mol Endocrinol 11:1245–1255., , , , , , ,