Age-Related Osteogenic Potential of Mesenchymal Stromal Stem Cells from Human Vertebral Bone Marrow
Article first published online: 1 JUL 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 1115–1122, July 1999
How to Cite
D'Ippolito, G., Schiller, P. C., Ricordi, C., Roos, B. A. and Howard, G. A. (1999), Age-Related Osteogenic Potential of Mesenchymal Stromal Stem Cells from Human Vertebral Bone Marrow. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 1115–1122. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.19188.8.131.525
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JAN 1999
- Manuscript Revised: 30 NOV 1998
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 1998
- 11970 The development of fibroblast colonies in monolayer cultures of guinea-pig bone marrow and spleen cells Cell Tissue Kinet 3:393–403., ,
- 21988 Stromal stem cells: Marrow-derived osteogenic precursors. In: EveredD, HarnettS (eds.) Cell and Molecular Biology of Vertebrate Hard Tissues. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, U.K. (Ciba Foundation Symposium, 136), pp. 42–60.,
- 31990 Properties and origin of osteoblasts Clin Orthop 252:276–293.
- 41989 Osteogenic stem cells and the stromal system of bone and marrow Clin Orthop 240:270–280.
- 51976 Precursor cells of mechanocytes Int Rev Cytol 47:327–359.
- 61973 Stimulation of differentiation and proliferation of haemopoietic cells in vitro J Cell Physiol 82:461–474., , , ,
- 71992 Hemopoietic functions of marrow-derived osteogenic cells Calcif Tissue Int 51:195–201., , ,
- 81990 Stromal cells in haemopoiesis. In: BockG, MarshJ (eds.) Molecular Control of Haemopoiesis. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, U.K. (Ciba Foundation Symposium, 148), pp. 76–95., , , , , , ,
- 91992 Bone marrow stromal colony formation requires stimulation by haemopoietic cells Bone Miner 18:199–213., , , ,
- 101995 Marrow stromal fibroblasts Calcif Tissue Int 56(Suppl 1):S17.
- 111995 Myogenic cells derived from rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells exposed to 5-azacytidine Muscle Nerve 18:1417–1426., ,
- 121988 Differentiation of muscle, fat, cartilage, and bone from progenitor cells present in a bone-derived clonal cell population: Effect of dexamethasone J Cell Biol 106:2139–2151., ,
- 131987 Clonal analysis in vitro of osteogenic differentiation of marrow CFU-F J Cell Sci 87:731–738., ,
- 141990 Effects of donor age on osteogenic cells of rat bone marrow in vitro Mech Ageing Dev 51:121–132., , ,
- 151992 The number of fibroblastic colonies formed from bone marrow is decreased and the in vitro proliferation rate of trabecular bone cells increased in aged rats Bone 13:355–361., , , ,
- 161995 Age-related bone loss: A hypothesis and initial assessment in mice Clin Orthop 313:69–75., , ,
- 171996 Age-related changes in osteogenic stem cells in mice J Bone Miner Res 11:568–577., , , , ,
- 181997 Characterization of human bone marrow stromal cells with respect to osteoblastic differentiation J Orthop Res 15:546–557., , , ,
- 191995 Influence of age on human marrow Calcif Tissue Int 56(Suppl 1):S50–S51.
- 201996 Isolation and characterization of osteoblast precursor cells from human bone marrow J Bone Miner Res 11:312–324., , , , ,
- 211986 Rates of bone loss in the axial and appendicular skeletons of women: Evidence of substantial vertebral bone loss prior to menopause J Clin Invest 77:1487–1491., , , , ,
- 221992 Longitudinal monitoring of bone mass accumulation in healthy adolescents: Evidence for a marked reduction after 16 years of age at the levels of lumbar spine and femoral neck in female subjects J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:1060–1065., , , , , ,
- 231994 Timing of peak bone mass in Caucasian females and its implication for the prevention of osteoporosis: Inference from a cross-sectional model J Clin Invest 93:799–808., , , , , , , ,
- 241995 Human vertebral bodies as a source of bone marrow for cell augmentation in whole organ allografts. In: RicordiC (ed.) Methods in Cell Transplantation. RG Landes Co., Austin, TX, U.S.A., pp. 619–628., , , , , , , ,
- 251987 Simultaneous demonstration of bone alkaline and acid phosphatase activities in plastic-embedded sections and differential inhibition of the activities Histochemistry 86:559–565., , ,
- 261995 Rapidly forming apatitic mineral in an osteoblastic cell line (UMR 106–01 BSP) J Biol Chem 270:9420–9428., , , ,
- 271997 The thickness of human vertebral cortical bone and its changes in aging and osteoporosis: A histomorphometric analysis of the complete spinal column from thirty-seven autopsy specimens J Bone Miner Res 12:89–95., , , ,
- 281994 Evidence for a diminished maturation of preosteoblasts into osteoblasts during aging in rats: An ultrastructural analysis J Bone Miner Res 9:355–366., , , ,
- 291995 Biomechanical stability of the skeleton—It is not only bone mass, but also bone structure that counts Nephrol Dial Transplant 10:601–606.,
- 301983 Relationships between surface, volume, and thickness of iliac trabecular bone in aging and in osteoporosis: Implications for the microanatomic and cellular mechanisms of bone loss J Clin Invest 72:1396–1409., , , , ,
- 311992 Characterization of cells with osteogenic potential from human marrow Bone 13:81–88., , ,
- 321997 Osteogenic differentiation of purified, culture-expanded human mesenchymal stem cells in vitro J Cell Biochem 64:295–312., , ,
- 331994 Differentiation of human bone marrow osteogenic stromal cells in vitro: Induction of the osteoblast phenotype by dexamethasone Endocrinology 134:277–286., , , ,
- 341994 The effects of dexamethasone and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on osteogenic differentiation of human marrow stromal cells in vitro Arch Oral Biol 39:941–947., , ,
- 351990 Determination of the capacity for proliferation and differentiation of osteoprogenitor cells in the presence and absence of dexamethasone Dev Biol 140:132–138., ,
- 361992 Dexamethasone recruitment of self-renewing osteoprogenitor cells in chick bone marrow stromal cell cultures Blood 79:320–326., , ,
- 371983 Stromal colonies from mouse marrow: Characterization of cell types, optimization of plating efficiency and its effect on radiosensitivity J Cell Sci 61:453–466., , ,
- 381997 Detecting the osteogenic potential of CFU-F in human bone marrow cultures J Bone Miner Res 12:S404., , ,
- 391996 Editorial. Skeletal development and bone turnover revisited J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:2013–2016.
- 401975 Cellular aging—Clonal senescence: A review (part I) Am J Pathol 89:484–511.
- 411987 Cellular senescence revisited: A review Mech Ageing Dev 38:1–48.
- 421996 Regulation of transcription factor activity during cellular aging Biochem Cell Biol 74:523–534., ,
- 431992 Evidence for an inverse relationship between the differentiation of adipocytic and osteogenic cells in rat marrow stromal cell cultures J Cell Sci 102:341–351., , , ,
- 441987 Changes in trabecular bone, hematopoiesis and bone marrow vessels in aplastic anemia, primary osteoporosis, and old age: A comparative histomorphometric study Bone 8:157–164., , , , , , , ,
- 451971 Osteoporosis and the replacement of cell populations of the marrow by adipose tissue: A quantitative study of 84 iliac bone biopsies Clin Orthop 80:147–154., , ,
- 461997 Osf2/Cbfa1: A transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation Cell 89:747–754., , , ,
- 471997 Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development Cell 89:765–771., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 481997 Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts Cell 89:755–764., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,