Direct Three-Dimensional Morphometric Analysis of Human Cancellous Bone: Microstructural Data from Spine, Femur, Iliac Crest, and Calcaneus
Article first published online: 1 JUL 1999
Copyright © 1999 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 1167–1174, July 1999
How to Cite
Hildebrand, T., Laib, A., Müller, R., Dequeker, J. and Rüegsegger, P. (1999), Direct Three-Dimensional Morphometric Analysis of Human Cancellous Bone: Microstructural Data from Spine, Femur, Iliac Crest, and Calcaneus. J Bone Miner Res, 14: 1167–1174. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.1922.214.171.1247
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 1999
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 DEC 1998
- Manuscript Revised: 10 NOV 1998
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 1998
- 11988 The dependence of elastic constants of cancellous bone upon structural density and fabric Trans Orthopaed Res Soc 13:74., , ,
- 21988 On the dependence of elasticity and strength of cancellous bone on apparent density J Biomech 22:155–168., ,
- 31980 Stereological Methods, Vol. 2: Theoretical Foundations. Academic Press, London, U.K.
- 41974 The quantitative morphology of anisotropic trabecular bone J Microsc 101:153–168.
- 51983 Relationships between surface, volume, and thickness of iliac trabecular bone in aging and in osteoporosis Calcif Tissue Int 72:1396–1409., , , , ,
- 61990 A direct method for fast three-dimensional serial reconstruction J Microsc 159:335–342., , ,
- 71989 The direct examination of three-dimensional bone architecture in vitro by computed tomography J Bone Miner Res 4:3–11., , , ,
- 81994 3D computed X-ray tomography of human cancellous bone at 8 μm spatial and 10–4 energy resolution Bone Miner 25:25–38., , , , , , ,
- 91996 A microtomographic system for the non-destructive evaluation of bone architecture Calcif Tissue Int 58:24–29., ,
- 101998 Morphometric analysis of human bone biopsies: A quantitative structural comparison of hisological sections and micro-computed tomography Bone 23:59–66., , , , , ,
- 111994 Volume and surface area of viable chondrocytes in situ using geometric modelling of serial confocal sections J Microsc 173:245–256.
- 121997 A new method for the model independent assessment of thickness in three-dimensional images J Microsc 185:67–75.,
- 131993 Quantification of connectivity in cancellous bone, with special emphasis on 3-D reconstructions Bone 14:173–182.,
- 141997 Quantification of bone microarchitecture with the structure model index Comp Meth Biomech Biomed Eng 1:15–23.,
- 151997 Three-dimensional methods for quantification of cancellous bone architecture Bone 20:315–328.
- 161997 Variations in trabecular bone composition with anatomical site and age: Potential implication for bone quality assessment J Endocrinol 155:411–421., , ,
- 171994 Assessment of quality of bone in osteoporosis BIOMED I: Fundamental study of relevant bone Clin Rheumatol 13(Suppl 1):7–12.
- 181987 Marching Cubes: A high resolution 3D surface construction algorithm Computer Graphics 21:163–169.,
- 191994 Non-invasive bone biopsy: A new method to analyse and display the three-dimensional structure of trabecular bone Phys Med Biol 39:145–164., ,
- 201994 The relationship between the structural and orthogonal compressive properties of trabecular bone J Biomech 27:375–389., , , , ,
- 211997 Method-based differences in the automaded analysis of three-dimensional morphology of trabecular bone J Bone Miner Res 12:942–947.,
- 221987 Bone histomorphometry: Standardization of nomenclature, symbols and units. Report of the ASBMR histomorphometry nomenclature committee J Bone Miner Res 21:595–610., , , , , , ,
- 231984 Characterization of microstructural anisotropy in orthotropic materials using a second rank tensor J Mater Sci 19:761–767.,
- 241988 Age-related changes in cancellous bone structure, a two-dimensional study in the transiliac iliac crest biopsy sites Bone Miner 4:197–216., , , , , ,
- 251995 A new method to determine trabecular bone elastic properties and loading using micromechanical finite-element models J Biomech 28:69–81., , ,
- 261997 The quality of trabecular bone evaluated with micro-computed tomography, FE-A and mechanical testing. In: LowetG, RüegseggerP, WeinansH, MeunierA (eds.) Bone Research Biomechanics. IOS Press, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, pp. 97–112., , , ,
- 271997 Ridge number density: A new parameter for in vivo bone structure analysis Bone 21:541–546., , ,