Heterogeneity in the Growth of the Axial and Appendicular Skeleton in Boys: Implications for the Pathogenesis of Bone Fragility in Men
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 10, pages 1871–1878, October 2000
How to Cite
Bradney, M., Karlsson, M. K., Duan, Y., Stuckey, S., Bass, S. and Seeman, E. (2000), Heterogeneity in the Growth of the Axial and Appendicular Skeleton in Boys: Implications for the Pathogenesis of Bone Fragility in Men. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 1871–1878. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.10.1871
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUN 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUN 2000
- Manuscript Received: 6 JAN 2000
- 11994 Symptomatic fracture incidence in elderly men and women: The Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study (DOES). Osteoporos Int 4:277–282., , , , ,
- 2The European Vertebral Osteoporosis Study Group 1996 The prevalence of vertebral deformity in European men and women: The European Vertebral Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 11:1010–1018., , , , , ,
- 31996 Prevalence of vertebral deformities in Chinese men and women in urban Taiwanese communities. Calcif Tissue Int 59:249–253., , , ,
- 41997 Vertebral deformities and functional impairment in men and women. J Bone Miner Res 12:152–157., , , , , , ,
- 51996 Prevalence and severity of vertebral fracture: The Saunders County Bone Quality Bone Study. Osteoporos Int 2:160–165., , ,
- 61992 Hip fractures in the elderly: A world-wide projection. Osteoporos Int 2:285–289., ,
- 71995 Determinants of reduced survival following hip fractures in men. Clin Orthop 319:260–265., , ,
- 82000 Fracture site-specific deficits in bone size and volumetric density in men with spine or hip fractures. (submitted)., , , ,
- 91997 Osteopenia is common in young first-degree male relatives of men with osteoporosis. ANZBMS, Annual Scientific Meeting, Australia 7:65., , , ,
- 101962 A study of bone growth in normal children and its relationship to skeletal maturation. J Bone Joint Surg 44B:42–67.
- 111971 Segments superior et inferier au cours de la croissance physiologue des filles. Arch Franc Ped 28:1057–1071.,
- 121999 The differing tempo of growth in bone size, mass, and density in girls is region-specific. J Clin Invest 104:795–804., , , , ,
- 132000 On exposure to anorexia nervosa, the temporal variation in axial and appendicular skeletal development predisposes to site-specific deficits in bone size and density: A cross-sectional study. J Bone Miner Res (in press), ,
- 142000 Short stature and delayed puberty: Influence of selection bias on leg length and reduced energy intake on trunk length in gymnasts. J Pediatr 136:149–155., , , , ,
- 151983 Non-invasive Bone Measurements in Skeletal Research, vol. 9. Academic Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., pp. 277–343.
- 161992 New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. J Bone Miner Res 7:137–145., ,
- 171996 Bone mass, areal and volumetric bone density are equally accurate, sensitive, and specific surrogates of the breaking strength of the vertebral body: An in vitro study. J Bone Miner Res 11:1981–1988., , , ,
- 181978 Mathematical handling of long-term longitudinal data. In: FalknerF, TannerJ (eds.) Human Growth: Principles and Prenatal Growth, 1st ed., vol. 1. Plenum Press, New York, NY, U.S.A., and London, U.K., pp. 209–225.
- 191974 Growth and body proportions in 54 boys and men with Klinefelters syndrome. Helevetica Paediatrica Acta 29:325–333., , , ,
- 201997 From density to structure: Growing up and growing old on the surfaces of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12:509–521.
- 211998 Growth in bone mass and size: Are racial and gender differences in bone density more apparent than real? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:1–6.
- 221994 Estrogen resistance caused by a mutation in the estrogen-receptor gene in a man. N Engl J Med 331:1056–1061., , , , , , , ,
- 231997 Aromatase inhibition impairs skeletal modeling and decreases bone mineral density in growing male rats. Endocrinology 138:2301–2307., , , , ,
- 241993 Turner Syndrome adolescents receiving growth hormone are not Osteopenic. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 76:861–866., , ,
- 251999 The effects of gonadectomy on bone size, mass, and volumetric density in growing rats are gender-, site-, and growth hormone-specific. J Bone Miner Res 14:802–809., , , ,
- 261995 Treatment with growth hormone and IGF-1 in growing rats increases bone mineral content but not bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 10:1352–1358., , , , , ,
- 271996 Volumetric bone mineral density in normal subjects, aged 5–27 years. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1586–1590., , , ,
- 281970 The earlier gain and later loss of cortical bone. Nutritional Perspectives. Charles C. Thomas, Publisher, Spingfield, IL, U.S.A., pp. 3–120.
- 291998 Differential effect of race on the axial and appendicular skeletons of children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:1420–1427., , , , , ,
- 302000 Normative data for iliac bone histomorphometry in growing children. Bone 26:103–109., , , , , ,
- 311998 Exercise before puberty may confer residual benefits in bone density in adulthood: Studies in active prepubertal and retired female gymnasts. J Bone Miner Res 13:500–507., , , , , ,