Calcium Accretion in Girls and Boys During Puberty: A Longitudinal Analysis
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 11, pages 2245–2250, November 2000
How to Cite
Bailey, D. A., Martin, A. D., McKay, H. A., Whiting, S. and Mirwald, R. (2000), Calcium Accretion in Girls and Boys During Puberty: A Longitudinal Analysis. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 2245–2250. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.11.2245
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 3 APR 2000
- Manuscript Received: 3 DEC 1999
- 11988 Lifetime fracture risk: An approach to hip fracture risk assessment based on bone mineral density and age. J Clin Epidemiol 41:985–994., , ,
- 21996 Total body calcium and bone mineral content: Comparison of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry with neutron activation analysis. J Bone Miner Res 11:843–848., , , ,
- 31997 Bone mineral and calcium accretion during puberty. Am J Clin Nutr 66:611–615., , , ,
- 41962 Growth at Adolescence, 2nd Ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, U.K.
- 51997 The Saskatchewan pediatric bone mineral accrual study: Bone mineral acquisition during the growing years. Int J Sports Med 18(Suppl 3):S191–S194.
- 61995 Dietary intakes of children age 8 to 15 years living in Saskatoon. J Can Diet Assoc 56:119–125., ,
- 71997 Calcium retention in relation calcium intake and postmenarcheal age in adolescent females. Am J Clin Nutr 66:327–333., , , , , ,
- 8Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine 1997 Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride. National Academy Press, Washington D.C., pp. 4–28.
- 91991 Calcium absorption efficiency and calcium requirements in children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 54(Suppl):261S–265S.
- 101985 Bone mass in normal children and young adults. Growth 49:34–43., ,
- 111994 Timing of peak bone mass in Caucasian females and its implication for the prevention of osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 93:799–808., , , , , , , ,
- 121994 Supplementation trials with calcium citrate malate: Evidence in favor of increasing the calcium RDA during childhood and adolescence. J Nutr 124(Suppl 8):1412S–1417S., ,
- 131994 The two faces of growth: Benefits and risks to bone integrity. Osteoporos Int 4:382–398.
- 141989 Epidemiology of fractures of the distal end of the radius in children as associated with growth. J Bone Joint Surg 71A:1225–1231., , , ,
- 151993 Calcium supplementation and bone mineral density in adolescent girls. JAMA 270:841–844., , , , , , , ,
- 161992 Calcium supplementation and increases in bone mineral density in children. N Engl J Med 327:82–87., , , , , ,
- 171997 A co-twin study of the effect of calcium supplementation on bone density during adolescence. Osteoporos Int 7:219–225., , , , , , , , ,
- 181994 Double-blind, controlled calcium supplementation and bone mineral accretion in children accustomed to a low-calcium diet. Am J Clin Nutr 60:744–750., , , , , , ,
- 191996 A follow-up study on the effects of calcium supplement withdrawal and puberty on bone acquisition of children. Am J Clin Nutr 64:71–77., , ,
- 201997 Calcium enriched foods and bone mass growth in prepubertal girls: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Invest 99:1287–1294., , , , ,
- 211994 Familial comparison of bone mineral density at the proximal femur and lumbar spine. Bone Miner 24:95–107., , ,
- 221997 The effect of water fluoridation on the bone mineral density of young women. Can J Public Health 88:388–394., , , ,
- 231995 Differences in calcium metabolism between adolescent and adult females. Am J Clin Nutr 61:577–581., , , , , ,
- 241996 Increased efficiency of calcium absorption during short periods of inadequate calcium intake in girls. Am J Clin Nutr 63:579–583., , , ,
- 251997 Calcitriol and bone mass accumulation in females during puberty. Calcif Tissue Int 61:104–109., , , , ,
- 261999 Bone mineral measurements: A comparison of delayed gamma neutron activation, dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry and direct chemical analysis. Osteoporos Int 10:200–206., , , , , , , , ,