Presented in part at the 18th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., 1996
Structural Trends in the Aging Femoral Neck and Proximal Shaft: Analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry Data†
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 12, pages 2297–2304, December 2000
How to Cite
Beck, T. J., Looker, A. C., Ruff, C. B., Sievanen, H. and Wahner, H. W. (2000), Structural Trends in the Aging Femoral Neck and Proximal Shaft: Analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry Data. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 2297–2304. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.12.2297
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAY 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 27 MAR 2000
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUL 1999
- 11988 Age and bone mass as predictors of fracture in a prospective study. J Clin Invest 81:1804–1809., ,
- 21998 Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 338:736–746.
- 31996 Randomized trial of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 348:1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 41996 Drug therapy for vertebral fractures in osteoporosis: Evidence that decreases in bone turnover and increases in bone mass both determine antifracture efficacy. Bone 18:197S–201S., ,
- 51993 Pathophysiology of bone fragility. In: ChrisiansenC, RiisBJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Osteopress, Copenhagen, Denmark, pp. 164–166.
- 61999 Changing perspectives in osteoporosis. BMJ 318:862–5.
- 71984 Non-invasive measurement of long bone cross-sectional moment of inertia by photon absorptiometry. J Biomech 17:195–201.,
- 81996 Estimation of various mechanical characteristics of human bones using dual energy x-ray absorptiometry. Bone 18:S517–S527., , , , ,
- 91992 Sex differences in geometry of the femoral neck with aging: A structural analysis of bone mineral data. Calcif Tissue Int 50:24–29., , , , ,
- 101993 Age-related changes in female femoral neck geometry: Implications for bone strength. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1):S41–S46., ,
- 111994 Age-related differences in cross-sectional geometry of the forearm bones in healthy women. Calcif Tissue Int 54:113–118., , , ,
- 121977 Age and sex related changes in the structure and strength of the human femoral shaft. J Biomech 10:223–231.,
- 131982 Subperiosteal expansion and cortical remodeling of the human femur and tibia with aging. Science 217:945–948.,
- 141964 Femoral expansion in aging women: Implications for osteoporosis and fractures. Science 145:156–157.,
- 151996 The bone organ system: Form and function. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 3–22.
- 16National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) 1994 Plan and operation of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-94. Vital Health Stat 1(32) National Center for Health Statistics, DHHS Publication No. (PHS)94-1308, Hyattsville, MD, U.S.A.
- 171994 Quality control of bone densitometry in a national health survey (NHANES III) using three mobile examination centers. J Bone Miner Res 9:951–960., , , , ,
- 181996 A curved beam model of the proximal femur for estimating stress using DXA derived structural geometry. J Orthop Res 14:483–492., , , ,
- 191990 Predicting femoral neck strength from bone mineral data: A structural approach. Invest Radiol 25:6–18., , , ,
- 201997 Biomechanics of cortical and trabecular bone: Implications for assessment of fracture risk. In: HayesWC, MowVC (eds.) Basic Orthopaedic Biomechanics, 2nd Ed. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A., pp. 69–111.,
- 211997 Distribution of trabecular and cortical bone related to geometry. A quantitative computed tomography study of the femoral neck. Invest Radiol 32:83–89., ,
- 221999 Structure of the femoral neck in hip fracture: Cortical bone loss in the inferoanterior to superoposterior axis. J Bone Miner Res 14:111–119., , , , , , ,
- 231991 SUDAAN User's Manual, Release 5.50. Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC, U.S.A., , ,
- 241996 Radiology of osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 1019–1054., ,
- 251999 Disproportionate, age-related bone loss in long bone ends: A structural analysis based on dual energy x-ray absorptiometry. Osteoporos Int 10:295–302., , , ,
- 261997 On our age-related bone loss: Insights from a new paradigm. J Bone Miner Res 12:1539–1546.
- 271997 Muscle strength, bone mass, and age-related bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12:1547–1551.
- 281996 Skeletal development: Mechanical consequences of growth, aging and disease. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 333–350., ,
- 291993 Mechanobiologic influences in long bone cross-sectional growth. Bone 14:635–642., ,
- 301996 Determinants of femoral geometry and structure during adolescent growth. J Orthop Res 14:22–29., , , ,
- 311995 Developmental mechanics determine long bone allometry. J Theor Biol 172:323–327.,
- 321997 Varying body mass index cutoff points to describe overweight prevalence among U.S. adults: NHANES III (1988-1994). Obes Res 5:542–548., , ,
- 331992 Hip fractures in the elderly: A worldwide projection. Osteoporos Int 2:285–289., ,
- 341992 Proximal femur strength: Correlation of the rate of loading and bone mineral density. Adv Bioeng 22:111–114., , ,
- 351995 Ultrasound and density of the calcaneus correlate with failure loads of cadaveric femurs. Calcif Tissue Int 55:99–103., ,
- 361995 Risk factors for hip fracture in white women: The study of osteoporotic fractures. N Engl J Med 332:767–773., , , , , , , ,
- 371990 Hip fracture incidence among the old and the very old: A population-based study of 745,435 cases. Am J Publ Health 80:871–873., , , , ,
- 381989 Lifetime risks of hip, Colles', or vertebral fracture and coronary heart disease among white postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 149:2445–2448., ,
- 391988 Sex differences in age related remodeling of the femur and tibia. J Orthop Res 6:886–896.,
- 401998 Bone size and mechanics at the femoral diaphysis across age and sex. J Biomech 31:1101–1110., , , ,
- 411998 Associations of physical activity and calcium intake with bone mass and size in healthy women at different ages. J Bone Miner Res 13:133–142., , , , ,
- 421995 Stress distributions within the proximal femur during gait and falls: Implications for osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 5:252–261., ,
- 431980 Principles of construction of the lower extremity. Their significance for the stressing of the skeleton of the leg. In: PauwelsF (ed.) Biomechanics of the Locomotor Apparatus. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, pp. 193–204.
- 441964 Healing of the femoral neck fracture. Conference on Aseptic Necrosis of the Femoral Head. Surgery Study Section, National Institutes of Health, St. Louis MO, U.S.A., pp. 465–489.
- 451978 The diagnostic value of buttressing of the femoral neck. Arthritis Rheum 21:161–164.,
- 461953 The role of capsular changes in osteoarthritic of the hip joint. Br J Bone Joint Surg 35B:627–642.
- 471998 Fall direction, bone mineral density and function: Risk factors for hip fracture in frail nursing home elderly. Am J Med 104:539–545., , , ,
- 481996 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III. Weighting and Estimation Methodology. WESTAT, Inc., Rockville, MD, U.S.A., , , , , ,
- 491992 Nonresponse adjustments in a national health survey. Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Section on Survey Research Methods. American Statistical Association, Alexandria VA, U.S.A., pp. 339–344.,
- 501994 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Accounting for Item Nonresponse Bias, WESTAT, Inc., Rockville, MD, U.S.A., ,
- 511998 Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of US Adults. Osteoporos Int 8:468–489., , , , , , ,