Biomechanics of Fracture: Is Bone Mineral Density Sufficient to Assess Risk?
Version of Record online: 1 DEC 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 12, pages 2305–2308, December 2000
How to Cite
Mccreadie, B. R. and Goldstein, S. A. (2000), Biomechanics of Fracture: Is Bone Mineral Density Sufficient to Assess Risk?. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 2305–2308. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.12.2305
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 DEC 2000
- 12000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry data. J Bone Miner Res Int 15:2297–2304., , , ,
- 21999 Interim report and recommendations of the World Health Organization task-force for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 10:259–264., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 31998 Skeletal Tissue Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA, p. 276., ,
- 41996 Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 312:1254–1259., ,
- 51999 Comments on the hypotheses underlying fracture risk assessment in osteoporosis as proposed by the World Health Organization. Calcif Tissue Int 64:267–270., ,
- 61999 Risk factors for hip fracture not related to bone mass and their therapeutic implications. Osteoporos Int 2(Suppl):S9–S16.
- 71996 Impact direction from a fall influences the failure load of the proximal femur as much as age-related bone loss. Calcif Tissue Int 58:231–235., , , ,
- 82000 The contribution of trabecular architecture to cancellous bone quality. J Bone Miner Res 15:20–23.
- 91993 Simple measurement of femoral geometry predicts hip fracture: The study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 8:1211–1217., , , , ,
- 102000 Determinants of bone loss from the femoral neck in women of different ages. J Bone Miner Res 15:24–31., , , ,
- 111993 Long-term fracture prediction by bone mineral assessed at different skeletal sites. J Bone Miner Res 8:1227–1233., , , ,
- 121989 The predictive value of quantitative computed tomography for vertebral body compressive strength and ash density. Bone 10:465–470., , ,
- 131997 Unraveling the role of structure and density in determining vertebral bone strength. Calcif Tissue Int 61:474–479., , , , ,
- 142000 Bone matters: Are density increases necessary to reduce fracture risk? J Bone Miner Res 15:183–187.
- 151980 The bone mineral content and ultimate compressive strength of lumbar vertebrae. Spine 5:46–55., ,
- 161977 The compressive behavior of bone as a two-phase porous structure. Am J Bone Joint Surg 59A:954–962.,
- 171993 Cortical aging differences and fracture implications for the human femoral neck. Bone 14:769–778.,
- 181985 Are patients with hip fractures more osteoporotic? Review of the evidence. Am J Med 78:487–494.
- 19The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group 1994 Prediction of hip fractures from pelvic radiographs: The study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 9:671–677., , , , , , , ,
- 201994 Geometric structure of the femoral neck measured using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry. J Bone Miner Res 9:1053–1064., , , , , , ,
- 211997 Different morphometric and densitometric parameters predict cervical and trochanteric hip fracture: The EPIDOS study. J Bone Miner Res 12:1895–1902., , , , , , ,
- 221994 Do variations in hip geometry explain differences in hip fracture risk between Japanese and white Americans? J Bone Miner Res 9:1071–1076., , , , , , , , ,
- 231994 Relationship between increase in length of hip axis in older women between 1950s and 1990s and increase in age specific rates of hip fracture. BMJ 309:508–509., , ,
- 241993 Age-related changes in female femoral neck geometry: Implications for bone strength. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1):S41–S46., ,
- 251991 Correlations between vertebral regional bone mineral density (rBMD) and whole bone fracture load. Spine 16:146–154., , ,
- 261995 Static and fatigue failure properties of thoracic and lumbar vertebral bodies and their relation to regional density. J Biomech 28:891–899., , , , ,
- 271989 Prediction of the compressive strength of human lumbar vertebrae. Spine 14:606–610., ,
- 281989 Prediction of vertebral strength by dual photon absorptiometry and quantitative computed tomography. Calcif Tissue Int 44:243–250., ,
- 291991 Biologically meaningful determinants of the in vitro strength of lumbar vertebrae. Bone 12:219–224., , , , , ,
- 301995 Vertebral size in elderly women with osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 95:2332–2337., , , , ,
- 311990 The use of quantitative computed tomography to estimate risk of fracture of the hip from falls. Am J Bone Joint Surg 72A:689–700.,
- 322000 Age-related changes in bone mass, structure, and strength—effects of loading. Z Rheumatol 59(Suppl 1):1–9.
- 331989 Sex differences in age-related loss of vertebral trabecular bone mass and structure—biomechanical consequences. Bone 10:425–432.
- 341986 Normal vertebral body size and compressive strength: Relations to age and to vertebral and iliac trabecular bone compressive strength. Bone 7:207–212.,
- 351988 Sex differences in age-related remodeling of the femur and tibia. J Orthop Res 6:886–896.,
- 361996 Etiology and prevention of age-related hip fractures. Bone 18:77. S-86S, , , , ,
- 371994 Fall severity and bone mineral density as risk factors for hip fracture in ambulatory elderly. JAMA 27:128–133., , , ,
- 381994 Effects of loading rate on strength of the proximal femur. Calcif Tissue Int 55:52–58., , ,
- 391994 The relationship between the structural and orthogonal compressive properties of trabecular bone. J Biomech 27:375–389., , , ,
- 401993 Measurement and significance of three-dimensional architecture to the mechanical integrity of trabecular bone. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1):S127–S133., ,
- 411988 Correlation of mechanical properties of vertebral trabecular bone with equivalent mineral density as measured by computed tomography. Am J Bone Joint Surg 70A:1531–1538., , , , , , , ,
- 421987 The microanatomy of trabecular bone loss in normal aging men and women. Clin Orthop Rel Res 215:260–270., ,
- 431988 Age-related changes in cancellous bone structure: A two-dimensional study in the transiliac and iliac crest biopsy sites. Bone Miner 4:197–216.., , , , , ,
- 442000 Variations in three-dimensional cancellous bone architecture of the proximal femur in female hip fractures and in controls. J Bone Miner Res 15:32–40., , ,
- 451997 Bone microdamage and skeletal fragility in osteoporotic and stress fractures. J Bone Miner Res 12:6–15., , , , ,
- 461994 Aging changes in osteon mineralization in the human femoral neck. Bone 15:147–152., ,
- 472000 Spatial clustering of remodeling osteons in the femoral neck cortex: A cause of weakness in hip fracture? Bone 26:305–313., , , , ,
- 481988 The effect of porosity and mineral content on the Young's modulus of elasticity of compact bone. J Biomech 21:131–139.
- 491988 Changes in quality of bone mineral on aging and in disease. Scanniny Microsc 2:1045–1054.,
- 501993 Age and disease-related changes in the mineral of bone. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1):S57–S64.
- 512000 Geometry of osteocyte lacunae and deformation of osteocytes in aging females. Ph.D. thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, U.S.A.
- 522000 Genetics of fracture: Challenges and opportunities. J Bone Miner Res 15:1253–1256.,
- 531999 The genetics of osteoporosis. Bone 25:85–86.
- 541999 The diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis: Future prospects. Mol Med Today 5:133–140., ,
- 551983 Evidence for two distinct syndromes of involutional osteoporosis. Am J Med 75:899–901.,
- 561991 Regular review: Strategies for prevention of osteoporosis and hip fracture. BMJ 303:453–459., ,
- 571996 Clinical utility of bone mass measurements in adults: Consensus of an international panel. Semin Arthritis Rheum 25:361–372., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 581999 Recent progress in understanding the genetic susceptibility to osteoporosis. Genet Epidemiol 16:356–367., ,