Presented in part as concurrent sessions at the 19th and 20th Annual Scientific Meetings of the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research, Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A. (1997) and San Francisco, California, U.S.A. (1998), as well as the Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals at the 33rd Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington, D.C., U.S.A. (1997)
Effect of Dietary Protein on Bone Loss in Elderly Men and Women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study†
Version of Record online: 1 DEC 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 12, pages 2504–2512, December 2000
How to Cite
Hannan, M. T., Tucker, K. L., Dawson-Hughes, B., Cupples, L. A., Felson, D. T. and Kiel, D. P. (2000), Effect of Dietary Protein on Bone Loss in Elderly Men and Women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 2504–2512. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.12.2504
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 DEC 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUL 2000
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2000
- 11994 Epidemiology of osteoporosis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 20:535–559.
- 21995 How many women have osteoporosis now? J Bone Miner Res 10:175–177.
- 31994 Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis: Synopsis of a WHO report. Osteoporos Int 4:368–381.
- 41993 Nutritional factors in osteoporosis. Annu Rev Nutr 13:287–316.
- 51920 Calcium requirements of maintenance in man. J Biol Chem 44:21–27.
- 61954 The influence of dietary protein on specific renal functions in normal man. J Lab Clin Med 44:320–332., , ,
- 71974 Effect of protein intake on calcium balance of young men given 500 mg calcium daily. J Nutr 104:695–700.,
- 81970 Effect of level of protein intake on urinary and fecal calcium and calcium retention of young adult males. J Nutr 100:1425–1430., ,
- 91974 Studies in calcium metabolism. I. The calciuretic effect of dietary protein. Am J Clin Nutr 27:584–589., , ,
- 101972 Calcium retention in the adult human male as affected by protein intake. J Nutr 102:1297–1302.,
- 111994 Improved mineral balance and skeletal metabolism in postmenopausal women treated with potassium bicarbonate. N Engl J Med 330:1776–1781., , , ,
- 121988 Dietary factors in bone health of elderly lacto-ovovegetarian and omnivorous women. Am J Clin Nutr 48(Suppl 3):842–849.,
- 131992 Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture: A hypothesis. Calcif Tissue Int 50:14–18., ,
- 141989 Bone mineral content in postmenopausal women: Comparison of omnivores and vegetarians. Am J Clin Nutr 50:517–523., , , , , ,
- 151992 Protein depletion and metabolic stress in elderly patients who have a fracture of the hip. Am J Bone Joint Surg 74:251–260., , , ,
- 161996 Nutritional aspect of hip fractures. Bone 18(Suppl 3):139S–144S., ,
- 171982 Nutrition in orthopaedic surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am 64:1263–1272., , , ,
- 181983 Undernutrition, hypothermia, and injury in elderly women with fractured femur: An injury response to altered metabolism? Lancet 1:143–146., ,
- 191951 Epidemiological approaches to heart disease: The Framingham Study. Am J Public Health 41:279–286., ,
- 201980 The Framingham Study. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, U.S.A.
- 211970 The Framingham Study: An epidemiological investigation of cardiovascular disease. In: KannelW, Gordon, T (eds.) U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington D.C., U.S.A.
- 221992 Bone mineral density in elderly men and women: Results from the Framingham Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 7:547–553., ,
- 232000 Risk factors for longitudinal bone loss in elderly men and women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 15:710–720., , , , , ,
- 241995 The effects of analytic software and scan analysis technique on the comparison of dual X-ray absorptiometry with dual photon absorptiometry of the hip in the elderly. J Bone Miner Res 10:1130–1136., , , , ,
- 251992 Reproducibility and validity of an expanded self-administered semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire among male health professionals. Am J Epidemiol 135:1114–1126., , , , ,
- 261985 Reproducibility and validity of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 122:51–65., , , , , , ,
- 271993 Comparison of micronutrient intake measured by a dietary questionnaire and biochemical indicators of micronutrient status. Am J Clin Nutr 57:182–189., , , , ,
- 281990 Nutritional Epidemiology Monographs in Epidemiology & Biostatistics, vol. 13. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, U.S.A.
- 291990 Caffeine and the risk of hip fracture: The Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol 132:675–684., , , ,
- 301995 Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 332:767–773., , , , , , , ,
- 311988 Alcohol consumption and hip fractures: The Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol 128:1102–1110., , ,
- 321995 Alcohol intake and bone mineral density in elderly men and women. The Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol 142:485–492., , , ,
- 331993 Habitual physical activity is not associated with knee osteoarthritis: The Framingham Study. J Rheumatol 20:704–709., , ,
- 341979 Some health benefits of physical activity. The Framingham Study. Arch Intern Med 139:857–861.,
- 351993 The effect of postmenopausal estrogen therapy on bone density in elderly women. N Engl J Med 329:1141–1146., , , , ,
- 361986 Total energy intake: Implications for epidemiologic analyses. Am J Epidemiol 124:17–27.,
- 371999 Estimates of animal and plant protein intake in U.S. adults: Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1991. J Am Diet Assoc 99:813–820., , ,
- 381994 Energy and macronutrient intakes of persons ages 2 months and over in the United States: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, phase I, 1988-1991. Advance data from Vital and Health Statistics 255. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD, U.S.A., , , , , , ,
- 391981 Protein-induced hypercalciuria. Fed Proc 40:2429–2433., , ,
- 401981 Calcium metabolism in postmenopausal and osteoporotic women consuming two levels of dietary protein. Am J Clin Nutr 34:2178–2186.,
- 411988 Dietary intake and bone mineral density. Bone Miner 4:265–277., , ,
- 421983 Dietary risk factors for age-related bone loss and fractures. Lancet 2:1181–1185.
- 431979 Protein-induced hypercalciuria: A longer term study. Am J Clin Nutr 32:741–749., ,
- 441993 Dietary factors influencing calcium and bone metabolism: Introduction. J Nutr 123:1609–1610.
- 451985 Correlates of mid-radius bone density among postmenopausal women: A community study. Am J Clin Nutr 41:1045–1053., ,
- 461986 Relationships between usual nutrient intake and bone-mineral content of women 35-65 years of age: Longitudinal and cross-sectional analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 44:863–876., ,
- 471999 Prospective study of dietary protein intake and risk of hip fracture in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 69:147–152.,
- 481992 Effect of diet and lifestyle on bone mass in Asian young women. Am J Clin Nutr 55:1168–1173., , , ,
- 491993 Relationship between bone mineral density and dietary intakes in the elderly. Osteoporos Int 3:242–248., , , , , , ,
- 501990 Dietary supplementation in elderly patients with fractured neck of the femur. Lancet 335:1013–1016., , , , ,
- 511992 Benefits of oral protein supplementation in elderly patients with fracture of the proximal femur. J Am Coll Nutr 11:519–525., , , , , ,
- 521997 Increased circulating concentrations of parathyroid hormone in healthy, young women consuming a protein-restricted diet. Am J Clin Nutr 66:1188–1196., , , , , ,
- 531998 Dietary protein affects intestinal calcium absorption. Am J Clin Nutr 68:859–865., ,
- 541998 Protein supplements increase serum insulin-like growth factor I levels and attenuate proximal femur bone loss in patients with recent hip fracture. Ann Intern Med 128:801–809., , , , ,
- 551987 Serum protein concentrations and bone mineral content in aging normal men. Am J Clin Nutr 46:614–621., , , ,
- 561975 Studies in calcium metabolism. II. Effects of low calcium and variable protein intake on human calcium metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 28:1028–1035., ,
- 571994 Increased protein requirements in elderly people: New data and retrospective reassessments. Am J Clin Nutr 60:501–509., , , ,
- 581982 Human protein requirements: Assessment of the adequacy of the current recommended dietary allowance for dietary protein in elderly men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 35:6–14., , , ,
- 591992 Nutrition in the elderly: The Boston nutritional status survey. Smith-Gordon and Company, Ltd., London, U.K., ,