Changes in Cortical Bone Mineralization in the Developing Mandible: A Three-Dimensional Quantitative Computed Tomography Study
Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 700–709, April 2000
How to Cite
Maki, K., Miller, A., Okano, T. and Shibasaki, Y. (2000), Changes in Cortical Bone Mineralization in the Developing Mandible: A Three-Dimensional Quantitative Computed Tomography Study. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 700–709. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.4.700
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 DEC 1999
- Manuscript Revised: 18 OCT 1999
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 1999
- 11981 Looking at mibular growth: Some new geometric methods. In: CarlsonDS (ed.) Craniofacial Biology, Monograph 10. Center for Human GrowthDevelopment, Ann Arbor, MI, U.S.A., pp. 83–103.
- 21990 Facial Growth. W B Publisher, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.
- 31987 Mechanical strength of tibial trabecular bone evaluated by x-ray computed tomography. J Biomech 20: 743–752., ,
- 41996 The mechanical or metabolic function of secondary osteonal bone in the monkey. Archs Oral Biol 41: 941–950.,
- 51976 Bone compressive strength: The influence of density and strain rate. Science 194: 1174–1176.,
- 61991 Effect of bone distribution in vertebral strength assessment with patient-specific non-linear finite element analysis. Radiology 179: 669–674., ,
- 71988 Three-dimensional quantitative CT of the proximal femur: Relationship to vertebral trabecular bone density in postmenopausal women. Radiology 167: 145–149., ,
- 81997 The application of three-dimensional quantitative computed tomography to the maxillofacial skeleton. J Dent Maxillofac Radiol 26: 39–44., , , ,
- 91988 Quantitative computed tomography of the rheumatic knee. Clin Rheumatol 7: 486–491., ,
- 101992 Three-dimensional finite element stress analysis of the dentate human mandible. Am J Phys Anthropol 88: 69–96., ,
- 111985 Finite element method modeling of craniofacial growth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 87: 453–472., ,
- 121997 Jaw muscle structurefunction. In: McNeill, C (ed.) SciencePractice of Occlusion. Quintessence Publishing Co., Chicago, IL, U.S.A., pp. 41–49.
- 131997 The supporting structuresdental adaptation. In: McNeillC (ed.) SciencePractice of Occlusion. Quintessence Publishing Co., Chicago, IL, U.S.A., pp. 79–94., ,
- 141997 In vivo bone strain patterns in the craniofacial region of primates. In: McNeillC (ed.) SciencePractice of Occlusion. Quintessence Publishing Co., Chicago, IL, U.S.A., pp. 165–178.,
- 151981 Craniofacial development in the absence of muscle contraction. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 1: 341–357.,
- 161985 Bone-muscle interactions in the muscular dystrophic mouse. Eur J Orthod 7: 185–192., ,
- 171994 Effects of mechanical loading on the profile of human femoral diaphyseal geometry. Med Eng Phys 16: 75–81., ,
- 181997 Development of the mibular form: Phylogeny, ontogeny, function. In: McNeillC (ed.) SciencePractice of Occlusion. Quintessence Publishing Co., Chicago, IL, U.S.A., pp. 3–22.,
- 191937 The face of the normal child. Angle Orthod 7: 209–233.
- 201979 The inappropriateness of conventional cephalometrics. Am J Orthod 75: 599–617.,
- 211997 Volumetric quantitative computed tomography of the proximal femur: Precision and relation to bone strength. Bone 21: 101–108., ,
- 221988 Craniomandibular bone density in the primate as assessed by computed tomography. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 93: 117–125., , ,
- 231993 Size of cortical bone and relationship to bone mineral density assessed by quantitative computed tomography image segmentation. Invest Radiol 28: 802–805., , , ,
- 241997 Muscle strength, bone mass, and age-related bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1547–1551.
- 251987 Mechanical stressskeletal morphogenesis, maintenance, degeneration. In: CarterDR (ed.) Transactions of the Orthopaedic Research Society, vol. 12. Adept Printing, Chicago, IL, U.S.A., p. 462., , , ,
- 261994 Influences on skeletal mineralization in children and adolescents: Evidence for varying effects of sexual maturation and physical activity. J Pediatr 125: 201–207., , , , ,
- 271996 Adaptation of bone to altered loading environment: A biomechanical approach using X-ray absorptiometric data from the patella of a young woman. Bone 19: 55–59., ,
- 281991 The mandibular bone mineral content in relation to vestibulolingual sulculoplasty. J Prosthet Dent 65: 804–808.,
- 291987 The relationship between physical activitybone density. In: CarterDR (ed.) Transactions of the Orthopaedic Research Society, vol. 12. Adept Printing, Chicago, U.S.A., p. 463., ,
- 301987 The mechanostat: A proposed pathogenic mechanism of osteoporosis and the bone mass effects of mechanical and nonmechanical agents. Bone Miner 2: 73–85.
- 311989 Structure, FunctionAdaptation of Compact Bone. Raven Press, New York, NY, U.S.A.,
- 321997 Estrogen regulates the rate of bone turnover but bone balance in ovariectomized rats is modulated by prevailing mechanical stain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 4199–4204., , , , , ,
- 331998 Estrogen and bone-muscle strength and mass relationships. Bone 22: 1–6., ,
- 341996 Influence of muscle strength on bone strength during childhood and adolescence. Horm Res 45(Suppl 1): 63–66., , , , , ,
- 351994 Mineral density in the mandibles of partially and totally edentate postmenopausal women. Scand J Dent Res 102: 64–67., ,
- 361993 Development of bone mass and bone density of the spine and femoral neck—a prospective study of 65 children and adolescents. Bone Miner 23: 171–182., , ,
- 371986 Bone Mass of Mibles. Royal Dental College, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 381997 Evaluation of vertebral volumetric vs. areal bone mineral density during growth. Bone 20: 553–556., , ,
- 391994 Deformation of the human jaw during simulated tooth clenching. J Dent Res 73: 56–66.,